16 dead in Texas hot air balloon crash

Don't know if the power lines caused the crash or not, but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them...

Again, possible, but you are assuming. Just because power lines are in a picture taken from over a mile away does not mean they hit them. Trees are in the picture too. Does this mean they also were impaled to death?

Police responded to the report of a fiery car crash only to find it was a hot air balloon basket on fire with 16 dead onboard.

Hot air balloon crashes in Texas - CNN.com
There are no survivors in the crash of a hot air balloon Saturday in Lockhart, Texas, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said in a statement to CNN affiliate TWC News Austin.
The Federal Aviation Administration said there were 16 people on board.

[Original story, published at 12:20 p.m. ET]
A large hot-air balloon carrying at least 16 people caught fire in flight and crashed in a central Texas pasture Saturday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The crash happened in Lockhart, about 30 miles south of Austin, around 7:40 a.m. CT, FAA representative Lynn Lunsford said.

Time to ban Hot Air Balloons....outside of the Civil War, why does a civilian need one?

Time to ban Hot Air Balloons....outside of the Civil War, why does a civilian need one?
ROFL Don't give the Nanny Staters any ideas. Remember how they went batshit when John-John flew his airplane into the water off Martha's Vineyard at night? The Nanny Staters were screaming everything from banning GA flying to banning night flying to imposing harsh restrictions on GA pilots to fly at night.

Fatal Aircraft Accident Involving John F. Kennedy, Jr.

Police responded to the report of a fiery car crash only to find it was a hot air balloon basket on fire with 16 dead onboard.

Hot air balloon crashes in Texas - CNN.com
There are no survivors in the crash of a hot air balloon Saturday in Lockhart, Texas, the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said in a statement to CNN affiliate TWC News Austin.
The Federal Aviation Administration said there were 16 people on board.

[Original story, published at 12:20 p.m. ET]
A large hot-air balloon carrying at least 16 people caught fire in flight and crashed in a central Texas pasture Saturday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The crash happened in Lockhart, about 30 miles south of Austin, around 7:40 a.m. CT, FAA representative Lynn Lunsford said.
I guess now that both the RNC and DNC are over there was not enough hot air circulating to keep that fateful balloon afloat!

ROFL Don't give the Nanny Staters any ideas. Remember how they went batshit when John-John flew his airplane into the water off Martha's Vineyard at night? The Nanny Staters were screaming everything from banning GA flying to banning night flying to imposing harsh restrictions on GA pilots to fly at night.

Fatal Aircraft Accident Involving John F. Kennedy, Jr.

Interesting. I recall the accident very well, but do not recall a word of anyone advocating any changes in flight regulations as a result of it.

... My concern isn't for those doing it. If they want to do something stupid and harm themselves, that's their choice. My concern is with the innocent people they tend to hit.
That's the point. The odds of dying in a car accident are much higher than being shot much less killed in a terrorist attack.

Obviously, if one is a drug dealing gang-banger who doesn't drive, their odds of being shot are greatly increased.

Injury Facts Chart

I got the point you were making. If someone wants to do something stupid and it gets them killed, I don't care.

The argument used by those supporting gun control is that "cars, unlike guns, were created to kill". I understand that but I've yet to have one of those control freaks tell me despite that being true how someone killed by a NUT misusing a car is less dead than someone killed by a NUT misusing a gun.

Don't know if the power lines caused the crash or not, but based on the fire burning on them, the balloon clearly hit them...

Again, possible, but you are assuming. Just because power lines are in a picture taken from over a mile away does not mean they hit them. Trees are in the picture too. Does this mean they also were impaled to death?

It's a safe assumption given there's a fire burning on the power line. That's not to say the balloon wasn't already on fire and on it's way down when it hit the power line, but it certainly appears the balloon hit it.

They may have hit power lines.
A good point, but if so, that's low enough for some to survive and get out.
Not if they were electrocuted.
True, but have you ever wondered why birds can sit on a high power line and not be electrocuted?

