$15 an Hour Minimum Wage?

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
I think instead of that, congress should get paid less and we need to get rid of a lot of governmental systems and pay less taxes. Just look how we are taxed:

Tax his land,
Tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirts,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his booze,
Tax his beers,
If he cries,
Tax his tears.

Tax his bills,
Tax his gas,
Tax his notes,
Tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know
That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers,
Tax him more,
Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin, Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,
"Taxes drove me to my doom!"

And when he's gone,
We won't relax,
We'll still be after the inheritance TAX !!

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax),
IRS Penalties (tax on topof tax),
Liquor Tax,
Luxury Tax,
Marriage License Tax,
Medicare Tax,
Property Tax,
Real Estate Tax,
Service charge taxes,
Social Security Tax,
Road Usage Tax (Truckers),
Sales Taxes,
Recreational Vehicle Tax,
School Tax,
State Income Tax,
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA),
Telephone Federal Excise Tax,
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax,
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax,
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax, Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax,
TelephoneState and Local Tax,
Telephone Usage Charge Tax,
Utility Tax,
Vehicle License Registration Tax,
Vehicle Sales Tax,
Watercraft Registration Tax,
Well Permit Tax,
Workers Compensation Tax.

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and there was prosperity, absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and there was prosperity, absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

Uh, guy, you think that there was "prosperity" in the 1920's?

Really?

Despite the fact there were two massive depressions in that time, even during the supposedly "good" years, most people in the US lived in grinding poverty.

For many Americans, the 1920s was a decade of poverty. More than 60 per cent of Americans lived just below the poverty line.

Generally, groups such as farmers, black Americans, immigrants and the older industries did not enjoy the prosperity of the “Roaring Twenties”.

Now, yeah, by the 1950's we had a middle class, because

The rich were forced to pay their fair share.
We had a workforce that was 33% unionized, allowing working people to join the "middle class".
Government took proactive measures to reduce the effect of recessions.

Uh, guy, you think that there was "prosperity" in the 1920's?

Really?

Despite the fact there were two massive depressions in that time, even during the supposedly "good" years, most people in the US lived in grinding poverty.

For many Americans, the 1920s was a decade of poverty. More than 60 per cent of Americans lived just below the poverty line.

Generally, groups such as farmers, black Americans, immigrants and the older industries did not enjoy the prosperity of the “Roaring Twenties”.

Now, yeah, by the 1950's we had a middle class, because

The rich were forced to pay their fair share.
We had a workforce that was 33% unionized, allowing working people to join the "middle class".
Government took proactive measures to reduce the effect of recessions.
You didn't need 2 salaries to pay a mortgage in the 1920's.
You could afford to have kids in the 20's.

Maybe next time.

Senate votes down $15 minimum wage during vote-a-rama. Bernie Sanders seems unfazed. (yahoo.com)

" By a voice vote, for example, the senators approved an amendment from Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) to "prohibit the increase of the federal minimum wage during a global pandemic." Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is one of the heavy lifts in Biden's proposal. "
It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia). The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades. It costs have.

Maybe next time.

Senate votes down $15 minimum wage during vote-a-rama. Bernie Sanders seems unfazed. (yahoo.com)

" By a voice vote, for example, the senators approved an amendment from Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) to "prohibit the increase of the federal minimum wage during a global pandemic." Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is one of the heavy lifts in Biden's proposal. "
It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia). The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades. It costs have.

The minimum wage hasn’t been raised in decades.

Decades?

When was the last time it was raised?

Maybe next time.

Decades?

Last time a increase was passed was 2007 under Bush.

Maybe next time.

Australia? Where you pay 1 dollar for 1 lemon?

Maybe next time.

Decades?

Last time a increase was passed was 2007 under Bush.

really?

Obama didn't raise it from $7.25 to $7.80 in 2009??

Creating a mood in this direction could be good for all of us: I mean the workers could do their job. The problem is, it's not the same structure in all town: so it can't be the same everywhere.

Also, we need another type of money. There is no food for all.

