A friendly PC reminder

Pay attention closely folks, this is what we call EPP (eephus pitch pwnage).

That some people are part black doesn't remove from my point.

When did I say it was obvious?

Your point was precisely that, that it is OBVIOUS!

The evidence... your own words Nikfail! :rofl:

Nobody is going around wondering what the "characteristics" of someone black are. They are, by definition, black.

Nobody is going around wondering what the "characteristics" of someone black are. They are, by definition, black.
You can't always tell if a man is a man by looking at him either, but that doesn't change the fact that he is by definition a man.

Epic Fail!

You can tell who is black and who is not. Hence defining them as ignorant means you are defining certain people as ignorant..

You're missing the point. If Ravi can define redneck as intolerant, then why can't someone else define black as ignorant? Just because some people define black based on skin complexion doesn't mean that's the only defintion. Just like Allie's definition of redneck as living in a rural area isn't the only definition of redneck. But to suggest that Allie shouldn't be offended by Ravi's characterization of rednecks as intolerant because Ravi defines redneck differently is wholly laughable. And it becomes hypocritical when you claim that my hypothetical equivalent is offensive, when I'm in FACT, doing the EXACT same thing.

Redneck is a definition that people can, and do, reasonably disagree on. Black, is not. Black is a skin color.
Actually shades of brown are a skin color. While I get your point, some people with what many Americans would consider "black skin" do not themselves identify as "blacks". I once witnessed an argument between an American black and a guy from Trinidad of South Asian descent where the former accused the latter of pretending he wasn't black and the latter saying indeed, he wasn't black because his ancestors had never been slaves. Now we have that wonderful expression, "Afro-American" which does nothing to improve the situation, since it's just used by most as a euphemism for black, which was a euphemism for Colored, and so forth.

By definition black doesn't mean that it is obvious that one can tell they are black.

By definition a bachelor is an unmarried man.

So is this guy a bachelor?

62861_manSmiling.jpg

Yay, appeal to fallacy fallacy.

Pointing out that something is a fallacy, is a fallacy how exactly?

Good luck with that.

And a poll to establish a reasonable person standard on a subjective point is a fallacy how?

Assuming that people on this board are representative of reasonable people. Secondly assuming that a reasonable person standard is applicable. Thirdly, assuming that its a subjective point. Fourthly, if its a subjective point that is merely a reasonable person standard, why are you insisting one is necessarily correct, if it is merely an opinion?

By definition black doesn't mean that it is obvious that one can tell they are black.

62861_manSmiling.jpg

I repeat...

So what are the characteristics of someone black then?

You can't always tell if a man is a man by looking at him either, but that doesn't change the fact that he is by definition a man.

Epic Fail!
Not entirely true. While hormone tests can establish which sex a person is according to, say, standards set by the Olympics committee, race is a social construct. Genetic tests only reveal genetic variables and while they can be used to associate a person to other people with similar gene patterns living together in different parts of the world, that's about all they can do. We are all one species.

Last edited:

62861_manSmiling.jpg

I repeat...

Skin color, and ancestors skin color.

You can't always tell if a redneck is a redneck by looking at him either, but according to you that doesn't change that fact that he is by definition, intolerant. :rofl:

This is just too damn fun. Keep it coming, please. :lol:

Epic Fail!
Not entirely true. While hormone tests can establish which sex a person is according to, say, standards set by the Olympics committee, race is a social construct. Genetic tests only reveal genetic variables and while they can be used to associate a person to other people with similar gene patterns living together in different parts of the world, that's about all they can do. We all all one species.

The color of ones skin is a genetic variable.

You can't always tell if a redneck is a redneck by looking at him either, but according to you that doesn't change that fact that he is by definition, intolerant. :rofl:

And?

Who would have thought you'd find it fun to be shown to be a complete moron.

A wee bit of a masochist are you, Mani?

62861_manSmiling.jpg

I repeat...

Skin color, and ancestors skin color.

So is Derek Jeter black or not?

Epic Fail!
Not entirely true. While hormone tests can establish which sex a person is according to, say, standards set by the Olympics committee, race is a social construct. Genetic tests only reveal genetic variables and while they can be used to associate a person to other people with similar gene patterns living together in different parts of the world, that's about all they can do. We all all one species.
heh, read that wrong. Some people believe gender is a social construct, kittenkoder comes to mind.

Race is a social construct and we'd be more correct to use ethnic background but what can you do? Doesn't change my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

And?

Who would have thought you'd find it fun to be shown to be a complete moron.

A wee bit of a masochist are you, Mani?

Almost 200 posts and still the OP remains un-rebuked. I'd say the moron here is that ugly mug peering back at you from the mirror. Assuming you have the stomach to look yourself in the eye that is.

Forum List

Back