12 Obsolete Manly Activities And What You Can Replace Them With

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
A Public Service Announcement:

Let's face facts. The "manliness" you hear old people talking about is outdated and tired. It's time to move on from the prehistoric concepts of masculinity and onto the new way to be male. Here are 12 things considered "manly" that are now woefully obsolete. Along with each, we've proposed a better, more up-to-date alternative.

OBSOLETE MANLY THING #1: Chivalry
Any idea that has been around for more than thirty years is old hat. Chivalry, if it were a hat, would be one of those stupid ruffly hats they wore in old French paintings. It is an archaic practice that assumes women can’t accomplish basic tasks such as opening doors, pull seats out from tables, and walk without holding onto some man’s arm. It’s time to retire this tired, sexist trope that parades around pretending to be a form of respect and admit women have no need for male door charity.

Glad to see you linked to a satire site for that.

I'd hate to think anyone took it seriously

I'm a Sean Connery Knight though. That's where Chivalry has you looking at my junk in the first scene, here.

You'd almost think it wasn't satire

You'd almost think it wasn't satire

Muggeridge's Law"

"We live in an age in which it is no longer possible to be funny. There is nothing you can imagine, no matter how ludicrous, that will not promptly be enacted before your very eyes, probably by someone well known."

A Public Service Announcement:

Let's face facts. The "manliness" you hear old people talking about is outdated and tired. It's time to move on from the prehistoric concepts of masculinity and onto the new way to be male. Here are 12 things considered "manly" that are now woefully obsolete. Along with each, we've proposed a better, more up-to-date alternative.

Any idea that has been around for more than thirty years is old hat. Chivalry, if it were a hat, would be one of those stupid ruffly hats they wore in old French paintings. It is an archaic practice that assumes women can’t accomplish basic tasks such as opening doors, pull seats out from tables, and walk without holding onto some man’s arm. It’s time to retire this tired, sexist trope that parades around pretending to be a form of respect and admit women have no need for male door charity.

Na, my mom still hits us if we are rude to woman or old people.

Disagree 100%. My man has to be a gentleman. I grew up in South Carolina. Chivalry is still alive and well. When I was in HS, if a boy came to the house to pick me up for a date, Daddy wouldn't let me go outside to meet him until the boy got out of the car and rang the front doorbell.
To this day, I will sit in the car until my date opens the car door for me. It's just the way I was raised.

Disagree 100%. My man has to be a gentleman. I grew up in South Carolina. Chivalry is still alive and well. When I was in HS, if a boy came to the house to pick me up for a date, Daddy wouldn't let me go outside to meet him until the boy got out of the car and rang the front doorbell.
To this day, I will sit in the car until my date opens the car door for me. It's just the way I was raised.

My best half had to re train me by doing the same thing.

*sigh*

I agree. But this was satire.

Forum List

Back