1937 Colt Officer's Model .38 Heavy Barrel

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I finally worked a deal on a '37 Colt Officer's Model .38.....Only four months in the making. ;)

It's around 90%.... .38 Special.

c 004 (2).JPG

It's not quite as nice as my 1930 Colt Officer's Model .22 Target but they look good together. ;)

c 003 (2).JPG

FIL has a similar looking,very old revolver like that in .45cal. Not sure of the make.
If in .45acp it could be either a S&W or Colt M1917, if in .45 Colt then it would likely be a Colt DA .45 or a S&W DA .45 (hand ejector). Both were also made in .455 Eley for the Brits.

The M1917s will be marked on the heel of the revolver as such along with a US property mark and "stacked" serial number. They will also have a lanyard ring or just a hole for one if the lanyard ring is missing.

I finally worked a deal on a '37 Colt Officer's Model .38.....Only four months in the making. ;)

It's around 90%.... .38 Special.

View attachment 620186

It's not quite as nice as my 1930 Colt Officer's Model .22 Target but they look good together. ;)

View attachment 620187

I have a .38 Colt that is very similar, but the rear sight is fixed. Those look adjustable.

I have a .38 Colt that is very similar, but the rear sight is fixed. Those look adjustable.
Yep, they made a Colt Official Police heavy barrel too.....I carried one when I use to run convict gun gangs. It was a very accurate revolver.

R.5109d881b81ce76516a330c9d555ba7a

The main differences are in the adjustable front and rear sights, flat top, and milled checkering on the back strap an trigger.

That is a very nice pair of colts.

I see very little holster wear and only the faintest line around the cylinder on the .38. They both look to have very low rounds. 👍

That is a very nice pair of colts.

I see very little holster wear and only the faintest line around the cylinder on the .38. They both look to have very low rounds. 👍
The worst "wart" on the .38 is the finish loss on the edge of the top edge of the frame above the grips. I suspect that wear came from being carried in a holster and the edge of the frame rubbing-up against the wearers belt or something as that particular holster rides close to the body.

Yep, I had the same model I got in a multi-gun trade some years ago and they guy I did the trade with asked if he could have it back about a year later and traded me a nice National Postal Meter M1 Carbine for it.

You know I've never seen a 4" heavy barrel but 400 of them were made for the US Border Patrol in 1954....It was designed by Border Patrolmen Bill Jordan and Harlan Carter.....Sorta Fugly IMHO.
950235748f238f0752bc9591c57e7e2c.jpg

Colt Us Border Patrol E Frame - Colt Fever.

Forum List

Back