....$40 worth of gas goes how far?...

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
I'm gonna try to post up a graphic from this morning's Washington Post.
I found it really informative. It adds context to this meltdown some Americans are undergoing with gas prices.
How do we compare to other countries?
They used as the standard for all countries a 10 year old Toyota Camry...one of the world's most popular sedans....and getting 32 mpg for $40 worth of gas.

I'm not sure it will interpret well in my cut & past graphic. Some fine detail may be dropped.

If that happens, well, you can go to the WaPo website under your subscription and read it in detail.

Go here:

The top graphic is for those countries with the largest economies.

• The top one is Japan....at about 275 miles (each 'hump' in the graph is 25 miles)
  • Next is the U.S.
  • Then Australia
  • South Korea
  • Canada
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • UK
-----------------------------------------------
The next 4, in the seperate graph is for next tier countries:

• Russia on top at about 350 miles
  • Mexico
  • Brazil
  • China

The last one.....a single car is ---India.

1656676982889.png

Wouldn't that depend on the MPG of the car?

Oh, absolutely.
And that is why they used as the constant.....a Toyota getting 32mpg.

The arithmetic is straightforward: $40 worth of gas at $XXX per gallon into a vehicle getting 32mpg.....how far will that take you in Russia? How far in the UK? How far in the U.S.?

The single variable is the cost of gas per gallon in each market.

Oh, absolutely.

The arithmetic is straightforward: $40 worth of gas at $XXX per gallon into a vehicle getting 32mpg.....how far will that take you in Russia? How far in the UK? How far in the U.S.?

I drive a Corolla
185 K
When I fill the tank
It runs a long time
Sorry I’m not more precise

Oh, absolutely.

They should have used a more likely constant.

perhaps 25

I'm gonna try to post up a graphic from this morning's Washington Post.
I found it really informative. It adds context to this meltdown some Americans are undergoing with gas prices.
How do we compare to other countries?
They used as the standard for all countries a 10 year old Toyota Camry...one of the world's most popular sedans....and getting 32 mpg for $40 worth of gas.

I'm not sure it will interpret well in my cut & past graphic. Some fine detail may be dropped.

If that happens, well, you can go to the WaPo website under your subscription and read it in detail.

Go here:

The top graphic is for those countries with the largest economies.

• The top one is Japan....at about 275 miles (each 'hump' in the graph is 25 miles)
  • Next is the U.S.
  • Then Australia
  • South Korea
  • Canada
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • UK
-----------------------------------------------
The next 4, in the seperate graph is for next tier countries:

• Russia on top at about 350 miles
  • Mexico
  • Brazil
  • China

The last one.....a single car is ---India.

View attachment 664651

It's a cute graph, but it lies. I pay double for a tank of gas over what I had to pay when Trump was president.

DOUBLE. I can afford it. More and more can't.

The working poor, and the lower middle class are being destroyed.

What are you going to do when they no longer have anything left and thus, nothing to fear?

They should have used a more likely constant.......perhaps 25

The mpg 'constant' makes no difference in the comparison message.
It is the 'comparative' distance.

Meaning, 25mpg or 12mpg or 50mpg can be illustrated.
The only change would be the distance travelled. And that is a comparative number that can be measured country to country.

The variable is the cost of a gallon of gas in the U.S., or in the UK, or in Russia, or in South Korea.

For us, here in America.....
.we can now see that our cost per gallon is comparatively cheap vis-a-vis the rest of the world.

True, it is higher than it was a year ago. But the same can be said in likely every country on those charts. Petroleum is a worldwide commodity. And market pricing dictates what a refinery will pay for that shipload of crude* delivered to their unloading dock. And that higher---or lower ---pricing will eventually be reflect after the crude is refined, distributed to storage tanks and then parceled out to wholesalers, who then distribute it to retailers.....who then....well, you get the drift.

* There is a recent and fascinating non-fiction book about a Somali-pirate hijacking of an oil tanker filled with crude.

(Dead in the Water: A True Story of Hijacking, Murder, and a Global Maritime Conspiracy..by Mathew Campbell )

One of the 'factoids' revealed in the book was that the crude-oil cargo contained in that ship was worth $100 million at the unloading dock of the refinery.

That surprised me. I didn't think a single ship could carry so much oil so to be worth that amount of money.

"Lies"?
About what?
About the economic impact on low wage Americans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummmm?
Are you in the right thread, poster Westwall?
Nobody has referenced the economic impact on low wage Americans in this thread.

Clue: The thread is about the comparative cost of gas in a variety of countries.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummmm?
Are you in the right thread, poster Westwall?
Nobody has referenced the economic impact on low wage Americans in this thread.

Clue: The thread is about the comparative cost of gas in a variety of countries.

Of course not, you are trying to make it seem like the situation in the US is not so bad compared to the rest of the world in an effort to bamboozle the middle class into voting for a treasonous Party who have made all but the very richest among us poorer.

This thread is a propaganda piece. "Ignore how good it was in the past, and be thankful that you aren't as bad as Europe"

Yet.

you are trying to make it seem like the situation in the US is not so bad compared to the rest of the world in an effort to bamboozle the middle class

Well, no.
My avatar was actually trying to show the readers of this particular forum some market context on our pump prices.

The poser 'westwall' has too much confidence in my avatar in his belief he is capable of 'bamboozling' anybody about anything.

Personally, for a lot of my everyday....and even those 'special' day...purchases I like to have some pricing comparatives. I find that that helps me make better decisions in my purchasing. Your habits may be different, good poster 'westwall'.

Such comparisons are simply a tool to get Americans to settle for lower standards. Becoming more like a Eurotrash shithole is always a step back. It's rather disgusting that the problem is based on liberal policies, nothing more.

Well, no.
My avatar was actually trying to show the readers of this particular forum some market context on our pump prices.

The poser 'westwall' has too much confidence in my avatar in his belief he is capable of 'bamboozling' anybody about anything.

Personally, for a lot of my everyday....and even those 'special' day...purchases I like to have some pricing comparatives. I find that that helps me make better decisions in my purchasing. Your habits may be different, good poster 'westwall'.

"Market context" is called PROPAGANDA! You aren't posting up comparatives between gas stations in a city.

You are posting up comparisons between the US, and high tax progressive shitholes and trying to make the situation here seem okay.

You aren't comparing anything.

Forum List

Back