61% of Young Republicans Support Gay Marriage

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
So much for the bigotry or homogenous thinking on in the GOP!

I welcome this since I view myself as a conservative who supports gay marriage!

Could be a factor in 2014 and 2016, we'll see how GOP candidates deal with it.

What is the percentage of young Republicans within the GOP?

And what is "young" in GOP terms? 40?

The fact that the gop has not changed its stance on gay marriage tells you how much of a voice the young republicans have. It is religious ultra right that is pulling the strings in the republican party and until republican moderates take a stand and boot their sorry asses out nothing will change.
Read my signature. I suspect that there are millions of former republicans who feel the same.

What was the question? I doubt if it was a flat do you support gay marriage. Neither did anyone ask if people should be punished if they refuse to participate in same sex marriage.

Gay marriage is becoming less and less of a issue across the nation pretty soon the Democrats wont have the war on gays talking point.

Gay marriage isn't the issue it's how much punishment should someone receive when they refuse to participate in gay marriage. Let people live their own lives and there would be no issue.

Gay marriage isn't the issue it's how much punishment should someone receive when they refuse to participate in gay marriage. Let people live their own lives and there would be no issue.

Two gay guys or two lesbians are dating, one asks the other to marry them. The partner says no.

I don't think there should be any punishment for turning down a wedding proposal whether it be gay, lesbian, or straight.

>>>>

It's just a matter of time.

The Republicans should drop the issue toot suite because all it's going to do is damage them in the intermediate term.

What was the question? I doubt if it was a flat do you support gay marriage. Neither did anyone ask if people should be punished if they refuse to participate in same sex marriage.

Pew Research Questionaire said:
Q.B108
Do you strongly favor, favor, oppose, or strongly oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/file...erations-appendix-b-Topline-Questionnaire.pdf

Looks pretty straightforward to me.

Neither did anyone ask if people should be punished if they refuse to participate in same sex marriage.

Anyone can say "no" to a proposal from the partner they are dating, a question if they should be punished for doing so is just silly.

>>>>

Last edited:

The Republicans should drop the issue toot suite because all it's going to do is damage them in the intermediate term.

I can only express my own opinion and as a registered Republican since 1978.

We talk about liberty, and freedom, and smaller less intrusive government. We should put that into practice and support Same-sex Civil Marriage AND the repeal of Public Accommodation laws as applied to a private business. Public Accommodation laws should only apply to government entities to ensure all citizens are treated equally and restrict those entities from expending taxpayer dollars with businesses that function under a discriminatory model.

Both sides get some of what they want, but not all. Minorities, religions, homosexuals, genders - equally treated by the government. Private businesses would have their rights to free association and property restored.

A compromise that is a win/win.

>>>>

If could please, could designate the wing of the Republican party when making these statements. There are a growing number that are fiscal conservatives who lean moderate on social issues. We often get lost in the shuffle as the vocal social authoritarians get the headlines.

But that faction of the party won't learn. In 2016 they'll drive the moderate candidate to the right and get them "committed" to hardline positions to be viable in the primary so by the time the general comes around they will alienate the moderates.

>>>>

Maybe there is hope for the Reublican Party

I suspect their eventual change of heart will be too little too late

I can only express my own opinion and as a registered Republican since 1978.

We talk about liberty, and freedom, and smaller less intrusive government. We should put that into practice and support Same-sex Civil Marriage AND the repeal of Public Accommodation laws as applied to a private business. Public Accommodation laws should only apply to government entities to ensure all citizens are treated equally and restrict those entities from expending taxpayer dollars with businesses that function under a discriminatory model.

Both sides get some of what they want, but not all. Minorities, religions, homosexuals, genders - equally treated by the government. Private businesses would have their rights to free association and property restored.

A compromise that is a win/win.

>>>>
Even I agree with that.

Gay marriage being legal in every state is inevitable. I'd say 20 years max.

To my conservative friends who oppose; stop fighting it and use the resources and time you do have doing something worthwhile (like fixing the economy).

Forum List

Back