Is it Rational to Consider "College Grads" as a Category of Voters?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

College grads come in all shapes and sizes, and in many respects they are very different.

During my long and spotted career I worked for mostly engineering companies and engineering-intensive manufacturers. Virtually all of my co-workers were college grads, but they were in finite subjects like engineering, accounting, and business. Few of them had studied literature, philosophy, the Arts, or even writing. In fact, few of them had ever read a novel. Most were strongly opinionated about politics and the vast majority were emphatic Republicans, long before DJT hit the scene.

Colleges are graduating more women than men these days and it wouldn't surprise me if more than half of voting American college graduates were women. But their degrees are in general a whole different matter from those I describe above. Their majors were almost entirely qualitative rather than quantitative, and I dare say, most of those degrees had little "academic rigor." The largest single grouping would be degrees in "Education" (which is not even a subject, when you get right down to it), with "Liberal Arts" coming in second. Even the "science" degrees are in the "soft" sciences like psychology, sociology, social work, poly-sci, and things of that nature.

This leads to headlines and a general belief that "most" college graduates prefer Biden to Trump. But using College Graduates as a single category is like referring to battle casualties as "injured or killed." They are two completely different things.

The only logical conclusion is that womens' suffrage was a very bad idea, from which we still suffer.

College grads come in all shapes and sizes, and in many respects they are very different.

Sure, amount of education level is a very valid measure to look at especially from a marketing perspective. And let's be honest, campaigns are all about marketing.

It helps focus messaging to various demographics. (Education being one of them.)

The only logical conclusion is that womens' suffrage was a very bad idea, from which we still suffer.

See some people think giving women the vote was a mistake.

Some people think teaching women to read was a mistake.

I on the other hand think teaching women to talk was a mistake.

WW
The first part was serious.

The second part?

Sarcasm Warning.jpg

During my long and spotted career I worked for mostly engineering companies and engineering-intensive manufacturers. Virtually all of my co-workers were college grads, but they were in finite subjects like engineering, accounting, and business. Few of them had studied literature, philosophy, the Arts, or even writing. In fact, few of them had ever read a novel. Most were strongly opinionated about politics and the vast majority were emphatic Republicans, long before DJT hit the scene.

Colleges are graduating more women than men these days and it wouldn't surprise me if more than half of voting American college graduates were women. But their degrees are in general a whole different matter from those I describe above. Their majors were almost entirely qualitative rather than quantitative, and I dare say, most of those degrees had little "academic rigor." The largest single grouping would be degrees in "Education" (which is not even a subject, when you get right down to it), with "Liberal Arts" coming in second. Even the "science" degrees are in the "soft" sciences like psychology, sociology, social work, poly-sci, and things of that nature.

This leads to headlines and a general belief that "most" college graduates prefer Biden to Trump. But using College Graduates as a single category is like referring to battle casualties as "injured or killed." They are two completely different things.

It is a demographic.
Do all blacks vote Democratic? No, but most do
Do all farmers vote Republican? No, but most do
Do left handed people vote Democratic? Maybe by a small margin that is not significant

Do most college educated people vote Democratic? Yes, by a significant margin

Forum List

Back