2020 Garden Thread

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Planted some peas and some green onions this week. Turned under my little gardento start prepping that one for early planting. Will wait and do the big garden in a few weeks. Also created a new hopefully permanent onion patch i filled with the walking onions I had started in pots last summer.

Anybody else farming/gardening in 2020? Whatcha up to with that....

Just put my lettuce in my planter boxes and radishes in large planter pots...I have a small garden on my deck...gonna try a bell pepper...

I thought about trying hydroponics. I'm no farmer, and I would probably kill a cactus, but setting up all the sensors to control nutrients, light, humidity, temperature, Co2 and such sounds like a fun project. I'll probably start with tomatoes, and if I can figure out how to make it all work, I might try some weed.

I thought about trying hydroponics. I'm no farmer, and I would probably kill a cactus, but setting up all the sensors to control nutrients, light, humidity, temperature, Co2 and such sounds like a fun project. I'll probably start with tomatoes, and if I can figure out how to make it all work, I might try some weed.

That will be one expensive tomato

That will be one expensive tomato

It's not about the price of tomatoes any more than the still I built was about the price of rum, or the CNC mill I built was about the cost of carving little wooden figures and plaques. I can already buy all that stuff pretty cheap at the store.

Planted some peas and some green onions this week. Turned under my little gardento start prepping that one for early planting. Will wait and do the big garden in a few weeks. Also created a new hopefully permanent onion patch i filled with the walking onions I had started in pots last summer.

My land is a flood plain. Every late spring, when it dries out, it's already 100 degree weather. :(
Glad you got some stuff growing. I planted bluebonnets out in the field a few weeks back, but the grass was already green, and the squish squishing watery surface was 2 inches, which got into my socks. I wound up scattering 800 of the 1000 seeds, and it took an hour to plant the first 200 in freezing air. :(

Too early here but yeah I will have 3 gardens and most likely a new greenhouse. Kinda like this one, small but cool.

plans-greenhouse-free-diy-3.jpg

DIY Greenhouse | Ana White

Egyptian walking onion? Used to find an onion here they called "winter onion" Awesome, like a shallot or something. Darn chipmunk/groundsquirels won't let me have any onions anymore.

I have 13 acres to do whatever and a 47hp Kubota and many attachments, 6 foot tiller one of them. I'll probably do more birdhouse gourds, melons, okra and corn in the bigger gardens. One is 45x50 in the back yard where oft used veggies grow.

GRHb0ru.jpg

Egyptian walking onion?

Yet they have lots of names, originate in Canada I think. They are top setting onions that you can leave in the ground and the bulbs will multiply underneath and then the tops produce bublets that will grow as well.

Do you have much luck with that tiller. Used to work somewhere that ran one off the back of a kubota but it really wouldn't get down very deep.

My land is a flood plain. Every late spring, when it dries out, it's already 100 degree weather. :(
Glad you got some stuff growing. I planted bluebonnets out in the field a few weeks back, but the grass was already green, and the squish squishing watery surface was 2 inches, which got into my socks. I wound up scattering 800 of the 1000 seeds, and it took an hour to plant the first 200 in freezing air. :(

Could you drain it by digging trenches converging on a pond maybe? I did that in my teens when we were renting this house that was bowl shaped land and that bottom was a swamp with a wet weather spring. Just took a mattox and scored little trenches in ground all running to same area and it worked wonders.

Egyptian walking onion?

Yet they have lots of names, originate in Canada I think. They are top setting onions that you can leave in the ground and the bulbs will multiply underneath and then the tops produce bublets that will grow as well.

Do you have much luck with that tiller. Used to work somewhere that ran one off the back of a kubota but it really wouldn't get down very deep.

I haven't tried the walking type yet. Damn critters here love onions. Kinda gave up. Was good growing till they showed up and discovered them.

Yes the tiller does an excellent job, even in our shale infested ground. In one pass looks plantable, 2 passes I got fluff. It is a 47 hp and can get down. Tines are longer but I would say I get 7-8 honest inches. Guess it depends on where one lives. In west WA bet I could get the full tine depth. Never had soil as good as I had in WA but composted the heck out of it too and yes now is chinese pea time for sure there.

WAAAAAYYYYYY to cold for me to even be thinking about the garden just yet.

Where the hell are you that you are planting already and where is that spare tire I need to throw on the fire?

Oh yeah, and cushaw squash. Thems awesome.

Deer ravage okra, tomatoes and squash plants near me. If you fence them off, the bugs usually still get the squash. Zucchini is about the only thing similar that can weather both.

Where the hell are you that you are planting already and where is that spare tire I need to throw on the fire?

The southernest p[art of virginia that would land you in NC if you tripped. We are in the upper end if Zone 7B. Trees starting to bud out though it will be in the upper 20's next couple nights. Onions can take some light frost.

Egyptian walking onion?

I haven't tried the walking type yet. Damn critters here love onions. Kinda gave up. Was good growing till they showed up and discovered them.

Yes the tiller does an excellent job, even in our shale infested ground. In one pass looks plantable, 2 passes I got fluff. It is a 47 hp and can get down. Tines are longer but I would say I get 7-8 honest inches. Guess it depends on where one lives. In west WA bet I could get the full tine depth. Never had soil as good as I had in WA but composted the heck out of it too and yes now is chinese pea time for sure there.

We were lucky if we could get three inches on a bounce out of the one we had. Would usually have to come behind with a walk-behind tiller if we needed to get deeper.

Oh yeah, and cushaw squash. Thems awesome.

Deer ravage okra, tomatoes and squash plants near me. If you fence them off, the bugs usually still get the squash. Zucchini is about the only thing similar that can weather both.

I gave up on fences. Cept a mild electric 3 strands around corn to keep coons out. My answer, plant extra. Critters gonna eat some. Sux when they eat all though. Like box turtles will eat every single cantelope. Ground squirrel/ chipmunks every single onion.

Oh them darn squash bugs SUK! I still get plenty though. Tried Cushaw? More resilent, grow big, very big. Awesome eating, awesome pies.

The southernest p[art of virginia that would land you in NC if you tripped. We are in the upper end if Zone 7B. Trees starting to bud out though it will be in the upper 20's next couple nights. Onions can take some light frost.
Nice. How good is the beekeeping there, or you're not into it?

We were lucky if we could get three inches on a bounce out of the one we had. Would usually have to come behind with a walk-behind tiller if we needed to get deeper.

Much better than that. Had a Bolens Husky with a 30" shaft drive did pretty good and 2 each Troy built biggest. Funny the 8hp Kohler couldn't get the depth my 1950 model 6 hp Tec can. The newer Troy would bounce everywhere, kill you if you let it. The old 6hp weighed more, you could even let go and let it run itself. The Kubota though? Very good tilling machine, go slow let it eat dirt.

Forum List

Back