24 Things Wrong With Electric Vehicles That They Don't Tell You

Gasoline will become even more expensive as the populace switches to L-I technology. Right now, I live in the best of both worlds as I drive around the city free and still can get gas for long distance trips requiring about 270 miles.
My son lives in Atlanta and has a daily commute to work.

The idiot bought a $60+K Tesla because it was the Yuppie thing to do in his upscale North Atlanta neighborhood. A 2021 model.

Their second vehicle is an ICE SUV.

It woks fine for his daily commute. He had to put in a $1500 charging outlet in his garage and charges it at night with reduced electrical rates.

He has taken it on longer trips like to South Carolina and down here to Central Florida to visit us. He says it sucks for long trips. It also takes just about the same amount of money to charge them at the stations as if he was buying gas.

Then he had the time in afternoon rush hour traffic where the vehicle simply went dead on him on one of the busiest commuter roads in the Atlanta metroplex. Traffic was tied up for almost two hours getting a toe truck through the stalled traffic. The police were pissed.

It took almost a month to get it fixed because the defected parts were hard to get. Evidentially these EV vehicles have significant quality problems. He didn't know it when he got the vehicle.

The basic problems with these L-I vehicles is that they are expensive, have limited range, expensive to charge on the road, electronically too complex, a fire danger and an ecological disaster to produce and dispose of. Of course at the end of the day it really doesn't save the planet because of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

There may be a time when EVs are OK but it ain't now with L-I technology.

My son lives in Atlanta and has a daily commute to work.

The idiot bought a $60+K Tesla because it was the Yuppie thing to do in his upscale North Atlanta neighborhood. A 2021 model.

Their second vehicle is an ICE SUV.

It woks fine for his daily commute. He had to put in a $1500 charging outlet in his garage and charges it at night with reduced electrical rates.

He has taken it on longer trips like to South Carolina and down here to Central Florida to visit us. He says it sucks for long trips. It also takes just about the same amount of money to charge them at the stations as if he was buying gas.

Then he had the time in afternoon rush hour traffic where the vehicle simply went dead on him on one of the busiest commuter roads in the Atlanta metroplex. Traffic was tied up for almost two hours getting a toe truck through the stalled traffic. The police were pissed.

It took almost a month to get it fixed because the defected parts were hard to get. Evidentially these EV vehicles have significant quality problems. He didn't know it when he got the vehicle.

The basic problems with these L-I vehicles is that they are expensive, have limited range, expensive to charge on the road, electronically too complex, a fire danger and an ecological disaster to produce and dispose of. Of course at the end of the day it really doesn't save the planet because of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

There may be a time when EVs are OK but it ain't now with L-I technology.

A trip from SC to Atlanta is 200 miles. Any Tesla car will do that trip on one full charge without stopping one time if need be. The shortest route to central florida from atlanta is 450 miles and will take about 7+ hours. You will need to stop at least once if you're driving an ice car doing that distance. For a tesla with the standard range package you're going to stop 3 times just to top off a bit and go. So we are talking about 2 extra stops along the way. Of course, all this is assuming you wouldn't make 2 extra stops at all while driving your ice car for food, rest room or whatever. If you're not stopping at all and need to get to your destination as quickly as humanly possible on a trip like that, then I imagine those 15-20 extra minutes or even 30 minute delay would suck. Outside of that how many ppl need to get somewhere that badly at that precise a timeframe, on longer road trips? Ev's are not good for long drives, but let's not overblow the situation because of 1-2 extra stops. :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe he should have charged up his car. Tesla does have quality issues, but this is why they give you an 8 year warranty. Tesla is planning to put out a 25k Model 2 in 3 years.

What's a bigger ecological disaster, powering the extraction, refining and transporting of crude oil around the world or plugging your car into an outlet? hmmm. Mining lithium isn't even on the map compared to all that, not even close.

A trip from SC to Atlanta is 200 miles. Any Tesla car will do that trip on one full charge without stopping one time if need be. The shortest route to central florida from atlanta is 450 miles and will take about 7+ hours. You will need to stop at least once if you're driving an ice car doing that distance. For a tesla with the standard range package you're going to stop 3 times just to top off a bit and go. So we are talking about 2 extra stops along the way. Of course, all this is assuming you wouldn't make 2 extra stops at all while driving your ice car for food, rest room or whatever. If you're not stopping at all and need to get to your destination as quickly as humanly possible on a trip like that, then I imagine those 15-20 extra minutes or even 30 minute delay would suck. Outside of that how many ppl need to get somewhere that badly at that precise a timeframe, on longer road trips? Ev's are not good for long drives, but let's not overblow the situation because of 1-2 extra stops. :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe he should have charged up his car. Tesla does have quality issues, but this is why they give you an 8 year warranty. Tesla is planning to put out a 25k Model 2 in 3 years.

