3D printed 1911 .45 metal gun

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It won't be long before we can do this in our basement, and government will forever lose control over the people.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M]World's First 3D Printed Metal Gun - YouTube[/ame]

Doesn't mean it isn't dangerous for the owner. Might not stand the pressure very long and injure the owner or bystander.

A DMLS machine currently costs around a million dollars. We're still pretty far off from having them readily available in our basements.

A few years ago 3D printers were in that price range, now you can get one for $200. We are a lot closer than you think.

A DMLS machine currently costs around a million dollars. We're still pretty far off from having them readily available in our basements.

A few years ago 3D printers were in that price range, now you can get one for $200. We are a lot closer than you think.

I would suggest you check out Make or Adafruit. For 200 you get little. A microcontroller is going to cost you at least 50 and the software is not cheap. It isn't going to happen at that price.

You pretty much have to be an engineer to do this sort of thing. I spent two years reading about Microcontrollers and I have only made general electronics from kits because I'm busy. Even though there are tutorials for electronics, they don't teach you how to do stuff because there is a big and I mean big learning curve.

Basically you have to know electronics, you have to know programming, have to be able to draw and know something about manufacturing and interfacing a computer unless you are going to buy a 3D Printer and they are very expensive.

You have to have a little finesse and if you've ever studied Kickstarter projects, a percentage of people who do get far enough end up in failure.

It is expensive because you are buying parts without knowing what you need. Electronics takes a lot of time.

Ask yourself, "What don't I know and how do I get there?" That is the hobby of electronics.
Then you have to learn languages to program chips. How many people build their own computers on circuit boards today? Few. The people who know or remember just have show and tell projects because they aren't going to teach you.

I would suggest you check out Make or Adafruit. For 200 you get little. A microcontroller is going to cost you at least 50 and the software is not cheap. It isn't going to happen at that price.

Maker is the high end of the market. They were selling in the 6 figure range less than 5 years ago, now they are less than a good computer.

You pretty much have to be an engineer to do this sort of thing. I spent two years reading about Microcontrollers and I have only made general electronics from kits because I'm busy. Even though there are tutorials for electronics, they don't teach you how to do stuff because there is a big and I mean big learning curve.

Basically you have to know electronics, you have to know programming, have to be able to draw and know something about manufacturing and interfacing a computer unless you are going to buy a 3D Printer and they are very expensive.

You have to have a little finesse and if you've ever studied Kickstarter projects, a percentage of people who do get far enough end up in failure.

It is expensive because you are buying parts without knowing what you need. Electronics takes a lot of time.

Ask yourself, "What don't I know and how do I get there?" That is the hobby of electronics.
Then you have to learn languages to program chips. How many people build their own computers on circuit boards today? Few. The people who know or remember just have show and tell projects because they aren't going to teach you.

Yes, it is a huge learning curve, which is why this father couldn't make his son a prosthetic hand for less than it cost to go to a movie.

Wait...

It’s been a bad month for the Luddites. It’s been a good month for the Cyborgs. In fact, if you’re keeping score at home, the actual tally of this week’s games is:
Cyborgs: 2; Luddites: 0.
The first score showed up back in October 28, but the story starts a few years earlier. Leon McCarthy was born without fingers on his left hand. For the past few years, Paul McCarthy, Leon’s father, has been trying to figure out a way to afford a prosthetic hand for his son.
Costing tens of thousands of dollars, a factory-made device wasn’t an option. Not a problem. Paul borrowed a 3-D printer from his son’s school and printed his son a hand.
And it works. For the first time in his life, Leon can draw with his left hand, pick up objects, even drink from a water bottle. Think about that for a moment—home made, cutting-edge prosthetics.
A Good Month For The Cyborgs: Dad 3-D Prints Prosthetic Hand For Son And Other Bio-Hacking News - Forbes

Did you ever consider the possibility that you are stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:
He basically spent time researching it, he contacted the person who invented it and he downloaded the code and printed it. There is no genius to that. We're talking cheating here. He made it himself for less than a movie because he bought a $2,000 dollar printer. If you were to have a store make it, it would cost more right now. It is a design made by someone else.

We're talking plastic vs. metal. To melt metal, you are going to have a whole different kind of printer, possibly larger motors, etc. What kind of print head is going to survive molten metal? How much is that going to cost you?

You might need a different process to make something out of metal and you might have to study metallurgy.

Do you know how to control a stepper motor with a microcontroller? What about a series of stepper motors?

Unless you buy the technology, you probably aren't going to do it yourself because you would have to translate CAD (Computer Aided Design) files to stepper motor movements. Some people learn to program but it takes some skill to do a man size project. If I told you to buy GPS components and overlay the position on Google Map coordinates, how many people would be able to do it? How many people have the math to do it?

