10 years in prison!

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Madam President 2024
TV pitchman Kevin Trudeau sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for bilking book buyers

9323683_600x338.jpg

CHICAGO — Best-selling author Kevin Trudeau, whose name became synonymous with late-night TV pitches, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday for bilking consumers through ubiquitous infomercials for his book, "The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About."

As he imposed the sentence prosecutors had requested, U.S. District Judge Ronald Guzman portrayed the 50-year-old Trudeau as a habitual fraudster going back to his early adulthood. So brazen was Trudeau, the judge said, he once even used his own mother's Social Security number in a scheme.

"Since his 20s, he has steadfastly attempted to cheat others for his own gain," Guzman said, adding that Trudeau is "deceitful to the very core."

Trudeau, whose trademark dyed black hair turned partially gray as he awaited sentencing in jail, showed little emotion as the stiff sentence was handed down at the hearing in Chicago.

Addressing the judge earlier in a 10-minute statement, Trudeau apologized and said he's become a changed man. He said he's meditated, prayed and read self-help books while locked up at Chicago's Metropolitan Correctional Center.

"I have truly had a significant reawakening," said Trudeau, who was dressed in orange jail clothes. "If I ever do an infomercial again ... I promise: No embellishments, no puffery, no lies."

While Trudeau appeared calm throughout the hearing, one of his supporters interrupted the judge at one point and began to speak. After cutting the judge short a second time, the man dropped to the floor and refused to leave. U.S. marshals carried him out of the courtroom.

Jurors convicted Trudeau of criminal contempt in November for defying a 2004 court order barring him from running false ads about the weight-loss book. Despite the order, he aired the infomercials at least 32,000 times, according to prosecutors.

*snip*

TV pitchman Kevin Trudeau sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for bilking book buyers

9323683_600x338.jpg

CHICAGO — Best-selling author Kevin Trudeau, whose name became synonymous with late-night TV pitches, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday for bilking consumers through ubiquitous infomercials for his book, "The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About."

As he imposed the sentence prosecutors had requested, U.S. District Judge Ronald Guzman portrayed the 50-year-old Trudeau as a habitual fraudster going back to his early adulthood. So brazen was Trudeau, the judge said, he once even used his own mother's Social Security number in a scheme.

"Since his 20s, he has steadfastly attempted to cheat others for his own gain," Guzman said, adding that Trudeau is "deceitful to the very core."

Trudeau, whose trademark dyed black hair turned partially gray as he awaited sentencing in jail, showed little emotion as the stiff sentence was handed down at the hearing in Chicago.

Addressing the judge earlier in a 10-minute statement, Trudeau apologized and said he's become a changed man. He said he's meditated, prayed and read self-help books while locked up at Chicago's Metropolitan Correctional Center.

"I have truly had a significant reawakening," said Trudeau, who was dressed in orange jail clothes. "If I ever do an infomercial again ... I promise: No embellishments, no puffery, no lies."

While Trudeau appeared calm throughout the hearing, one of his supporters interrupted the judge at one point and began to speak. After cutting the judge short a second time, the man dropped to the floor and refused to leave. U.S. marshals carried him out of the courtroom.

Jurors convicted Trudeau of criminal contempt in November for defying a 2004 court order barring him from running false ads about the weight-loss book. Despite the order, he aired the infomercials at least 32,000 times, according to prosecutors.

*snip*

Tried the 'Velcro technique' eh? He probably should have taken tips from a 2 year old. Can never get them up when they lay flat on the ground shit, almost as if they are suctioned cupped to the floor. Or better yet, tips from my dog who hates her bath and somehow Velcro's herself to the floor, impossible to move.

Honestly, I cannot believe that this charlatan was still allowed to run around free. It just made a mockery of our entire justice system. I am glad to see him getting what is coming to him. But I am sure that in about a decade from now we’ll be seeing him on TV again pandering his cruddy wares.

But I find the sins of the Televangelist snake-oil sellers who prey on the sick, infirm, elderly and gullible people of faith exponentially more egregious. If he deserved 10yrs they deserve 50. They emulate his tactics and are hugely more successful at fleecing their flock and are blessed with tax free status as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9oBCLwwL0]Inside Edition Investigates TV Preachers Living Like Rock Stars - YouTube[/ame]

Anyone stupid enough to buy something from an infomercial deserves to be swindled.

All people like him should be put out of business. However, most apparently stay within the law and can't be prosecuted. This guy broke the law. It isn't that he is worse than others or deserves punishment more than others, it is that he went outside the law, broke the law. I am sure that most of the others deserve as much punishment, but they have so far been able to skirt the law. That's the only difference.

Will this pave the way to throw the Hussein in prison for being a fraud and lying to the American public for so long?

"If I ever do an infomercial again ... I promise: No embellishments, no puffery, no lies."

Thats funny

Anyone stupid enough to buy something from an infomercial deserves to be swindled.

Sounds like you have a plan for one of your own.

False advertising is an epidemic in this country. Corporate business is allowed to deceive everybody. As the cons say, "greed is good".
Wait till you see the tv ads for the republican and democratic parties the next seven months. Promises promises promises.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back