$7,000, 84-mpg Commuter Car

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
I wonder what the oil oligarchs in Louisiana think of this "car" being built in their state?

Elio Motors highlights its $7,000, 84-mpg 3-wheeled car

By C.C. Weiss

<snip>

As for its claim that this is a car and not a 3-wheeled motorcycle, Elio Motors points to the enclosed cabin and its underlying structure, which includes a reinforced roll cage and 50 percent larger crush zones than similar vehicles. The company even anticipates it getting a 5-star safety rating.

"What do you see when you look at the Elio?" Elio inquires on its website. "Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals … you be the judge."

Of course, it also mentions that the vehicle is considered a motorcycle by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Its executives and lobbyists have some work to do in making the case that it is indeed a car and can be driven as such.

Elio Motors plans to begin production on the Elio by July 2014 in Shreveport, Louisiana. It held a press conference last week to announce its supply partners, and promised that not only will production be in the U.S., but 95 percent of materials will also be American-made. The more than 20 suppliers include Altair Engineering, IAV, NEWTECH 3, and Comau. It will provide more details about its plan for distribution and retail later this year.

With a few questions hanging over the Elio – including whether it will be able to finance its operations – it seems a bit early to start making reservations. The opportunity is available, however, starting at $100.

I wonder what the oil oligarchs in Louisiana think of this "car" being built in their state?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

As for its claim that this is a car and not a 3-wheeled motorcycle, Elio Motors points to the enclosed cabin and its underlying structure, which includes a reinforced roll cage and 50 percent larger crush zones than similar vehicles. The company even anticipates it getting a 5-star safety rating.

"What do you see when you look at the Elio?" Elio inquires on its website. "Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals &#8230; you be the judge."

Of course, it also mentions that the vehicle is considered a motorcycle by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Its executives and lobbyists have some work to do in making the case that it is indeed a car and can be driven as such.

Elio Motors plans to begin production on the Elio by July 2014 in Shreveport, Louisiana. It held a press conference last week to announce its supply partners, and promised that not only will production be in the U.S., but 95 percent of materials will also be American-made. The more than 20 suppliers include Altair Engineering, IAV, NEWTECH 3, and Comau. It will provide more details about its plan for distribution and retail later this year.

With a few questions hanging over the Elio &#8211; including whether it will be able to finance its operations &#8211; it seems a bit early to start making reservations. The opportunity is available, however, starting at $100.

I am curious what the sentence I highlighted is supposed to mean. What constraints are put on how we would drive this vehicle by the government's classification of it as a motorcycle?

I like the thing. I've been thinking about a Smart Car for a commuter vehicle, but 95% of my commute is on an interstate and with its streamlining, this Elio looks better suited for 80 mph cruising.

Last edited:
I wonder what the oil oligarchs in Louisiana think of this "car" being built in their state?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

"What do you see when you look at the Elio?" Elio inquires on its website. "Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals … you be the judge."

With a few questions hanging over the Elio – including whether it will be able to finance its operations – it seems a bit early to start making reservations. The opportunity is available, however, starting at $100.

I am curious what the sentence I highlighted is supposed to mean. What constraints are put on how we would drive this vehicle by the government's classification of it as a motorcycle?

I like the thing. I've been thinking about a Smart Car for a commuter vehicle, but 95% of my commute is on an interstate and with its streamlining, this Elio looks better suited for 80 mph cruising.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Federal, state and local governments are slow to catch up to technological advances but hopefully they'll consider these two paragraphs from the OP.[/FONT]

"As for its claim that this is a car and not a 3-wheeled motorcycle, Elio Motors points to the enclosed cabin and its underlying structure, which includes a reinforced roll cage and 50 percent larger crush zones than similar vehicles. The company even anticipates it getting a 5-star safety rating.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If all of the info being sent out by Elio is on the up and up, Elio might be a good choice for lots of single driver commuters and/or one driver, one passenger commuters. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Has anyone seen anything about Elio's creature comforts - heater, A/C, radio, bun warmer, automatic mirrors, electrric seats, power steering/brakes, GPS, hands free phone, etc. and what do creature comforts do to the price, weight, MPG?[/FONT]

From their website:

Standard features: A/C, heat, AM/FM stereo, power windows, power door lock, three air bags, auxiliary port, ABS and traction control

They're offering a deal now where if you put money down on the thing (nonrefundable money), they will knock half that amount off the purchase price (up to $500). In a bit that goes down to 25% off.

Last edited:
No storage space. Not an all season vehicle. It's a nice toy for the urban scum who never get outside the city but otherwise it's worthless.

It has a limited amount of storage space, particularly if its only carrying one person. It's not being marketed as a pickup truck or an SUV. If that's what you need, don't buy one of these. If you need to get one or two person to work every day, it looks fine.

PS, there are perfectly nice people living and/or working in urban settings just as there are complete scum living in the countryside. Look at you for goodness sake...

meh

People who drive one of those are a bit overly enthusiastic about meeting their maker.

It might sell 17 copies here in America......might catch on some in Europe where they prefer faggoty-ass cars, relatively speaking.

I remember seeing the hype on here a few years ago about hybrids and EV's........lol.............nobody wants those things and the sales numbers prove it! A joke.

Last edited:
th

I see these things all over Vegas. No luggage space but plenty for driver and 1 pax. Have no idea what they cost.

In many states, all occupants would have to wear helmets and the driver would have to have a motorcycle license.

Put a forth wheel on the dang thing, a 100,000 mile warranty, and I'll buy the dang thing..........

My truck growls every time I go by the gas stations................

Fully enclosed like a standard automobile, the vehicle's three-wheel design falls under the U.S. government motorcycle classification.

Also if this ever catches on and becomes popular the unions will soon descend on this company and make their live miserable until they accept all their employees to be unionized.

Also you can not just take this car anywhere to get fixed, according to their website you have to take this to a Pepboys service center.

The Elio comes standard with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty!

I think it is great idea, just not sure how well it will hold up in accident.

Fully enclosed like a standard automobile, the vehicle's three-wheel design falls under the U.S. government motorcycle classification.

Also if this ever catches on and becomes popular the unions will soon descend on this company and make their live miserable until they accept all their employees to be unionized.

Also you can not just take this car anywhere to get fixed, according to their website you have to take this to a Pepboys service center.

Or hitting a deer on these back roads I drive.

It has a limited amount of storage space, particularly if its only carrying one person. It's not being marketed as a pickup truck or an SUV. If that's what you need, don't buy one of these. If you need to get one or two person to work every day, it looks fine.

It doesn't appear to have enough storage fir my wife and I do do our weekly grocery shopping, never mind carry anything of size in it.

PS, there are perfectly nice people living and/or working in urban settings just as there are complete scum living in the countryside. Look at you for goodness sake...

I haven't found many decent urban residents. Most of the jackholes in the country are transplanted urbanites.

Or hitting a deer on these back roads I drive.

According to the OP article: "As for its claim that this is a car and not a 3-wheeled motorcycle, Elio Motors points to the enclosed cabin and its underlying structure, which includes a reinforced roll cage and 50 percent larger crush zones than similar vehicles. The company even anticipates it getting a 5-star safety rating."

Forum List

Back