16 year old IL boy shot and killed by police while riding bike AFTER

So the question becomes how did a 16 year old with mental illness acquire a gun?

Not legally, that's for sure. Because even if he hadn't been mentally ill, it would be illegal for a nyone to have that gun in chicago. Yet he still got it despite all those laws.

So you make the incorrect inference that because Chicago has strict gun laws, yet a person not legally entitled to a gun acquired a gun anyway, that gun laws ‘don’t work.’

You might want to Google ‘rhetorical fallacy.’

or a liar

Go ahead link me to a thread you started dealing with Mental health and the need for universal care. One that is not also a thread on guns, gun violence or an attempt to justify taking guns from everyone.

As for mental conditions... I have several. Delusional Paranoia for one, and I take meds for it. I suffer from repeating episodes of major Depression also, again on meds for it. Guess what? I own firearms and can legally buy a firearm anytime I want.

Why you ask? Because the law is clear, unless competent authority ( Judge) rules I am unfit I do not lose that right due to my illness. Or if I were ever involuntarily committed ( again requires a Judge to do so).

I am mid 50's and suffered these conditions at least since I was 16. I spent almost 16 years in the Marine Corps. I have never shot anyone, threatened to shoot anyone or otherwise made an attempt to harm another person.

I repeat Truthmatters link us a thread where you worry about mental health universal care that does not involve guns in some way.

Still waiting Truthmatters.

So the question becomes how did a 16 year old with mental illness acquire a gun?

Not legally, that's for sure. Because even if he hadn't been mentally ill, it would be illegal for a nyone to have that gun in chicago. Yet he still got it despite all those laws.

So you make the incorrect inference that because Chicago has strict gun laws, yet a person not legally entitled to a gun acquired a gun anyway, that gun laws ‘don’t work.’

You might want to Google ‘rhetorical fallacy.’

At least we agree that gun laws dont work and they should stop trying to pass more of them.

Strictly speaking, the nutters are right about this one - more guns (the cops) succeeded in stopping a mass shooting.

You would think the libs would be happy about this.
An actual gun nut taken off the streets and nobody died......except for the gun nut of course.

So, you believe that all gun nuts are mentally ill?

Why do you believe he was a gun nut?

My impression is just that he had some mental health issues.

The 16 year old's mental illness is irrelevant when he is shooting a gun at the police and others. Besides, I would think anyone who does that is nuts to begin with.

I had to read that a couple of times to make sure I heard what you said. Mental illness is irrelevant in this case ?

Sure, why do you think it is relevant? What would you have done in light of the mental illness if you were been a cop in this situation?

The 16 year old's mental illness is irrelevant when he is shooting a gun at the police and others. Besides, I would think anyone who does that is nuts to begin with.

I had to read that a couple of times to make sure I heard what you said. Mental illness is irrelevant in this case ?

Sure, why do you think it is relevant? What would you have done in light of the mental illness if you were been a cop in this situation?

I think it's relevent because a person with a mental illness is a prime example of someone who will pay no attention to any new laws.He/She is a pefect example of the futility of attempting to stop mass murder by passing a law.

"He was bipolar, depressed,"

see we need compreheensive medical care for all huh?

Did you read the other part about him taking meds? How'd that work out?

See, this story will remain local becaucse liberals know they can't do anything with it.

First, it's a black kid. Second, the gun was illegal. Third, he was getting psychiatric care.

Let's see, it were a crime to sell a gun without a background check -- meaning the seller in Indiana or Missouri goes to jail when the fail to do a background check -- then this kid might not have had a gun.

Don't be so dense, there's lots we can do about it.

"He was bipolar, depressed,"

see we need compreheensive medical care for all huh?

Did you read the other part about him taking meds? How'd that work out?

See, this story will remain local becaucse liberals know they can't do anything with it.

First, it's a black kid. Second, the gun was illegal. Third, he was getting psychiatric care.

Let's see, it were a crime to sell a gun without a background check -- meaning the seller in Indiana or Missouri goes to jail when the fail to do a background check -- then this kid might not have had a gun.

Don't be so dense, there's lots we can do about it.

It is a crime dumb ass. Federal law requires all FFL sellers to run background checks on ALL sales. He did not get his gun from a legal source. Further it is illegal to purchase a Firearm out of your home State. The only legal way to do it is to have an FFL seller ship it to another FFL seller who will do the background check and sell you the firearm.

If you are going to complain about the law at least know it.

The Republicans can't admit that they may as well have put the gun in the boys hands themselves.

That is a foolish statement, isn't it, Noomi? Wry Catcher has a good question. How did a 16 year old with mental illness acquire a gun? That deserves an answer.

I agree he has a good question, which I answered - conservatives think it okay for someone with a mental illness to buy a gun (they don't support background checks, remember) so they practically handed the gun to this lad.

You would think the libs would be happy about this.
An actual gun nut taken off the streets and nobody died......except for the gun nut of course.

So, you believe that all gun nuts are mentally ill?

Why do you believe he was a gun nut?

My impression is just that he had some mental health issues.

Well he was a nut,and he had a gun and he was shooting at people. I would think that would be a pretty good description of a gun nut.

Blaming republicans for that boy having a gun is like blaming homophobia for gay men not using condoms

Let's be clear... Once he picked up a gun and began shooting it he no longer was a 16 year old boy, he was a 16 year old street thug.

As for Bipolar it is not a proscribed illness to own a gun. The ONLY way mental health enters the equation is when a person is confined by order of a Court and or ruled BY A JUDGE to be mentally unfit.

He is correct about that, TM.

Forum List

Back