What's a bigger ecological disaster, powering the extraction, refining and transporting of crude oil around the world or plugging your car into an outlet? hmmm. Mining lithium isn't even on the map compared to all that, not even close.

I am telling you what my son told me. The trip to a football game in SC took a few charging as did the trip to Central Florida. He spent two hours charging each way on his trip to Florida. He said he won't use the Tesla on any long trip any more. Too inconvenient. OK for a daily commute to work and back but that is about it.

Yes his Tesla died on him in rush hour Atlanta traffic. It took over three weeks to get it fixed. Actually they aren't all that reliable. Look at the quality reports on them.

For the money he spent on that stupid thing he could have bought two Honda CRVs. Or a Pilot and enought money left over for gas for about ten years, even with President Potatohead's inflation. The CRV gets about 30 MPG with normal driving and close to 40 with sensible highway driving. With proper maintenance good for well over 200K miles.

The mining of the rare earths is a tremendous ecological disaster. I'll show you the pictures if you are confused.

The vehicles have to be charged and most electricity in this country is generated with fossil fuels. All you are doing is changing the location of where the fuel is burned.

I have no problem with EV as a technological improvement but L-I technology sucks.

I am telling you what my son told me. The trip to a football game in SC took a few charging as did the trip to Central Florida. He spent two hours charging each way on his trip to Florida. He said he won't use the Tesla on any long trip any more. Too inconvenient. OK for a daily commute to work and back but that is about it.

Yes his Tesla died on him in rush hour Atlanta traffic. It took over three weeks to get it fixed. Actually they aren't all that reliable. Look at the quality reports on them.

For the money he spent on that stupid thing he could have bought two Honda CRVs. Or a Pilot and enought money left over for gas for about ten years, even with President Potatohead's inflation. The CRV gets about 30 MPG with normal driving and close to 40 with sensible highway driving. With proper maintenance good for well over 200K miles.

The mining of the rare earths is a tremendous ecological disaster. I'll show you the pictures if you are confused.

The vehicles have to be charged and most electricity in this country is generated with fossil fuels. All you are doing is changing the location of where the fuel is burned.

I have no problem with EV as a technological improvement but L-I technology sucks.

You can choose to top off your tesla one time from atl to sc if you want. It would make sense, but it's not an absolute need. There's no reason to charge a "few times" during a 200 mile trip when your car has a 240 mile capacity. If he wanted to he can use a super charger for 5 min and that will give him 75 miles of range. That's just simple math. This story doesn't make sense. Same with traveling to central florida from atl. That's 450 miles give or take. The only way for him to spend 2 hours charging on a 450 mile trip is if he uses a slower charger every time and bypasses the super chargers, which give you 200 miles in 15 minutes. If he were to start his trip off with a full battery (240 miles standard range) or (350 miles long range) he would just need to stop twice, for maybe 5-10 minutes each time on the standard range battery and just once for the long range and top off for 75-120 miles or whatever. There is absolutely no way he's charging for 2 hours each way unless he's choosing to use a slow charger. That's on him, not the car.

No, nowhere is it written that lithium mining is a "tremendous ecological disaster." This is propaganda. Lithium mining isn't even remotely on the same scale and scope as fracking and oil drilling. What is a "tremendous ecological disaster" is the routine and huge oil leaks we continuously see in our oceans from broken pipelines and ships that carry oil around the globe. This destroys sealife and poisons the water, and none of that even includes the enormous amounts of carbon that gets thrown into our atmosphere from refining the stuff or when it comes out of our tail pipes. Lithium mining isn't threatening to destroy our climate.

You can choose to top off your tesla one time from atl to sc if you want. It would make sense, but it's not an absolute need. There's no reason to charge a "few times" during a 200 mile trip when your car has a 240 mile capacity. If he wanted to he can use a super charger for 5 min and that will give him 75 miles of range. That's just simple math. This story doesn't make sense. Same with traveling to central florida from atl. That's 450 miles give or take. The only way for him to spend 2 hours charging on a 450 mile trip is if he uses a slower charger every time and bypasses the super chargers, which give you 200 miles in 15 minutes. If he were to start his trip off with a full battery (240 miles standard range) or (350 miles long range) he would just need to stop twice, for maybe 5-10 minutes each time on the standard range battery and just once for the long range and top off for 75-120 miles or whatever. There is absolutely no way he's charging for 2 hours each way unless he's choosing to use a slow charger. That's on him, not the car.

