14 y.o. black intrudor shot and killed in Louisiana, white home owner arrested.

It was 2 AM

The home owner told the asshole to freeze
The asshole then reached to his hip

I would assume that he was going fora weapon
A cop would assume he was going for a weapon

A cop would shoot the asshole.

So why shouldn't the home owner shoot the asshole?

Because he didn't have a weapon and wasn't really a threat?

Oh, wait, he's living the dream. Shooting some darky who made you wet your pants.

The ironic thing is, this guy probably has a better justification that that POS Zimmerman, but NOLA will nail him to the wall.

Incidently, a cop who shot a kid under these circumstances would be suspended and thoroughly investigated and would probably be a career-ender.

It was 2 AM

Oh, wait, he's living the dream. Shooting some darky who made you wet your pants.

The ironic thing is, this guy probably has a better justification that that POS Zimmerman, but NOLA will nail him to the wall.

Incidently, a cop who shot a kid under these circumstances would be suspended and thoroughly investigated and would probably be a career-ender.

A cop would get a few weeks off with pay and then get his job back.

It was 2 AM

A cop would get a few weeks off with pay and then get his job back.

You cannot be serious. I provided you with an actual situation which speaks to your hypothetical. Care to respond?

You know? I live in Texas which has not only the "stand your ground" laws, but they also have the "castle doctrine".

Stand your ground to me means if you come into my house, I have the right to shoot you if I feel threatened.

Castle doctrine means that if I feel you're a threat on my property, I have the right to tell you to leave in a specific amount of time (mine is 30 seconds because I live on a small property, as in a town lot), and if you don't, I have the right to remove you as I see fit.

I'd rather that they left alive, so they can tell others not to screw with me.

But.....................if you're stupid enough to stay beyond that time, I'm gonna see how quick you can leave your meat suit.

Sorry...........................but don't fuck with me or my property.

The guy over reacted but we need to teach our children to respect someone's property. Do you agree?

Farther back. Parents need to be held accountable. Where were the parents?

Not there parenting so get past that and deal with the situation. This thief kid should have not have been shot in this Instance. There are some I. here who says he should have been shot. I highly disagree.

Put the meth down for a while. You are making no sense whatsoever.

What all of you gun nuts fail to realize, criminals have the right to break into your home. If the perp gets in, then rapes, tortures and murders your family, it's your fault you didn't retreat fast enough.......

Maybe in your state, not in mine.

The shooter is relying on the Louisiana Castle statute which is as follows:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78336

This was also reported in the NY Daily News:

A 14-year-old New Orleans boy was shot in the head early Friday morning after a homeowner said the unarmed teen was trying to break into his house.

Homeowner Merritt Landry, 33, who lives in Marigny, allegedly shot Marshall Coulter after fearing for his safety, and told friends and family he thought the teen had a gun.

New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was burglar: police - NY Daily News

Unfortunately, these types of statutes allow anyone to interpret then utilize them which leads to unnecessary injury or death. I do not have a problem with the man being arrested there will be an investigation and should the facts support his actions he will be exonerated, if not this could serve as a warning to those who may have a predisposition toward acting without thinking.

14:19 only if the kid survives

Even if the 14 year old dies and if the requisite elements are present. "...the law said the use of force was justifiable when preventing an offense against one's personal safety or the safety of one's property, but only if the amount of forced used was "reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent such offense."

The law also stated homicide was justifiable in similar cases: when committed in self-defense by one who "reasonably believes" he is in danger of great bodily harm or death; to prevent a forcible felony; and to prevent trespass on private property"
Understanding Louisiana's Stand-Your-Ground and Castle Laws | NOLA.com

Thereafter La. R.S. 14:20 or La. R.S. 14:21 may apply depending on the facts.

if the kid dies

14:19 is gone

Title 14. Criminal Law

§19. Use of force or violence in defense

A. The use of force or violence upon the person of another is justifiable when committed for the purpose of preventing a forcible offense against the person or a forcible offense or trespass against property in a person’s lawful possession, provided that the force or violence used must be reasonable and apparently necessary to prevent such offense, and that this Section shall not apply where the force or violence results in a homicide.

Law of Self Defense ? LA §19. Use of force or violence in defense

14:20 comes into play

Law of Self Defense ? LA §20. Justifiable homicide

At 14 Marshall Coulter was already an accomplished burglar. I hope that he recovers and is able to answer for his crimes.

