A compromise on Voting Rights, conservatives?

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
Right wingers have begun their spin about elections being "rigged" in preparation for the Trump loss this Nov. 8th.

Now, one of the most ardent stance by right wingers, is the use of a PHOTO I.D by ALL voters.

So, here's the compromise:

1. Make the gaining of photo I.D.'s a free and easily accessible process.
2. Allow for ALL states to have early voting without restrictions.
3. However, move Election Day to be on a weekend (preferably a Saturday when most people are off of work) or even have Election Days (plural) over the entire weekend; the cost, in the scheme of things, would be minimal but dramatically increase voters' turnout.

Deal???.

Right wingers have begun their spin about elections being "rigged" in preparation for the Trump loss this Nov. 8th.

Now, one of the most ardent stance by right wingers, is the use of a PHOTO I.D by ALL voters.

3. However, move Election Day to be on a weekend (preferably a Saturday when most people are off of work) or even have Election Days (plural) over the entire weekend; the cost, in the scheme of things, would be minimal but dramatically increase voters' turnout.

Deal???.
Why do I have the feeling that in conservative speak, " that dog wont hunt".

Perhaps the scariest factor for conservatives is HIGH voters' turnout; the more "democratic" elections become, the fewer wins for conservatives.

Perhaps the scariest factor for conservatives is HIGH voters' turnout; the more "democratic" elections become, the fewer wins for conservatives.
Yea, the closer voter turnout starts to resemble actual demographics the slimmer their chances. That's how you kind of have to look at this election cycle I think. Kind of a 'last hurrah' for the older with man vote. We might even get 2 parties who will talk about ideas if Trump loses big enough. Al tough that's by no means a certainty.

I read somewhere (but I can't find it right now) that white voters are registered to vote by a whopping 72 or 75%; while blacks, Hispanic/Latinos, Asian and native American voters are at a mere 56% registered to vote.

Deal???.

Why what's unreasonable about it?

Or instead of moving it to a weekend just have a national vote holiday.

Or instead of moving it to a weekend just have a national vote holiday.

Some countries already do this.....HOWEVER, it is much more expensive to have a national holiday (loss of business) than to simply moving Election Day on a weekend.

We've allowed the right wing to control the voting rights discussion and we need to step back and look at it objectively.

The right wing doesn't like background checks on purchasing firearms. They think that they are onerous. So let's use the same "onerous" method for voting. You show up to vote, you fill out a form, and unless the government can show that you are ineligible to vote, you proceed to exercise your right. Just like buying a gun, you can vote if you want to unless the government can show that your are not entitled to.

The right wing has convinced us that the citizen must prove he's eligible to vote. That's absolutely backwards, and inconsistent with our body of law. In every other situation, the government must prove that a citizen is ineligible to exercise his rights. It should be no different when voting. You want to vote, you vote unless the government can prove you aren't eligible.

Deal???.

Speaking as a Republican I don't have an issue with that.

RE #1: The caveat being that the Photo ID be based on a issue process that ensures that the individual is a citizen of the United States and eligible to vote. I've felt for a long time that Drivers Licenses or non-Driving State ID show a persons voter eligiblity as a "flag" such as "Voter = Y" or "Voter = N" since non-Citizens can legally have Drivers Licenses or non-Driving State IDs (people here legally, but who are not eligible to vote).

RE #2: States can already have early voting.

Re #3: "Election Day" should represent the end of the voting process. States can if they want have earlier voting to provide flexibility in making it to the polls.

>>>>

We've allowed the right wing to control the voting rights discussion and we need to step back and look at it objectively.

The right wing doesn't like background checks on purchasing firearms. They think that they are onerous. So let's use the same "onerous" method for voting. You show up to vote, you fill out a form, and unless the government can show that you are ineligible to vote, you proceed to exercise your right. Just like buying a gun, you can vote if you want to unless the government can show that your are not entitled to.

The right wing has convinced us that the citizen must prove he's eligible to vote. That's absolutely backwards, and inconsistent with our body of law. In every other situation, the government must prove that a citizen is ineligible to exercise his rights. It should be no different when voting. You want to vote, you vote unless the government can prove you aren't eligible.

Any citizen over 18 can already vote. The "registration" provides that voters are voting in the jurisdiction where they are a resident. There is no right to vote in other districts.

>>>>

Deal???.

Speaking as a Republican I don't have an issue with that.

RE #1: The caveat being that the Photo ID be based on a issue process that ensures that the individual is a citizen of the United States and eligible to vote. I've felt for a long time that Drivers Licenses or non-Driving State ID show a persons voter eligiblity as a "flag" such as "Voter = Y" or "Voter = N" since non-Citizens can legally have Drivers Licenses or non-Driving State IDs (people here legally, but who are not eligible to vote).

RE #2: States can already have early voting.

Re #3: "Election Day" should represent the end of the voting process. States can if they want have earlier voting to provide flexibility in making it to the polls.

>>>>

I've never liked early voting, especially when it starts weeks before an election. If your vote is important to you, it is important enough to make the time to do it. I would support making at a permanent national holiday to make things easier for people,and to still allow absentee balloting for valid reasons. Hell, I would make it a 24 hour period starting 9PM the day before and ending 9PM the day of.

The idea of voting "whenever" is the same issue where people don't feel invested in their government. We have cheapened the civic act of voting into something equivalent to placing a baseball All Star game ballot.

Deal???.

1. In my state we provide the ID if you cant afford it. It is already a easily accessible process. Does your state make it hard to obtain a state ID? What specifically are they doing that makes it such a great challenge?

2. No Restrictions on voting. I bet you would love that. Dumb.

3. Racism is the thing that motivates democrats. You don't have to move the day. Just run a black guy and tell everyone they must vote because of skin pigmentation.

Deal???.

The voter i.d. is already free. It has to be since voting is a Right.

Early voting is one of the main areas of voter fraud.....voting should be done the day of the election....but two days to vote would be fine.....

Election day on the weekend...that would be fine too.......

I read somewhere (but I can't find it right now) that white voters are registered to vote by a whopping 72 or 75%; while blacks, Hispanic/Latinos, Asian and native American voters are at a mere 56% registered to vote.

This is a big steaming pile of shit. Tell me Al, how do you survive without a state issued ID? Why are you incapable of obtaining one? Did the mean republicans chase you away from the DMV?

Any citizen over 18 can already vote. The "registration" provides that voters are voting in the jurisdiction where they are a resident. There is no right to vote in other districts.

>>>>
Then, once registered, there should be no obstacles placed the citizen's way when he shows up to vote.

This is a big steaming pile of shit. Tell me Al, how do you survive without a state issued ID? Why are you incapable of obtaining one? Did the mean republicans chase you away from the DMV?
What in the world are you talking about? The registration process vets the applicant. That's where one shows who he is and where he lives.

When it comes time to vote, he need only show up, sign the register and vote. Why hassle him again? He's already established his bona fides.

What in the world are you talking about? The registration process vets the applicant. That's where one shows who he is and where he lives.

When it comes time to vote, he need only show up, sign the register and vote. Why hassle him again? He's already established his bona fides.
The reason you show an ID to vote is the same reason you show an ID when paying with a check. To verify. What exactly troubles you about this aspect of the process?

The reason you show an ID to vote is the same reason you show an ID when paying with a check. To verify. What exactly troubles you about this aspect of the process?
Unless you're missing both arms, your signature suffices.

Deal???.
One step further. Election day is held the day after taxes are due, and we eliminate payroll tax withholding.

Unless you're missing both arms, your signature suffices.
So if I decided to vote using your name, you'll be fine with that, correct?

Forum List

Back