A man of substance and knowledge states his opinion of Trump

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
The best creator of documentories on history, Ken Burns, states his opinion of Trump.

Who says this man is knowledgeable? Your opinion. And no one cares about his opinion.

Do you really think many people will be swayed at this point?

perhaps the most salient point that Burns makes is summarized in this article's excerpt.

Roy Cohn, the lurking legal hit man for red-baiting Sen. Joe McCarthy, whose reign of televised intimidation in the 1950s has become synonymous with demagoguery, fear-mongering and character assassination. In the formative years of Donald Trump’s career, when he went from a rich kid working for his real estate-developing father to a top-line dealmaker in his own right, Cohn was one of the most powerful influences and helpful contacts in Trump’s life.

Read more: Roy Cohn: Joe McCarthy's henchman and Donald Trump's mentor

The best creator of documentories on history, Ken Burns, states his opinion of Trump.

You do realize that all of Ken Burns' documentaries are to some degree Hollywooded, right? There are aspects of what he has portrayed in his historical documentaries that are still disputed by many legitimate historians and lauded by others, many have their own reasons for both sides.
Robert B. Toplin, perhaps the nation's foremost film historian, has assembled a cast of distinguished scholars for commentary on the series. Two of them, retired professor C. Vann Woodward and Toplin himself, clearly like the film; three of them, social and political historians Catherine Clinton, Eric Foner, and Leon F. Litwack, condemn it; and two others, biographers and military historians Gabor S. Boritt and Gary W. Gallagher, fall somewhere in between. The book concludes with spirited defenses by series writer Geoffrey C. Ward and director Ken Burns.

Toplin judges Burns by the standards of television, not by those of historians. Not surprisingly, Burns emerges unscathed. Toplin justly lauds Burns for his dynamic use of photographs and for eschewing fictional re-creations of events. Jay Ungar's musical composition, "Ashokan Farewell," the many quotations of individuals from various walks of life, and Sullivan Ballou's lovely and moving letter to his wife Sarah, are all properly seen as vehicles for stirring viewers' legitimate emotions as well as their interest in the Civil War.

Toplin also asks that we see The Civil War, in three principal ways, as reflective of late-twentieth-century America. He makes the sensible observation that just as historians have been influenced by their times, so has Burns. By showing the darker side of war, Burns clearly has more in common with the directors of Born on the Fourth of July and Glory than with those of John Wayne's movies. Surely he is a product of the Vietnam War era. Second, by depicting the horrors of slavery and regarding the moral dimension of slavery as the fundamental cause of the war, Burns reveals his sympathy for the modern civil rights movement and the ongoing efforts to achieve racial equality in America.
H-Net Reviews

Like many other historians I take the middle road with the understanding that Burns is a film maker first and a historian second which means he has strong social and political opinions that through doubt on his ability to be unbiased.

Note that this is not a defense of Frump, it's an admonition to take celebrity's, all celebrity's political commentary on politics and politicians with at least a grain of salt.

Like many other historians I take the middle road with the understanding that Burns is a film maker first and a historian second which means he has strong social and political opinions that through doubt on his ability to be unbiased.

Just "judge" (if you can) Burns statement about Trump, without judging his film-making. Go on, try it.

perhaps the most salient point that Burns makes is summarized in this article's excerpt.

Roy Cohn, the lurking legal hit man for red-baiting Sen. Joe McCarthy, whose reign of televised intimidation in the 1950s has become synonymous with demagoguery, fear-mongering and character assassination. In the formative years of Donald Trump’s career, when he went from a rich kid working for his real estate-developing father to a top-line dealmaker in his own right, Cohn was one of the most powerful influences and helpful contacts in Trump’s life.

The LibTards are really stretching and reaching for material now, aren't they?

Dinner AND a show...

I'm sure he'll be backed up by somebody really important, like Flo, the insurance girl...
75_75.gif

Dinner AND a show...

I'm sure he'll be backed up by somebody really important, like Flo, the insurance girl...
75_75.gif
Gnat said salient.....ooooooo

Ken Burns' documentaries are notable for their lack of depth. He also loves to use non period music for them which bugs the heck out of me.

Just "judge" (if you can) Burns statement about Trump, without judging his film-making. Go on, try it.
You have your take, he has his, I have mine, everyone has theirs, all are influence to some degree by each individual's own bias. I case you missed my obvious inference I'm not judging his film-making I'm questioning his built in bias. Take an honest look at what I meant, go on, try it........

Dinner AND a show...

I'm sure he'll be backed up by somebody really important, like Flo, the insurance girl..

You had a lot of fun with Bill Ayers and Obama didn't you?......Well Cohn (may the devil torture his soul) was much worse. Enjoy!

Gnat said salient.....ooooooo

Yes, "salient" ...meaning striking and evident, was a term often used by Aristotle....and BTW, Aristotle is not the guy down your block who sells you slightly used condoms.

You have your take, he has his, I have mine, everyone has theirs, all are influence to some degree by each individual's own bias. I case you missed my obvious inference I'm not judging his film-making I'm questioning his built in bias. Take an honest look at what I meant, go on, try it........

Well, I like a historian like Ken Burns while you like a historian like Sean Hannity....Go figure.

Well, I like a historian like Ken Burns while you like a historian like Sean Hannity....Go figure.
And you're an assumptive idiot but we already knew that. :thup:

One thing about Ken Burns is that he developed a look that he liked when he was a teenager and never dropped it.

His statement reeks of psychological projection.

Forum List

Back