22-month-old Pennsylvania boy revived after 101 minutes of CPR...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Pennsylvania boy revived after nearly 2 hours without pulse - UPI.com

MIFFLINBURG, Pa., March 21 (UPI) -- Doctors consider Gardell Martin a medical miracle.

When the Pennsylvania 22-month-old was found in an icy stream, he had no pulse and wasn't breathing. There for at least 30 minutes, the prognosis was grim.

For nearly two hours after the boy was scooped from the water, emergency workers performed CPR. During the ambulance ride to the nearest hospital, the 15-mile helicopter ride to a children's hospital and the emergency procedures at Geisinger's Janet Weiss Children's Hospital near Danville, Pa.

After one hour and 41 minutes of continuous CPR, Gardell is making a continual recovery that some thought could never happen. He doesn't appear to have neurological damage and is acting like his old self, his parents said.

I'm glad this story had a happy ending. I feel for the paramedics and doctors that have to deal with those situations. They deserve all the praise they can get. :)

Wrong. God deserves all the praise. He is the one who deserves the glory for this miracle. The child has no neurological damage and according to his own parents he is acting "normal". It's called a miracle and it is alright to call it one. To God be the glory for saving this child.

You can be sure these parents were praying fervently. God is good!

I just heard about this on the news this morning. What an amazing story. I am glad to hear the baby is doing well. These medical professionals deserve every accolade they can get.

MIFFLINBURG, Pa., March 21 (UPI) -- Doctors consider Gardell Martin a medical miracle.

When the Pennsylvania 22-month-old was found in an icy stream, he had no pulse and wasn't breathing. There for at least 30 minutes, the prognosis was grim.

For nearly two hours after the boy was scooped from the water, emergency workers performed CPR. During the ambulance ride to the nearest hospital, the 15-mile helicopter ride to a children's hospital and the emergency procedures at Geisinger's Janet Weiss Children's Hospital near Danville, Pa.

After one hour and 41 minutes of continuous CPR, Gardell is making a continual recovery that some thought could never happen. He doesn't appear to have neurological damage and is acting like his old self, his parents said.

I'm glad this story had a happy ending. I feel for the paramedics and doctors that have to deal with those situations. They deserve all the praise they can get. :)
Wow! A rare win for the paramedics and doctors when they encounter such a dire situation! Good for them!

Wow! A rare win for the paramedics and doctors when they encounter such a dire situation! Good for them!

I couldn't imagine being the paramedics or doctors who had to deal with that situation. Given how dire it was that boy shouldn't have made it. You know that thought was lingering in their minds as they were trying to revive him. :(

How did that kid end up in the water in the first place?

God bless him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Praise the Lord!!!
Because his parents weren't watching him. As usual the events over shadow the narrative. As usual the slack Millennial parents won't be charged.

Mammalian diving reflex and cold water are the keys here.

God bless him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Praise the Lord!!!
Because his parents weren't watching him. As usual the events over shadow the narrative. As usual the slack Millennial parents won't be charged.

He was on the family's property playing with two of his brothers outside. Depending on the age of his brothers, you could argue there was some neglect involved. I think it's unfair to go after the parents in such a situation though. The fact is that being a parent of a young child you are always one innocent mistake away from tragedy. Most times a parent's mistake will lead to their child having a harmless bump on the head, but sometimes worse things happen.

^^^ Sad but true, which is all the more reason why people should be more careful with who they trust to be in charge of their children when they themselves can't be. I wonder what it was that made them people decide to keep working on him, what would they themselves have to say about it. Would they admit to feeling the presences of the Lord?

God bless you and them and the boy always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

God bless him always!!!

Holly

P.S. Praise the Lord!!!

He was on the family's property playing with two of his brothers outside. Depending on the age of his brothers, you could argue there was some neglect involved. I think it's unfair to go after the parents in such a situation though. The fact is that being a parent of a young child you are always one innocent mistake away from tragedy. Most times a parent's mistake will lead to their child having a harmless bump on the head, but sometimes worse things happen.
He was with his brothers? No 11/2 year old toddler should be playing near a creek without adult supervision.

I read in another article that they had five nurses lined up, giving him CPR in shifts so that none of them got too tired to continue. :)

So the length of the hospital trip played a part....I don't think the avg person can expect 2 hrs of attention in similar circumstances.

So the length of the hospital trip played a part....I don't think the avg person can expect 2 hrs of attention in similar circumstances.

From what I understand he was given CPR by the paramedics, the hospital, paramedics on the helicopter to another hospital, and doctors at that hospital, for almost 2 hours. A lot of people were involved in saving that child. :)

What I was wondering if the hospital was right down the street would they have spent that much time on him.......not saying they shouldn't have .just seems out of norm

The travel by paramedic and helicopter probably did play a good part in his survival. They were giving him CPR during both trips.

And they wouldn't have spent as much time if it was a hospital down the street. They flew him to a pediatric intensive care hospital because they knew they weren't equipped to handle that emergency.

Learned this long ago - you never have a dead body until you have a warm dead body.

Learned this long ago - you never have a dead body until you have a warm dead body.

Oddly enough the cold is one of the things doctors credited with saving him. His body temperature had dropped to 70 degrees. I can't remember the details, but they said that helps a person survive longer without a pulse. As they were giving him CPR they slowly warmed his body temperature.

I read in another article that they had five nurses lined up, giving him CPR in shifts so that none of them got too tired to continue. :)
Welll in their defense Millennials get tired very easily.

What I was wondering if the hospital was right down the street would they have spent that much time on him.......not saying they shouldn't have .just seems out of norm
Because his parents had money and good insurance. If it had been you or I we would have been called at the creek bank.

Forum List

Back