There is a surveillance video, if that video shows anything resembling Coulter reaching for his waistband, Landry's charges will be dropped.

He was reaching for.......

I already acknowledged him being a piece of shit thief. But THIS shoot was wrong. I honestly think this shooter I'd going down for this.one. he should have waited until the kid broke in and blew his fucking head off. Period. Well, at least that is the law here and I fully support that.

I think he should have waited too. That's what I would have done. Then blown his head clean off his body emptying the clip.

However, if the surveillance video shows this burglar making a move, even if he was only hiking up his pants, this is going to be a good shoot.

What kind of video surveillance, I'm wondering. Home security system? The thing this guy does not have going for him that Zimmerman had is that he was not beaten to a bloody pulp like Zimmerman was.

And while I'm at it, when the fuck did every little petty shooting start making national news. This is a local matter. Who gives a fuck? A little punk who should have been at home asleep, but was out carousing around in the wee hours of the morning gets himself shot. That isn't groundbreaking news. The big deal here is his parents should be charged with child neglect. Likely they are in prison and the grandmother was raising him.

Let's wait and see the video.

IMO, this is more clear cut than Zimmerman.

Kid was where he shouldn't have been...the homeowner really wasn't expecting to find a person inside the secure area behind the locked fence.

Startled, he announces himself.

FYI, when you have a firearm, it is not a stretch to assume the intruder has one as well, especially in N.O. with it's high murder rate.

The homeowner sees what he believes is a reach for a weapon and shoots.

No one is going to convict this guy.

The trespasser Climbing over a locked gate is responsible for the outcome of this encounter.

It's not like he was cutting across the lawn, if that was the case, I'd agree that the homeowner was not justified...but being surprised by an intruder behind a locked gate is a different situation altogether.

Seriously? NOLA is 60% black.

Black or African American alone, percent definition and source info Black or African American alone, percent, 2010 (a) 60.2% 32.0%

New Orleans (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

He was reaching for.......

I already acknowledged him being a piece of shit thief. But THIS shoot was wrong. I honestly think this shooter I'd going down for this.one. he should have waited until the kid broke in and blew his fucking head off. Period. Well, at least that is the law here and I fully support that.

I think he should have waited too. That's what I would have done. Then blown his head clean off his body emptying the clip.

However, if the surveillance video shows this burglar making a move, even if he was only hiking up his pants, this is going to be a good shoot.

What kind of video surveillance, I'm wondering. Home security system? The thing this guy does not have going for him that Zimmerman had is that he was not beaten to a bloody pulp like Zimmerman was.

And while I'm at it, when the fuck did every little petty shooting start making national news. This is a local matter. Who gives a fuck? A little punk who should have been at home asleep, but was out carousing around in the wee hours of the morning gets himself shot. That isn't groundbreaking news. The big deal here is his parents should be charged with child neglect. Likely they are in prison and the grandmother was raising him.

true however in many self defense claims the shooter suffers

not as much as a scratch

The kid intended to burglarize the home, probably intending to get in and let his friend in. There really isn't much of a defense to the attempted burglary charge. If Coulter lives, he'll be under arrest before he leaves the hospital. After that, it's all about the waistband move.

Reality check. If he lives the American taxpayers will likely be paying his nursing home bill for the next 60 years.

The asshole intruder was up to no good.

You don't climb a fence into someone's yard at 2 AM because your delivering girl scout cookies.

According to the article:

"Merritt Landry, 33, fired one shot at a teen when he saw him in his front yard on Mandeville Street in the Marigny around 2 a.m., according to the NOPD."

According to the specific language of the Statute, the use of deadly force is not allowed unless the person against whom the deadly force is used was in the process of breaking in the dwelling or had already broken into the dwelling. Shooting someone who had merely trespassed into the yard is not justified.

Edited to add: I am assuming that the homeowner was inside the dwelling when he shot the intruder who was in the yard.

Of course the shooting wasn't justified. You don't shoot someone because you think they might be going to break into your house. You lock your damned door and phone the police, like any other normal, responsible person would do.

So, the guy with the gun is the numbskull, but the kid who scaled a fense onto someone else's property is what? A genius?

You guys are fucked in the head.