No, nowhere is it written that lithium mining is a "tremendous ecological disaster." This is propaganda. Lithium mining isn't even remotely on the same scale and scope as fracking and oil drilling. What is a "tremendous ecological disaster" is the routine and huge oil leaks we continuously see in our oceans from broken pipelines and ships that carry oil around the globe. This destroys sealife and poisons the water, and none of that even includes the enormous amounts of carbon that gets thrown into our atmosphere from refining the stuff or when it comes out of our tail pipes. Lithium mining isn't threatening to destroy our climate.
From what my son tells me about real world driving in his Tesla he doesn't go from a full charge to zero and then recharge again. So therefore that 240 mile distance beteen charges is not real. He keeps it charged in the 40%-80% range. Never does he let it get below 30%. the factory recommends not to let the battery to get low.

Then you have the fact that L-I deteriorate over time. Tesla have the best batteries now but they are costly. Other companies put out cheaper batteries that deteriorate quicker.

He also said several of the charging stations that he went to on a long trip was not working properly. Just a pain in the ass on the road and that is why he will not use Tesla for long trips any more.

As far as L mining

1649161351779.png

1649161394146.png

Tesla's Supercharger network, designed specifically for Tesla vehicles, is marketed as the standard to which all other EV infrastructure should aspire. It operates at 150 kW, which is enough to charge some cars in as little as an hour. The Supercharger, which operates up to 120 kW, can charge a Tesla about 80 percent in about 30 minutes.

Electric Car Charging Goes Super Fast - HowStuffWorks

auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/vehicles/electric-car-charging-goes-sup…

So if you are on a trip across country and you run out of electric fuel, you have to stay put for 30 minutes if you are lucky to find a supercharging station. If not you have to stay put for up to two days on regular house charging.

Most drivers will need about a couple of days (roughly 40 hours) to charge a fully depleted electric car battery if they use the standard three-prong plugs found in mobile devices, laptops, and the walls of most homes.

How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car - Kelley ...

www.kbb.com/car-advice/how-long-does-take-charge-electric-car/

There's a physics problem that you cannot easily overcome related to ultra fast charging ANY battery.
Trading one problem for another (potentially more costly) is not usually a winning strategy.

These EV people are going to learn that lesson the hard way. MUCH to the EV automakers delight.

Also, ICE vehicles have had a very long time to mature.....EVs are still basically in their testing / concept phase.
(I'm talking about as a push to totally replace ICE vehicles. I know they've been around a while)
If you think power outages are a problem now, wait until the grid demand triples or more to charge all those EVs. :spinner:
People are very short sighted.....and eternally gullible.

Oh...one other thing.....
EVs are inherently heavy.
What do you think is going to happen as EVs on the road increase and these super heavy vehicles have accidents and even head on collisions? RIP

Last edited:
From what my son tells me about real world driving in his Tesla he doesn't go from a full charge to zero and then recharge again. So therefore that 240 mile distance beteen charges is not real. He keeps it charged in the 40%-80% range. Never does he let it get below 30%. the factory recommends not to let the battery to get low.

Then you have the fact that L-I deteriorate over time. Tesla have the best batteries now but they are costly. Other companies put out cheaper batteries that deteriorate quicker.

He also said several of the charging stations that he went to on a long trip was not working properly. Just a pain in the ass on the road and that is why he will not use Tesla for long trips any more.

As far as L mining

If your son is neurotically charging his car as many times as he can to maintain that near full charge then that's the fault of the driver not the car. A brief 5 minute charge at a supercharger will give you 75 miles of range. Normally, 2 stops at a supercharger is all you would need to get to central florida from atl on a standard range tesla and we're talking maybe 20 minutes-30 minutes combined for those 2 stops. Two hours of charging is a myth, unless he's slow charging and stopping multiple times even when he has plenty of charge.

These pictures of lithium mining are both ugly and beautiful at the same time. I wonder if they simply leave these areas like this after they're done. Did you know that australia produces half the world's supply of lithium? Not many ppl actually know this. You would expect that Australia is a wasteland of lithium ecological devastation and pollution right? Except it's not. Their biggest issue is from fossil fuels and emissions from cars.

If your son is neurotically charging his car as many times as he can to maintain that near full charge then that's the fault of the driver not the car. A brief 5 minute charge at a supercharger will give you 75 miles of range. Normally, 2 stops at a supercharger is all you would need to get to central florida from atl on a standard range tesla and we're talking maybe 20 minutes-30 minutes combined for those 2 stops. Two hours of charging is a myth, unless he's slow charging and stopping multiple times even when he has plenty of charge.

These pictures of lithium mining are both ugly and beautiful at the same time. I wonder if they simply leave these areas like this after they're done. Did you know that australia produces half the world's supply of lithium? Not many ppl actually know this. You would expect that Australia is a wasteland of lithium ecological devastation and pollution right? Except it's not. Their biggest issue is from fossil fuels and emissions from cars.

When you are going on a 600 mile trip having to stop every 75 miles is a pain in the ass. Then when you stop you find you have to wait to use a charger or the charger isn't working and you have to go find another one.

My son was all for his EV until he found out what a pain in the ass it was for anything other than city commuting.