How about how these pilots survived impact of high power lines without being electrocuted?
Pictured: Pilot's miracle escape after tangle in high-voltage power lines
article-1046392-025251BA00000578-200_468x286.jpg

Boeing Field Aircraft Pilot Rescue by Tukwila Fire Ladder54
plane2.jpg

They are not grounded. Touch something that allows the circuit to be completed between the high voltage and ground and you are TOAST!

On that note, too many live in fear as proved by the amount of fearful/fear-mongering posts on this forum plus those responding to news articles.

People don't fear being one of the 30,000+ dying on American roads every year**, but do fear becoming a victim of a terrorist attack or "gun violence" when the odds strongly against both for the vast majority of Americans.

**They feel they're safe drivers with nothing to fear and seem to ignore the fact a large portion of those deaths are caused by drunk drivers slamming into other cars.

not only drunk drivers but also inattentive drivers

texting snapchatting and more

i do a lot of driving out here in the Dakotas

not a day that goes by i see at least two cars with two wheels over the center line

with their faces buried in a phone texting

sometimes they dont even have a clue that i just past by them
Agreed. The fact remaining that too many people live in fear of something highly unlikely to happen (such as having a hot air balloon basket fall on them) but ignore the fact the likely cause of their eventual death is the Big Mac they are chowing down upon.

article-1341683-0C952D21000005DC-539_468x467.jpg
That poor chair.

How sad. :( Not a very pleasant way to go.
As a pilot, I know things like this are messy, but except for a few seconds o heart-pounding excitement the sudden stop at the end is painless.

Catching on fire? Doesn't sound to me like they died immediately. I think being burned alive is probably one of the most horrible of ways to die.
A dead marriage is worse...
Anything you'd like to discuss?

AgI got the point you were making. If someone wants to do something stupid and it gets them killed, I don't care.

The argument used by those supporting gun control is that "cars, unlike guns, were created to kill". I understand that but I've yet to have one of those control freaks tell me despite that being true how someone killed by a NUT misusing a car is less dead than someone killed by a NUT misusing a gun.
Agreed people have the inalienable right to lead their own lives even if it kills them. Oddly, this was a liberal attitude, not a conservative one in 1776.

In those days, the Federalists were the conservatives and the liberals were the anti-Federalists. Funny how times change, eh?

their web site says they can do 16 on a balloon fleet.....they may have hit wires...that sounds like they may have been too heavy and could not rise fast enough...a lot of questions.....did the 16 include the pilot?

you would fall....or be electrocuted...none of it nice ....i will say...its a most pleasant experience...the only noise is the fuel jet and the dogs below ya barking.....you get a real floating sensation....i did it before i realized how dangerous it was...

That poor chair.
True, but think about the profits for the chairmakers and McDonald's! Do you want to destroy America by encouraging people to lose weight???
I have very little sympathy for people as depicted in this photo. If it's not a staged photo, then she clearly has no interest in taking responsibility for her health. On the one hand I say tough luck if you have a heart attack, you did it to yourself. On the other hand, and more important, taxpayers end up footing the bill because these people have no insurance, or are wiped out.

This is what Obamacare has been diminishing greatly.

It's a safe assumption given there's a fire burning on the power line. That's not to say the balloon wasn't already on fire and on it's way down when it hit the power line, but it certainly appears the balloon hit it.
Disagreed, but thanks for the insight on how you tend to jump to conclusions.

I don't know if the balloon hit the lines or not, but that video is not proof it did. You are guessing.

I have very little sympathy for people as depicted in this photo. If it's not a staged photo, then she clearly has no interest in taking responsibility for her health. On the one hand I say tough luck if you have a heart attack, you did it to yourself. On the other hand, and more important, taxpayers end up footing the bill because these people have no insurance, or are wiped out.

This is what Obamacare has been diminishing greatly.
Agreed. OTOH, I also have very little sympathy for people who cower in fear inside their homes; too scared to take a risk. We've all been given a gift of life. Some choose to live it, others seek to bury it like money in a mattress.

One of my favorite quotes:
Auntie Mame: Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Forum List

Back