Wow. . . with everything that they voted on. . . I can hardly tell we have a new president or a new congress.

iu

In 1972 the minimum wage was $2/hr. Inflation adjusted that's $12.50.

What's the current minimum wage?

five bucks LESS than that?

Yea we need a major increase...and getting ahead of inflation for once is not a bad idea

None other than Leftist guru Dr. Paul Krugman - Nobel Prize winning economist - opined in his first textbook that the very existence of a Minimum Wage was an economic abomination. Then he turned into a Leftist stooge. But I digress. For the ignoramus who say things like, "It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia)," I post the following explanation.

At all times and places there is an "economic minimum wage" ("EMW").That is the wage below which essentially nobody is willing to work. In my neighborhood, for example, the fast food joints all have signs out right now saying that they are hiring at $11.00/hr. That is the EMW in my area. As long as the Legal Minimum Wage ("LMW") is equal to or below the EMW, there is no "harm" caused by an increase in the LMW.

The "studies" that show no harm in increases to the LMW focus on locales where the EMW was already higher than the LMW, so the change to the LMW was inconsequential. This is the case now with $15 in NYC, Chicago, and similar areas.

When the LMW far exceeds the EMW, the economic price is substantial. Lost jobs, reduced hours, closed businesses, and all that. In Mississippi, a $15 LMW would be devastating. And many other areas of the country.

Congress knows this, and essentially all of the blathering about the $15MW is nonsense. When the time comes, the LMW will be incrementally increased in such a way as to cause no harm. And there you have it.

As a small business owner, myself, I would say that the current minimum wage of 7.25 is too low, but to raise it to 15 in one fell swoop? What are these numb nuts thinking other than trying to finish off the job they started when they shut down so many small businesses in March? The large corporations would be able to weather such an increase just fine, but many small businesses will not.

This is just one more step in the ongoing process of eliminating the little guy so the giants can capitalize.

As a small business owner, myself, I would say that the current minimum wage of 7.25 is too low, but to raise it to 15 in one fell swoop? What are these numb nuts thinking other than trying to finish off the job they started when they shut down so many small businesses in March? The large corporations would be able to weather such an increase just fine, but many small businesses will not.

This is just one more step in the ongoing process of eliminating the little guy so the giants can capitalize.

So what do you pay your employees? Does it have to be a federal law to make you pay a higher rate?

None other than Leftist guru Dr. Paul Krugman - Nobel Prize winning economist - opined in his first textbook that the very existence of a Minimum Wage was an economic abomination. Then he turned into a Leftist stooge. But I digress. For the ignoramus who say things like, "It’s been proven that a higher minimum wage is good for the economy and ultimately doesn’t hurt business (see Australia)," I post the following explanation.

At all times and places there is an "economic minimum wage" ("EMW").That is the wage below which essentially nobody is willing to work. In my neighborhood, for example, the fast food joints all have signs out right now saying that they are hiring at $11.00/hr. That is the EMW in my area. As long as the Legal Minimum Wage ("LMW") is equal to or below the EMW, there is no "harm" caused by an increase in the LMW.

The "studies" that show no harm in increases to the LMW focus on locales where the EMW was already higher than the LMW, so the change to the LMW was inconsequential. This is the case now with $15 in NYC, Chicago, and similar areas.

When the LMW far exceeds the EMW, the economic price is substantial. Lost jobs, reduced hours, closed businesses, and all that. In Mississippi, a $15 LMW would be devastating. And many other areas of the country.

Congress knows this, and essentially all of the blathering about the $15MW is nonsense. When the time comes, the LMW will be incrementally increased in such a way as to cause no harm. And there you have it.
Assertions backed up by ....what? Nothing?

Oh...

Minimum wages are never increased in "one fell swoop". They are always incremental over time.

Glad to clear that up and get you behind the MW

Minimum wages are never increased in "one fell swoop". They are always incremental over time.

Glad to clear that up and get you behind the MW

Minimum wages are never increased in "one fell swoop" They are always incremental over time..
Going from $7.80 to $15 doesn't seem 'incremental' to me.

Forum List

Back