2020 Garden Thread

image_dcd88d0e-4776-48f4-96db-c0b1d8337ef1_1024x1024@2x.jpg
11769_grande.jpg
So, you get My burden.

I almost sobbed. *LOL*

Best squash ever. Cut the necks in 1/2 inch slices. Butter, brown sugar and bake till done. Gotta lay down to eat them. But the pies? Awesome. I get close to 15-20# cushaws, not as big as the girl holding. And way too many to eat. I process and freeze much as I can give away the other 80%

Oh yeah, and cushaw squash. Thems awesome.

Deer ravage okra, tomatoes and squash plants near me. If you fence them off, the bugs usually still get the squash. Zucchini is about the only thing similar that can weather both.

I gave up on fences. Cept a mild electric 3 strands around corn to keep coons out. My answer, plant extra. Critters gonna eat some. Sux when they eat all though. Like box turtles will eat every single cantelope. Ground squirrel/ chipmunks every single onion.

Oh them darn squash bugs SUK! I still get plenty though. Tried Cushaw? More resilent, grow big, very big. Awesome eating, awesome pies.

Nope never tried them.

Planted some peas and some green onions this week. Turned under my little gardento start prepping that one for early planting. Will wait and do the big garden in a few weeks. Also created a new hopefully permanent onion patch i filled with the walking onions I had started in pots last summer.

Anybody else farming/gardening in 2020? Whatcha up to with that....
WAAAAAYYYYYY to cold for me to even be thinking about the garden just yet.

Where the hell are you that you are planting already and where is that spare tire I need to throw on the fire?

The southernest p[art of virginia that would land you in NC if you tripped. We are in the upper end if Zone 7B. Trees starting to bud out though it will be in the upper 20's next couple nights. Onions can take some light frost.
Nice. How good is the beekeeping there, or you're not into it?

I am personally not into it but there is quite a bit of local clover honey being sold around here so I guess it is fine. I keep a couple spots planted in wildflowers and they are usually covered in bees during the warm months. The bumbles population got knocked back pretty hard a couple years ago by a very wet year with two good hurricane remnant drenchings but the honeybees seem to have fair well. I see them fairly often, especially if I let this one area with about half an acre of clover grow longer between mowings. I usually only mow half at a time so there is always something for them to feed on.

Talking bees. I'm very allergic, not all bees, Wasps don't seem to affect me the same as say a yellow jacket. Yup got epi.

But honey? LOVE IT. When I was in western WA lots fireweed so lots fireweed honey. I made 5 gallon batches of mead quite often.

Talking bees. I'm very allergic, not all bees, Wasps don't seem to affect me the same as say a yellow jacket. Yup got epi.

But honey? LOVE IT. When I was in western WA lots fireweed so lots fireweed honey. I made 5 gallon batches of mead quite often.

One of my brothers is like with yellow jackets that but it is a more erratic reaction. Sometimes he doesn't have one and sometimes he ends up in the ER in shock. There is no rhyme or reason to it, not even how many times he gets stung seems to be a factor.

One of my brothers is like with yellow jackets that but it is a more erratic reaction. Sometimes he doesn't have one and sometimes he ends up in the ER in shock. There is no rhyme or reason to it, not even how many times he gets stung seems to be a factor.

Yes no rhyme or reason, don't get it. But the wrong bee I'm fuked and in hosp. Been a while. Got a new neighbor, no one can stand. Lies bad, not just constant but can't remember what he lied about 5 min before. Knows I am alergic so got a hive put it next to my driveway. What a fuktard. Honest the whole town can't stand him.

Just have never seen them grown locally so they are an unknown variety to me

Grow the heck out of them here in KY but I never had seen them Maine, WA or anywhere else I lived. Darn good eating. Grow easy, grow big.

I'm in VA. I looked at Lowes didn't see any seeds. Striped zucchini was as close as they had.

Just built garden boxes out of siding pallets. Grow a small veggie garden. Now gotta order about 6 or 7 yards of dirt.
So far.
20200502_154558.jpg20200502_154607.jpg
They are solid as a rock as I braced the crap out of them. Just a little more work. Wife has seed already going inside. About 36 tall. 12 × 4 and 2ft deep.

Small green tomatoes on the vine. A few peppers popping out. radishes are about to bolt. Green onions starting to flower. Topset onions about to start moving around if I don't pickle the tops soon. Garden off and running.

My land is a flood plain. Every late spring, when it dries out, it's already 100 degree weather. :(
Glad you got some stuff growing. I planted bluebonnets out in the field a few weeks back, but the grass was already green, and the squish squishing watery surface was 2 inches, which got into my socks. I wound up scattering 800 of the 1000 seeds, and it took an hour to plant the first 200 in freezing air. :(

I always liked bluebonnets.

Planted some peas and some green onions this week. Turned under my little gardento start prepping that one for early planting. Will wait and do the big garden in a few weeks. Also created a new hopefully permanent onion patch i filled with the walking onions I had started in pots last summer.

I've started landscaping and without enough experience :(

I've started landscaping and without enough experience :(

You don't get experience until you have started :yes_text12:

Just look around at the things you like and try to match up the things you like in conditions similar to yours with your conditions. It is all trial and error in the end. When people tell me I have a green thumb, I tell them that is because they don't see the compost pile full of plants I have murdered :cool:

Forum List

Back