3D printed 1911 .45 metal gun

By the way, you can build a cell phone using an Arduino from Radio Shack with plans from the internet. The only thing about microcontrollers that is hard is finding the one that works best for what you want.

Radio Shack actually sent all of their hardware to a clearance store because they wanted to cut costs. They couldn't compete in the Do It Yourself market.

Arduino is only 16 MHZ. I have some ARM microcontrollers that work up to about 180 MHZ.

Breadboarding only accommodates about 50 MHZ. You pretty much have to learn surface mount soldering if you want to go above 50 MHZ which is another skill and having a CAD program and sending your designs off to a service is an added expense unless you buy the whole thing preassembled.

Do you have a cell phone?

I have a lower end Smart Phone.

The Arduino would never power an LCD screen from a Nexus 7 that you could buy off of Ebay because the LCD requires a frame buffer. Even the ARM Cortex M4 can't do it at 180 MHZ.

The Arduino uses a bootloader to make it easy for people to cut and paste code of the internet. A bootloader is like BASIC for the 1980's computers. It made things easy because the computer interprets BASIC and assembles the program in machine code.
Today's Arduino uses C language and basically does the same thing.

If you had to read a 300 page datasheet that is written by engineers for engineers, that is one thing. Some chips in the Beaglebone microcontroller have a 2500 page datasheet for just one chip. It isn't for everyone.

We already have 300 million guns in circulation....who cares?

Radio Shack actually sent all of their hardware to a clearance store because they wanted to cut costs. They couldn't compete in the Do It Yourself market.

Arduino is only 16 MHZ. I have some ARM microcontrollers that work up to about 180 MHZ.

Breadboarding only accommodates about 50 MHZ. You pretty much have to learn surface mount soldering if you want to go above 50 MHZ which is another skill and having a CAD program and sending your designs off to a service is an added expense unless you buy the whole thing preassembled.

The Arduino would never power an LCD screen from a Nexus 7 that you could buy off of Ebay because the LCD requires a frame buffer. Even the ARM Cortex M4 can't do it at 180 MHZ.

The Arduino uses a bootloader to make it easy for people to cut and paste code of the internet. A bootloader is like BASIC for the 1980's computers. It made things easy because the computer interprets BASIC and assembles the program in machine code.

If you had to read a 300 page datasheet that is written by engineers for engineers, that is one thing. Some chips in the Beaglebone microcontroller have a 2500 page datasheet for just one chip. It isn't for everyone.

The expert speaketh, and proves himself stupid.

You can use a TFT LCD screen with a Raspberry Pi if you buy the right screen. Maybe you should stop trying to prove you know what you are talking about and start actually looking at what is available.

You pretty much have to be an engineer to do this sort of thing. I spent two years reading about Microcontrollers and I have only made general electronics from kits because I'm busy. Even though there are tutorials for electronics, they don't teach you how to do stuff because there is a big and I mean big learning curve.

Basically you have to know electronics, you have to know programming, have to be able to draw and know something about manufacturing and interfacing a computer unless you are going to buy a 3D Printer and they are very expensive.

You have to have a little finesse and if you've ever studied Kickstarter projects, a percentage of people who do get far enough end up in failure.

It is expensive because you are buying parts without knowing what you need. Electronics takes a lot of time.

Ask yourself, "What don't I know and how do I get there?" That is the hobby of electronics.
Then you have to learn languages to program chips. How many people build their own computers on circuit boards today? Few. The people who know or remember just have show and tell projects because they aren't going to teach you.

In 1977 I was punching holes in IBM cards for a computer that cost over a million would then read. My cell phone has more power than that computer did...

We've come a long way and we are far from done....Prices will drop and capabilities will rise....

I knew I was talking to an idiot, I didn't know I was talking to an authoritarian asshole.

Why would there be laws restricting what kind of printer one can buy? Are there law that make it illegal to buy all the tools that can do what a DMlS printer can do? Did you know it is perfectly legal to build your own gun if you have the know how? All a printer does is eliminate the need for all all the expensive equipment that already makes it legal.

Quantum,

Some day it is going to be a dangerous place for even you to go out because there are going to be fewer people with responsibility or respect.

What good are rights if there isn't responsibility to guarantee anyone's safety?

The fact is that it isn't up to me because laws will be passed without the voter's consent and it will just happen.

I'm not your enemy so there is no reason to use that language against me.

Chuck

Even me? Who do you think I am, James Bond?

It doesn't matter if a government passes laws that make 3D printing illegal, it is going to happen, whatever they do.

By the way, you can build a cell phone using an Arduino from Radio Shack with plans from the internet. The only thing about microcontrollers that is hard is finding the one that works best for what you want.

ArduinoPhone

By the way, stupid is my enemy.

Unsurprisingly you miss the point.

The issue isn’t Americans making their own guns from 3D printers being legal or illegal.