The boy shouldn't have scaled the fence and entered someone's property, but he hadn't even attempted to break into the home when he was shot. Just because someone trespasses on your property does not automatically mean they are going to break in.

Its not relevant as to why he wasn't tucked up in bed. The idiot who owned the house decided that instead of locking his doors and phoning the police, he'd go hunting ******* instead.

What was the kid doing trespassing, climbing over locked gated, at 2am?

How was the home owner to know the kid wasn't going to break in?

IMHO, the homeowner did nothing wrong what-so-ever.

There is nothing "obvious" that the kid was taking a short cut.

Doesn't the idea of private property mean anything to anyone anymore?

According to the law, as posted by The Professor, the man did indeed commit a crime.

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS ?????

you need to attend a safe gun handling class......., ooops....! i forgot, you are in Australia, that aside, in my self defense class the instructor and CCW instructor both instruct from an FBI, approved class on when to use your weapon to take out a perp, so let's determine what your definition of "F2F" means.. OK?

Yeah, I am serious, you useless sack of shit.

Know what we'd do if someone trespassed on our property? Lock the doors, and call the cops and tell them of a home invasion in progress.

That's the responsible thing to do. Defend yourself with deadly force if the intruders enter your home, but we don't shoot first and ask questions later.

Too many gun nuts in America.

Isn't it about time for you to go suck off a kangaroo?

You don't have to live here. Seriously. We don' want you.

You seem to be forgetting your own country's beginnings as a penal colony. You are descended from thieves and murderers. Better go catch that kangaroo now. Ye hear.

Perhaps its because I live in a country, and in an area where I don't have to concern myself with break ins. Who knows.

Not everyone has the privilege to live in such a country. The US is becoming overrun with minorities, poor, and criminals. The government isn't doing anything to fix the problem either.

She doesn't even concern herself with the well known mal treatment of her country's indigenous peoples. She is a lying hypocrite.

You know? I live in Texas which has not only the "stand your ground" laws, but they also have the "castle doctrine".

Stand your ground to me means if you come into my house, I have the right to shoot you if I feel threatened.

Castle doctrine means that if I feel you're a threat on my property, I have the right to tell you to leave in a specific amount of time (mine is 30 seconds because I live on a small property, as in a town lot), and if you don't, I have the right to remove you as I see fit.

I'd rather that they left alive, so they can tell others not to screw with me.

But.....................if you're stupid enough to stay beyond that time, I'm gonna see how quick you can leave your meat suit.

Sorry...........................but don't fuck with me or my property.

Castle doctrine does not allow you to shoot if they are in your yard knocking on your daughters window or waking you up yelling at you in protest even at night. You need to show they intend to commit a felony, B&E, rob, rape, harm or kill. I suggest placing a screw driver, knife or pry bar in their hand after shooting to prove they were about to break in or harm you with those tools.

Last edited:

not as much as a scratch

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not saying that is a requirement. I'm saying that was a fortunate thing for Zimmerman that this guy does not have going for him. That, alone, is going to make it very hard for him to prevail merely because there are so many blacks calling for a sacrificial lamb. This may be it for them. And NOLA is 60% black.

I'd like to read a case about a shooter being let off the hook because the perp was attempting forcible entry. I can't locate one in NOLA online.

not as much as a scratch

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm not saying that is a requirement. I'm saying that was a fortunate thing for Zimmerman that this guy does not have going for him. That, alone, is going to make it very hard for him to prevail merely because there are so many blacks calling for a sacrificial lamb. This may be it for them. And NOLA is 60% black.

could be along way down the road to a trial

there isnt much known about evidence at this time

the shooter claims the guy was reaching for something a weapon in his pocket

not as much as a scratch

could be along way down the road to a trial

there isnt much known about evidence at this time

the shooter claims the guy was reaching for something a weapon in his pocket

More on NOLAs Law:

La. R.S. 14:20 states, among other things, that a homicide is justifiable when “committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger.”

The statute says a homicide is justifiable when “committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle ... against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.”

La. R.S. 14:21 states that the aggressor cannot claim self-defense “unless he withdraws from the conflict in good faith and in such a manner that his adversary knows or should know that he desires to withdraw and discontinue the conflict.”

Ask The Advocate: Castle Doctrine | Home | The Advocate ? Baton Rouge, LA

So in Louisiana retreat is required.

Forum List

Back