911 All Over Again...

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
I've been watching the rerun of that horror this morning. I'm one who never really got over this happening right here at home.

Today is a clear, sun shiny day just like back then only it's a little warmer today.

If you lived through it, you'll never forget.

I've been watching the rerun of that horror this morning. I'm one who never really got over this happening right here at home.

Today is a clear, sun shiny day just like back then only it's a little warmer today.

If you lived through it, you'll never forget.
It was a wake up call for most Americans. Us military-types had been expecting it for a few decades.

The main problem of 9/11 is that the terrorists did win to an extent: they committed a heinous act and most Americans were terrorized. They hid in their homes and screamed for the government to save them even at the cost of essential liberties. We lost and they won that battle.

That was a very frightening day. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. We didn't know who had attacked us or what would happen next. Our government did their best to keep us safe and I don't feel we lost in any way.

That was a very frightening day. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. We didn't know who had attacked us or what would happen next. Our government did their best to keep us safe and I don't feel we lost in any way.
Sorry, but that's my point. Americans had grown soft and complacent behind our large economy, large military and two oceans. Terrorism was a "Middle Eastern" or "European" thing. Tragedies like Munich or Achille Lauro happened and Americans typically tsked tsked and then went back to their happy, relatively carefree lives. We were ripe for being terrorized.

When we were attacked, as a nation, we had two primary choices; stand strong and give a collective "fuck you!" or be terrorized. We allowed ourselves to be terrorized. Sure, our political leaders ordered the military to take down al-Qaeda, rightfully so, but Americans still hid in their homes and acquiesced to giving up essential liberties for the illusion of security. We lost that particular phase of battle. Since then, most Americans have become uneasy with the Patriot Act, torture and other excesses of government such as the war in Iraq. Would those things have happened if most Americans hadn't been successfully terrorized? I think they wouldn't have.

Sorry, but that's my point. Americans had grown soft and complacent behind our large economy, large military and two oceans. Terrorism was a "Middle Eastern" or "European" thing. Tragedies like Munich or Achille Lauro happened and Americans typically tsked tsked and then went back to their happy, relatively carefree lives. We were ripe for being terrorized.

When we were attacked, as a nation, we had two primary choices; stand strong and give a collective "fuck you!" or be terrorized. We allowed ourselves to be terrorized. Sure, our political leaders ordered the military to take down al-Qaeda, rightfully so, but Americans still hid in their homes and acquiesced to giving up essential liberties for the illusion of security. We lost that particular phase of battle. Since then, most Americans have become uneasy with the Patriot Act, torture and other excesses of government such as the war in Iraq. Would those things have happened if most Americans hadn't been successfully terrorized? I think they wouldn't have.
Americans still hid in their homes and acquiesced to giving up essential liberties for the illusion of security. We lost that particular phase of battle.
Just what's got your panties in a twist, Divine Wind?

...Just what's got your panties in a twist, Divine Wind?
The disgust that a few Islamic terrorists can cower the most powerful nation on the planet. We've grown soft and terrorists and other enemies not only know it but are using it to their advantage.

...Just what's got your panties in a twist, Divine Wind?
The disgust that a few Islamic terrorists can cower the most powerful nation on the planet. We've grown soft and terrorists and other enemies not only know it but are using it to their advantage.
So a minute ago, you were criticizing the Patriot Act and torture, and now you're saying we're soft and scared? Either I'm reading you wrong, or I'm desperately confused about what WOULD make you happy.

So a minute ago, you were criticizing the Patriot Act and torture, and now you're saying we're soft and scared? Either I'm reading you wrong, or I'm desperately confused about what WOULD make you happy.
I still criticize the Patriot Act and torture. Yes. Obviously you support the Patriot Act and condone torture, meaning you'll give up your morals, in order to feel "safe".

What would make me happy is for this generation to be known as "the Greatest Generation", but that's highly unlikely.

More likely we'll be known as "the Spineless Generation"; the generation that quickly gave up essential liberties to protect their cowardly hides. You should be old enough to know that once freedoms are given up, they are very difficult gain back because an all-powerful government wouldn't give them back without a fight.

I still criticize the Patriot Act and torture. Yes. Obviously you support the Patriot Act and condone torture, meaning you'll give up your morals, in order to feel "safe".

What would make me happy is for this generation to be known as "the Greatest Generation", but that's highly unlikely.

More likely we'll be known as "the Spineless Generation"; the generation that quickly gave up essential liberties to protect their cowardly hides. You should be old enough to know that once freedoms are given up, they are very difficult gain back because an all-powerful government wouldn't give them back without a fight.
What essential liberties have we given up to protect our cowardly hides? Should we NOT have protected our hides? How else could we have found the terrorists lurking amongst us? I'm genuinely asking. I don't know what you mean.

The USA is a reactionary society not a preventive one, and so it always takes something big, like Pearl Harbor or 9-11, to get things moving in the right direction.

Each time unfortunately around 3000 people first had to die before action was taken.

The FBI was on the right track last time about ferreting out the Arab Muslim Saudi conspiracy to crash the airliners into tall buildings, but the FBI bureaucracy got in the way.

Last time at Pearl Harbor is was DOD bureaucracy that got in the way.

While I don't blame W or FDR for it having happened on their watch, there are things that they each could have done to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I don't feel we lost in any way.
I don't think that we have lost either at least not to who attacked us on that day any way and I believe that the last 15 years of life in the USA is what proves that we do not lose to them. What made them think that life would not go on if that is what they thought would happen afterwards?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back