69 years ago today

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
On Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in warfare, was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Approx. 40,000 people died in Hiroshima that day, with as many as 60,000 more dying over the next year from injuries, disease, radiation etc. Three days later, another atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, with similar casualties.

Analysts estimate that the abrupt end of the war caused by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, saved approx. 500,000 American casualties, and a million or more Japanese casualties, that would otherwise have occurred in the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.

69 is my favorite number.

On this day, sixty-nine years ago, LeMay and friends dropped a nuclear device on a city that it specifically saved from bombing so it could send hundreds of technical people in later to examine the blast effects and build better bombs.

It wasn't fruitless until we were no longer the only ones to have it. Now, nuclear war is inevitable since there is not a zero probability that it can't happen.

On Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in warfare, was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Approx. 40,000 people died in Hiroshima that day, with as many as 60,000 more dying over the next year from injuries, disease, radiation etc. Three days later, another atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, with similar casualties.

Analysts estimate that the abrupt end of the war caused by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, saved approx. 500,000 American casualties, and a million or more Japanese casualties, that would otherwise have occurred in the planned invasion of the Japanese home islands.

They brought it on themselves.

Yamamoto himself realized it too late that they royally fucked up by dragging us into the war.

there you go BEN !! My Dad and Uncles all got married a year or 2 after the bombs were dropped and then had families . Without the bombs they mighta died invading Japan .

Last edited:

Yamamoto himself realized it too late that they royally fucked up by dragging us into the war.

Learn some history. Yamamoto was against war with the US from the gitgo. He had seen and understood the industrial might of the US.

I just bumped into a tin can sailor in an Arby's today. His destroyer was blown out from under him off Okinawa.

He lost a lot of shipmates.

I wish I had seen this topic before I met him so I could ask him what his thoughts were about nuking Japan.

Nuke em now while we have the opportunity.

Nuke who, and what opportunity?

Pick a nation that supports Islamic terrorism. Tell them to knock it off. Tell them the consequences if they don't. Demonstrate the consequences. No longer should we send our men and women to fight at a level of our enemy...as we have since the end of ww2. Never made sense to me.

Iran or Qatar come to mind.

Last edited:

On this day, sixty-nine years ago, LeMay and friends dropped a nuclear device on a city that it specifically saved from bombing so it could send hundreds of technical people in later to examine the blast effects and build better bombs.

Now that's planning ahead!

Learn some history. Yamamoto was against war with the US from the gitgo. He had seen and understood the industrial might of the US.

"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant.............."

Now that's planning ahead!

Imagine Lemay taking orders from pip squeak Obabble...

"I fear all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant.............."

And given him a terrible resolve.

Not so true today though.

If Pearl Harbor happened today America would be asking where it went so wrong so as to cause the well deserved punishment.

There would have been no need for an invasion.
Japan quit when the Russians joined the party.
Truman dropped the bomb to scare Stalin out of Korea.

Forum List

Back