🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

8 year old is Abby at home, Adam on the football field

8 year olds playing football? that's dumb.

You making that type of decision for anyone but your child, if you have them, is stupid.
seriously though what's the point of that?

there are much better age appropriate team sports to spend time on

Again, not your place to decide for anyone but your own. You don't get to make that decision for me or anyone else. In other words, unless it's YOUR kids, mind your own fucking business.
did i hurt your feelings?

relax, it's just an opinion. playing football is better than no sport at all. i just don't think there's a lot of fundamental transferable skills learned. could be wrong. hope i am.

Not capable of doing so.

What you said went beyond an opinion.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Don't be such of a daffodil. Many kids play football at that age. I did.

Really?

Sure did. The program being discussed in the OP was filmed in the county I grew up in. Football is serious business.

Our sons both play one is a QB and the other is a RB. They enjoy it but I'd rather they stick to basketball and baseball

Cool. I played baseball as well. When it came to football, I really didn't have much choice to play. My father was very adamant that I play. I enjoyed it and I was pretty fucking good but my knees, fingers, and, toes are all busted up.

in an organized league?

I started when I was 7, the youngest age for the leagues where I lived. My dad coached for many years. If I remember correctly, the younger groups were PeeWee (7 - 8 y/o), Midgets (9 - 11 y/o), and don't remember (12 - 13 y/o). The older group, and I don't remember what it was called has been replaced for the most part by Middle School or D Team. By the time we got to high school, you were either good enough to play for the school or you didn't play. No organized youth leagues for above 13 y/o.

It was pretty much the same with baseball and basketball. Soccer didn't come along until after I was older.

It must have done some good. A part of my college was funded by athletic scholarships and the rest was academic.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Really?

Sure did. The program being discussed in the OP was filmed in the county I grew up in. Football is serious business.
but at 8 you can't really even learn the game because the skills don't exist yet to play it.

fond memories?

Don't be so sure. You would be surprised how many kids pick up on the fundamentals and skills of the game at that age. Skills that will only make them better as their further football career.

Really?

but at 8 you can't really even learn the game because the skills don't exist yet to play it.

fond memories?

Don't be so sure. You would be surprised how many kids pick up on the fundamentals and skills of the game at that age. Skills that will only make them better as their further football career.
maybe. but every time i see video of kids even up to junior high playing football the gameplan is always the same - give it to the biggest or fastest kid and watch them either run through or around everyone.

Really?

fond memories?

maybe. but every time i see video of kids even up to junior high playing football the gameplan is always the same - give it to the biggest or fastest kid and watch them either run through or around everyone.

It is a bit more nuanced than that but that is the gist of it. lol. My school had programs and camps that one could do in the off season to keep sharp for the next season. Summer camps, lifting sessions, film sessions, and whatnot. As a classic overachiever I did all of them. It is the Rust Belt and some places do not have a lot to get excited about. Local sports offers that as an outlet for these communities. They take football quite serious here.

fond memories?

It is a bit more nuanced than that but that is the gist of it. lol. My school had programs and camps that one could do in the off season to keep sharp for the next season. Summer camps, lifting sessions, film sessions, and whatnot. As a classic overachiever I did all of them. It is the Rust Belt and some places do not have a lot to get excited about. Local sports offers that as an outlet for these communities. They take football quite serious here.
sorry, you weren't going to lifting and film sessions at age 8

fond memories?

Not at 8. I meant as I got older. lol

fond memories?

that's my only thing. football is a great sport, my son will play. but football at age 8? if we're going to spend time and effort on a sport at that age i'd rather it was something he got more out of. soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey...

something that's more aerobic and requires more from every player

that's my only thing. football is a great sport, my son will play. but football at age 8? if we're going to spend time and effort on a sport at that age i'd rather it was something he got more out of. soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey...

You know who never plays football at the age of 13? Boys who didn't make the cut because they didn't start developing skills at the age of 8 like the other boys.

You know who never plays football at the age of 13? Boys who didn't make the cut because they didn't start developing skills at the age of 8 like the other boys.
sorry, that's not going to be a problem for my kid.

and there are no football-specific skills that a kid learns between 8 and 13 in a league.

maybe how to throw the ball, but that's all.

and there are no football-specific skills that a kid learns between 8 and 13 in a league.

You sound like you don't have a blessed clue what you're talking about. Yet you speak!

You sound like you don't have a blessed clue what you're talking about. Yet you speak!
i was an all state football player...
you know, back in the glory days
seriously - what football specific skill is learned at such a young age

Forum List

Back