50 years ago today man walked on the moon. Just mind blowing.

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Imagine being alone so far away from all other humans? The sheer accomplishment is one issue, that's the scientist in them to look around in awe at the desolation, take samples, be investigators. However, that curious kid in them that always wanted to travel into space had to have taken hold of them as they explored. The wonderment of looking down at earth. The excitement of taking those steps.

We can envy billionaires and playboys, but nothing anyone will ever do, they did. They were the first humans on the moon. One day when I'm gone, there will be the first colonizers and the first on mars etc. It all sprung out of the idea and then the reality that it CAN be done.

Imagine being alone so far away from all other humans? The sheer accomplishment is one issue, that's the scientist in them to look around in awe at the desolation, take samples, be investigators. However, that curious kid in them that always wanted to travel into space had to have taken hold of them as they explored. The wonderment of looking down at earth. The excitement of taking those steps.

We can envy billionaires and playboys, but nothing anyone will ever do, they did. They were the first humans on the moon. One day when I'm gone, there will be the first colonizers and the first on mars etc. It all sprung out of the idea and then the reality that it CAN be done.

It's amazing! It is incredible what men can do when they have moral convictions, and a purpose.

50 years later, now men can call themselves women, and beat the snot out of women in MMA sports, and walk into women's bathrooms, and not be arrested for either! It's incredible how we have advanced as a species....

I remember sitting in the living room in 1969 as a young boy with my family watching the moon landing on Black and White TV in stunned awe. I can't think of a greater technical achievement given the state of technology at the time.

I remember sitting in the living room in 1969 as a young boy with my family watching the moon landing on Black and White TV in stunned awe. I can't think of a greater technical achievement given the state of technology at the time.

Sadly... that wasn't my memory of how amazing human beings were.

I remember being rounded up by the school, and sent to the school gym where 5 of the biggest color TVs the school owned were tuned in... for the first public school teacher sent into space.

It didn't quite turn out as well for us. Generation to generation, technology has advanced, but not the hopeful and awe'd attitude.

I got be honest with you Mike... I would do anything to give back all the technology to your generation, and instead have that attitude and morals, passed onto this generation.

We've gained smart phones and lost the idea of right and wrong. We've gained sex-ting and naked selfies, and lost goals and purpose.

We've gained the ability to talk to people in real time, from multiple places on opposite sides of the Earth..... and now we can't even define what a 'man' is.

I love technology. I've been working in the tech sector my entire life. But sometimes I wonder if we rolled the dice between technology and a meaningful life, and lost.

Orbiting around the backside of the moon is one of the most bad ass things a human being has ever done.

th

Next big step the stars...

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

I'll always recall where I was when I watched man walk on the moon. Our family bought our first color TV for the occasion. I remember my father being quite upset that the landings were in black-and-white.

The other thing that I will never forget about America's Space Race is just how quickly it fell out of fashion. In 1969, more than 600 million people watched the moon landing globally.

Less than one year later in 1970, when the networks interrupted a re-run of 'Batman' with news of the life-and-death struggle of the Apollo 13 crew, one million views called in to complain.

Our optimism for the future and our infatuation with the space age disappeared practically overnight.

Humans haven't left low earth orbit for nearly 50 years.

2013-10-14-kuxlarge2.jpg

It was the Patriarchy that did that!!!!

Greg

I'll always recall where I was when I watched man walk on the moon. Our family bought our first color TV for the occasion. I remember my father being quite upset that the landings were in black-and-white.

The other thing that I will never forget about America's Space Race is just how quickly it fell out of fashion. In 1969, more than 600 million people watched the moon landing globally.

Less than one year later in 1970, when the networks interrupted a re-run of 'Batman' with news of the life-and-death struggle of the Apollo 13 crew, one million views called in to complain.

Our optimism for the future and our infatuation with the space age disappeared practically overnight.

Humans haven't left low earth orbit for nearly 50 years.

2013-10-14-kuxlarge2.jpg

Mine didn't.

Greg

I remember being rounded up by the school, and sent to the school gym where 5 of the biggest color TVs the school owned were tuned in... for the first public school teacher sent into space.

It didn't quite turn out as well for us. Generation to generation, technology has advanced, but not the hopeful and awe'd attitude.

I got be honest with you Mike... I would do anything to give back all the technology to your generation, and instead have that attitude and morals, passed onto this generation.

We've gained smart phones and lost the idea of right and wrong. We've gained sex-ting and naked selfies, and lost goals and purpose.

We've gained the ability to talk to people in real time, from multiple places on opposite sides of the Earth..... and now we can't even define what a 'man' is.

I love technology. I've been working in the tech sector my entire life. But sometimes I wonder if we rolled the dice between technology and a meaningful life, and lost.

We weren't better people in 1969.

Women and minorities were discriminated against in the workplace. Divorce was already becoming commonplace. Drug usage was at all time high. Domestic violence and drunk driving were barely considered crimes.

People have been complaining about the failure of morality since the days of Demosthenes. New technology provides us with new challenges.

e0bc7a187fdaf63a702390e31d5aa9a1---s-rock-festivals.jpg

At least drugs were still reasonably priced.

I couldn't agree more and I also had a long career in the tech sector as an engineer. So little attention is paid to the human elements like pride, awe, ingenuity, work ethic, individual responsibility etc. What seems to dominate people minds is either political bickering or "what really stupid or sexy thing could I post that will get me the most views?" American pride has been replaced by American Narcissism.

In the 60s President Kennedy united the whole country behind an insanely ambitious goal. The goal was achieved in spite of woefully inadequate technology through cooperation, ingenuity and a "Can't is not an option" attitude. As you said, I think we've lost that to a large degree.

What color were Christa McAuliffe's eyes?

Blue!

One blew that way, and one blew the other way.

YAY. Another brilliant investment for humanity !
I wish they'd hurry to mars so they could conduct nuclear war there for whatever the corporations decide to fight over. That means the spotted owl will be temporarily out of danger and the guys that make powder for athletes foot will continue to make billions.
MAGA

I was in a department store TV section helping my brother pick out a new TV when the Eagle landed.
That and the Bin Laden killing were the only times I witnessed people spontaneously applauding a world event in public.

I was in a department store TV section helping my brother pick out a new TV when the Eagle landed.
That and the Bin Laden killing were the only times I witnessed people spontaneously applauding a world event in public.
Bin Laden killed who ? More than Don Rumsfeld ? Count much ?
The only fact of any of this shit is Drunk Cheney shot a fucker with birdshot.

Bin Laden killed who ? More than Don Rumsfeld ? Count much ?
The only fact of any of this shit is Drunk Cheney shot a fucker with birdshot.
You’re just pissed because you don’t get enough credit for being the first American in space.

Allegedly...kidding

Forum List

Back