. Their biggest issue is from fossil fuels and emissions from cars.
This morning the weatherman had told us that the record temperature for this area was 90 degrees yet today's high is only 87 degrees. If the Earth is warming up year after year with all the CO2 coming from the blowhard progressives who run around in fear of a world of trees and grasses, wouldnt the record be beat year after year? Also the nighttime temp is going to be in the low 40s which is very close to the record low temps down here. How can that be?

This morning the weatherman had told us that the record temperature for this area was 90 degrees yet today's high is only 87 degrees. If the Earth is warming up year after year with all the CO2 coming from the blowhard progressives who run around in fear of a world of trees and grasses, wouldnt the record be beat year after year? Also the nighttime temp is going to be in the low 40s which is very close to the record low temps down here. How can that be?

So you missed your average high by 3 degrees. Meanwhile, we are missing ours the other way by over 10 degrees. You leave out the Global Average and only look at one spot for one day. Burned any good Science Books lately?

So you missed your average high by 3 degrees. Meanwhile, we are missing ours the other way by over 10 degrees. You leave out the Global Average and only look at one spot for one day. Burned any good Science Books lately?
But how can that be? If the total Earth is warming up year after year because of CO2, then all over the world it is supposed to be hotter, not just in select areas. My use of "logic" i know is strange to many progressives, who just listen to their progressive masters as gospel.

But how can that be? If the total Earth is warming up year after year because of CO2, then all over the world it is supposed to be hotter, not just in select areas. My use of "logic" i know is strange to many progressives, who just listen to their progressive masters as gospel.

You started off okay then you frittered off. Global warming isn't political. It just is. Along with it comes the melting of the ice caps, dying off of the rain forest, less snow melt, and from all that a lot of other things are happening. Those aren't' political, they are just reality. Eaten any good science books lately?

You started off okay then you frittered off. Global warming isn't political. It just is. Along with it comes the melting of the ice caps, dying off of the rain forest, less snow melt, and from all that a lot of other things are happening. Those aren't' political, they are just reality. Eaten any good science books lately?
It just is? wow, you really are a religious zealot when it comes to Global Warming. Lets try an anology? You know what analogy means, right?

So here is your house, it has a thermostat in it that you have set for 72 degrees. Now if you have a basement and 2nd floor, the 2nd floor would be about 2 degrees hotter while the basement is 2 degress cooler. So 2nd floor is 74 degrees, main floor 72 degrees and basement 70 degrees. Now for the kicker. If you set the thermostat to 74 degrees, the main floor gets 2 degrees hotter while the upper and basement also get 2 degrees hotter. Not less, but hotter. So on the Earth, with year after year of rising CO2 and you zealots saying the Earth is warming year after year, you cant have below record high temps and definately not near record cold...That is where you religion fails. Now open up some REAL science books from the 1970s and before, so you also can be educated, not indoctrinated....

It just is? wow, you really are a religious zealot when it comes to Global Warming. Lets try an anology? You know what analogy means, right?

So here is your house, it has a thermostat in it that you have set for 72 degrees. Now if you have a basement and 2nd floor, the 2nd floor would be about 2 degrees hotter while the basement is 2 degress cooler. So 2nd floor is 74 degrees, main floor 72 degrees and basement 70 degrees. Now for the kicker. If you set the thermostat to 74 degrees, the main floor gets 2 degrees hotter while the upper and basement also get 2 degrees hotter. Not less, but hotter. So on the Earth, with year after year of rising CO2 and you zealots saying the Earth is warming year after year, you cant have below record high temps and definately not near record cold...That is where you religion fails. Now open up some REAL science books from the 1970s and before, so you also can be educated, not indoctrinated....

I'm nor exactly a zealot. I grew up a high country Rancher. We didn't read about it, we lived it.

When you are going on a 600 mile trip having to stop every 75 miles is a pain in the ass. Then when you stop you find you have to wait to use a charger or the charger isn't working and you have to go find another one.

My son was all for his EV until he found out what a pain in the ass it was for anything other than city commuting.

I agree. Luckily i'm not aware of a modern ev where you would need to do that.

You can charge a tesla at any supercharging station, it doesn't even have to be a tesla one. With so many superchargers out there I don't foresee too many if any situations where you'd have to wait in a long que to use one, if for some reason they are all taken up. You can plot all your routes based on places where you can charge up. A tesla will even give you an estimate range till the next supercharger, how long it will take the charge at each one depending on far you need to drive, etc. or you can plot your own way use non tesla chargers. This is a non issue.

Your son is finding it a pain in the ass because he's constantly do 4 to 8 hour drives all the time. These on their own are enough to bitch and moan about regardless of what car you own.

Personally, I'd like to see a large infrastructure of Hydrogen Fuel stations and more Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars made here. Their emission, water.
Japan currently leads the nations with the number of Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles and stations.

Forum List

Back