The issue is the idiocy that with semi-automatic handguns and whatever other weapons Americans might make or acquire, they’ll ‘take on’ the US military if some feel their civil liberties are in ‘jeopardy.’

You pretty much have to be an engineer to do this sort of thing. I spent two years reading about Microcontrollers and I have only made general electronics from kits because I'm busy. Even though there are tutorials for electronics, they don't teach you how to do stuff because there is a big and I mean big learning curve.

Basically you have to know electronics, you have to know programming, have to be able to draw and know something about manufacturing and interfacing a computer unless you are going to buy a 3D Printer and they are very expensive.

You have to have a little finesse and if you've ever studied Kickstarter projects, a percentage of people who do get far enough end up in failure.

It is expensive because you are buying parts without knowing what you need. Electronics takes a lot of time.

Ask yourself, "What don't I know and how do I get there?" That is the hobby of electronics.
Then you have to learn languages to program chips. How many people build their own computers on circuit boards today? Few. The people who know or remember just have show and tell projects because they aren't going to teach you.

In 1977 I was punching holes in IBM cards for a computer that cost over a million would then read. My cell phone has more power than that computer did...

We've come a long way and we are far from done....Prices will drop and capabilities will rise....

No shit......I used to use a sliderule

Somebody else that used keypunch machines, you must be older than dirt.

Quantum,

Some day it is going to be a dangerous place for even you to go out because there are going to be fewer people with responsibility or respect.

What good are rights if there isn't responsibility to guarantee anyone's safety?

The fact is that it isn't up to me because laws will be passed without the voter's consent and it will just happen.

I'm not your enemy so there is no reason to use that language against me.

Chuck

Even me? Who do you think I am, James Bond?

It doesn't matter if a government passes laws that make 3D printing illegal, it is going to happen, whatever they do.

ArduinoPhone

By the way, stupid is my enemy.

Unsurprisingly you miss the point.

The issue isn’t Americans making their own guns from 3D printers being legal or illegal.

The issue is the idiocy that with semi-automatic handguns and whatever other weapons Americans might make or acquire, they’ll ‘take on’ the US military if some feel their civil liberties are in ‘jeopardy.’

The issue is that government is losing control, and that scares you.

It empowers real people, which scares you even more.

On top of that, you are calling me crazy because I am a conservative, which means, according to you, that I oppose change, even when I point to change and cheer it on.

Feel stupid yet?

And graduated to mag tape too.........

I actually wish I still had mine, they are collectible now.

This is what my workstation used to look like.

IBM_1130_concole.ms.jpg

Then we moved to this.

IBM360-photo.jpg

They both used punch cards though.

You can use a TFT LCD screen with a Raspberry Pi if you buy the right screen. Maybe you should stop trying to prove you know what you are talking about and start actually looking at what is available.

The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM chip at 700 MHZ:

I told my friend in England who is teaching me how to get started because he has hacked a few screens that he has bought off of Ebay.

The Google Nexus screen can be bought off of Ebay or the web. The screen offers 2.3 million pixels and 323 pixels in every inch.

My friend from England responded to my find and he said:

Thanks for the tip, the price is indeed attractive. The problem with these screens is that the they require very large amounts of framebuffer RAM and a high powered device to drive the LVDS serial interface - think 100s or even Gb's/sec bandwidth.

Have you read the datasheet for the Google Nexus LCD or the ARM1176JZF-S chip? Do you think that a 700 MHZ chip can deliver 100s or even GB's/sec bandwidth? No.

If you want to be superior, prove that you can get the Google Nexus LCD running on the Raspberry Pi.

Also note: RIGHT NOW, you can disassemble a gun, scan the parts into a computer, and have a machine produce a copy!

It's called CAD-CAM, and it is a wonderful thing.

The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM chip at 700 MHZ:

I told my friend in England who is teaching me how to get started because he has hacked a few screens that he has bought off of Ebay.

The Google Nexus screen can be bought off of Ebay or the web. The screen offers 2.3 million pixels and 323 pixels in every inch.

My friend from England responded to my find and he said:

Thanks for the tip, the price is indeed attractive. The problem with these screens is that the they require very large amounts of framebuffer RAM and a high powered device to drive the LVDS serial interface - think 100s or even Gb's/sec bandwidth.
Have you read the datasheet for the Google Nexus LCD or the ARM1176JZF-S chip? Do you think that a 700 MHZ chip can deliver 100s or even GB's/sec bandwidth? No.

If you want to be superior, prove that you can get the Google Nexus LCD running on the Raspberry Pi.

The point of hacking is to make things work, not talk about how hard it is. If you can't hack it, go play with Legos.

Until very recently we still had a computer that was programed with diode blocks.

I actually wish I still had mine, they are collectible now.

I still have mine from 40 years ago. Probably need to change the batteries. :lol: :lol:

Forum List

Back