There are laws on what size laser you can buy anymore. Laws will be enacted as to what kind of 3D printer or technology you can buy.

He basically spent time researching it, he contacted the person who invented it and he downloaded the code and printed it. There is no genius to that. We're talking cheating here. He made it himself for less than a movie because he bought a $2,000 dollar printer. If you were to have a store make it, it would cost more right now. It is a design made by someone else.

We're talking plastic vs. metal. To melt metal, you are going to have a whole different kind of printer, possibly larger motors, etc. What kind of print head is going to survive molten metal? How much is that going to cost you?

You might need a different process to make something out of metal and you might have to study metallurgy.

Do you know how to control a stepper motor with a microcontroller? What about a series of stepper motors?

Unless you buy the technology, you probably aren't going to do it yourself because you would have to translate CAD (Computer Aided Design) files to stepper motor movements. Some people learn to program but it takes some skill to do a man size project. If I told you to buy GPS components and overlay the position on Google Map coordinates, how many people would be able to do it? How many people have the math to do it?

There are laws on what size laser you can buy anymore. Laws will be enacted as to what kind of 3D printer or technology you can buy.

I knew I was talking to an idiot, I didn't know I was talking to an authoritarian asshole.

Why would there be laws restricting what kind of printer one can buy? Are there law that make it illegal to buy all the tools that can do what a DMlS printer can do? Did you know it is perfectly legal to build your own gun if you have the know how? All a printer does is eliminate the need for all all the expensive equipment that already makes it legal.

I knew I was talking to an idiot, I didn't know I was talking to an authoritarian asshole.

Why would there be laws restricting what kind of printer one can buy? Are there law that make it illegal to buy all the tools that can do what a DMlS printer can do? Did you know it is perfectly legal to build your own gun if you have the know how? All a printer does is eliminate the need for all all the expensive equipment that already makes it legal.

Quantum,

Some day it is going to be a dangerous place for even you to go out because there are going to be fewer people with responsibility or respect.

What good are rights if there isn't responsibility to guarantee anyone's safety?

The fact is that it isn't up to me because laws will be passed without the voter's consent and it will just happen.

I'm not your enemy so there is no reason to use that language against me.

Chuck

Bro, I make my own blackpowered and saltpeter weapons on a propane powered forge and anvil --- in New York.

If I knew how to make a Star Wars blaster, it would also be legal. The government cannot regulate what you produce yourself.

Quantum,

Some day it is going to be a dangerous place for even you to go out because there are going to be fewer people with responsibility or respect.

What good are rights if there isn't responsibility to guarantee anyone's safety?

The fact is that it isn't up to me because laws will be passed without the voter's consent and it will just happen.

Chuck

Even me? Who do you think I am, James Bond?

It doesn't matter if a government passes laws that make 3D printing illegal, it is going to happen, whatever they do.

By the way, you can build a cell phone using an Arduino from Radio Shack with plans from the internet. The only thing about microcontrollers that is hard is finding the one that works best for what you want.

http://www.instructables.com/id/ArduinoPhone/

By the way, stupid is my enemy.

Last edited:

Bro, I make my own blackpowered and saltpeter weapons on a propane powered forge and anvil --- in New York.

If I knew how to make a Star Wars blaster, it would also be legal. The government cannot regulate what you produce yourself.

Little things like that confuse college grads these days. They think the only way to do anything is the way they know.

Quantum,

Chuck

No one can guarantee anyone's safety other than the individual defending himself. Nor does society have an obligation to do so.

By the way, you can build a cell phone using an Arduino from Radio Shack with plans from the internet. The only thing about microcontrollers that is hard is finding the one that works best for what you want.

Radio Shack actually sent all of their hardware to a clearance store because they wanted to cut costs. They couldn't compete in the Do It Yourself market.

Arduino is only 16 MHZ. I have some ARM microcontrollers that work up to about 180 MHZ.

Breadboarding only accommodates about 50 MHZ. You pretty much have to learn surface mount soldering if you want to go above 50 MHZ which is another skill and having a CAD program and sending your designs off to a service is an added expense unless you buy the whole thing preassembled.

Radio Shack actually sent all of their hardware to a clearance store because they wanted to cut costs. They couldn't compete in the Do It Yourself market.

Arduino is only 16 MHZ. I have some ARM microcontrollers that work up to about 180 MHZ.

Breadboarding only accommodates about 50 MHZ. You pretty much have to learn surface mount soldering if you want to go above 50 MHZ which is another skill and having a CAD program and sending your designs off to a service is an added expense unless you buy the whole thing preassembled.

Do you have a cell phone?

Forum List

Back