1st Amendment on religion

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
If I were to start a church that allowed its male members to marry 8 year old girls, would that be covered by the 1st?

If my religion dictated that all non believers be killed, is that covered by the 1st?

How about if my religion dictated that I organize and violently overthrow any Government that was not run by my religion? Is that Covered?

How about if my religion forbade females from owning property and treated them like possessions of the Husband or father? Is that covered by the 1st?

You can believe any of those things and the government can't do anything about your preaching or belief. Putting any of those things in practice is the problem because it conflicts with laws concerning child sex, murder, insurrection, and property ownership.

It's no different than polygamy-based faiths being shut down or Rastafarianism not being allowed pot or pagans not being allowed to build a pyre for their dead.

You can believe any of those things and the government can't do anything about your preaching or belief. Putting any of those things in practice is the problem because it conflicts with laws concerning child sex, murder, insurrection, and property ownership.

It's no different than polygamy-based faiths being shut down or Rastafarianism not being allowed pot or pagans not being allowed to build a pyre for their dead.

Actually if you are advising your members to carry out any illegal activity you can be arrested and charged. The point is when these illegal activities are a core element of your "religion" your religion can be denied protection by the Constitution.

The Constitution is not a death pact.

If I were to start a church that allowed its male members to marry 8 year old girls, would that be covered by the 1st?

If my religion dictated that all non believers be killed, is that covered by the 1st?

How about if my religion dictated that I organize and violently overthrow any Government that was not run by my religion? Is that Covered?

How about if my religion forbade females from owning property and treated them like possessions of the Husband or father? Is that covered by the 1st?

They had the Judeo-Christian religion in mind for this country.

Amendment [I.]

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

How's that Chuck - in fact they did all they could to keep religion out of gov't, this country as best they could at that time throughout the liberal document both the Constitution and Bill of Rights, the actual authors that (scribed) it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

How's that Chuck - in fact they did all they could to keep religion out of gov't, this country as best they could at that time throughout the liberal document both the Constitution and Bill of Rights, the actual authors that (scribed) it.

.[/QUOTE]

Government has no business in what I believe because Christianity is an inalienable right. My right is given by God and not the government.

What other people falsely choose may not be an inalienable right if it is not given by God.

Last edited:

The answer to all of the above is ‘yes.’

Provided…

No member of the church actually carried out the tenets of the religion, such as killing non-believers.

Our rights are inalienable but not absolute, government can place reasonable restrictions on our rights provided those restriction are rationally based, have a legitimate legislative end, and are supported by facts and evidence – such as prohibiting members of a religion from actually marrying 8 year olds.

Actually if you are advising your members to carry out any illegal activity you can be arrested and charged. The point is when these illegal activities are a core element of your "religion" your religion can be denied protection by the Constitution.

The Constitution is not a death pact.

That would depend on whether the potentially illegal acts are imminent.

One may preach in his church that all blacks should be killed.

If one preaches in his church for the congregation to meet at the hardware store in 30 minutes to kill the black storeowner, that’s not protected by the First Amendment.

That has been tried with Ganja as a sacred weed of a religion

Didn't get very far in the courts

This is why most past governments of this world steer their people into one religion. The Roman government was successful in organizing religious people into one rule under the Vatican and made them all Roman Catholic Christians. This is why Rome maintained it's wealth and grew even wealthier.

The United States government would love to conform all it's citizens into one religion so they can control us much easier.

What other people falsely choose may not be an inalienable right if it is not given by God.

Thanks for clarifying that any religion other than your brand is not covered by the First Amendment. Good luck with trying to practice that interpretation. Pray I'm not on the jury when that is your affirmative defense.

Having just watched a biography of Thomas Jefferson, I was again reminded that the First Amendment only prohibited the establishment of a national religion. Individual States were free to support religions as they saw fit. Although Virginia passed his Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786, the SCOTUS did not apply the Establishment Clause to the States until 1947.

Forum List

Back