A Muslim Brit nails it again on the New Zealand attack

Gawd, I'm good.
I am trying to have an honest dialogue here.
You are? What I see you doing is tossing out multiple straw man arguments, whining and trying to put me on the defensive.

This is why I have given up trying to "debate" here, but you kept complaining so much I thought I'd show you some attention.
There is no straw man. I am simply asking for clarification so we can continue this discussion.
And on this topic, I'm fascinated to find out why supposed "liberals" have chosen to align themselves with the most illiberal, authoritarian religion on the planet.

I'd love to talk about that, if you'd be willing to offer some ideas.
Why do you feel threatened by me asking you to clarify in what way you see the left as being in agreement with militant Islam?
You say there is no straw man, then you say I feel threatened.

Same post.

You people literally can't help yourselves. Another example of my point.
You said I was putting you on the defensive!!!!!

Why would feel that way if you didn't feel threatened?
Post after post complaining about me. All the way through this thread. You just can't stop.

I laid out my point in post 544. And I want to know why the Left behaves this way.

The thread is not about me. Address my point, or I'll just give up trying here.

Gawd, I'm good.
I am trying to have an honest dialogue here.
You are? What I see you doing is tossing out multiple straw man arguments, whining and trying to put me on the defensive.

This is why I have given up trying to "debate" here, but you kept complaining so much I thought I'd show you some attention.
There is no straw man. I am simply asking for clarification so we can continue this discussion.
And on this topic, I'm fascinated to find out why supposed "liberals" have chosen to align themselves with the most illiberal, authoritarian religion on the planet.

I'd love to talk about that, if you'd be willing to offer some ideas.
Why do you feel threatened by me asking you to clarify in what way you see the left as being in agreement with militant Islam?
You say there is no straw man, then you say I feel threatened.

Same post.

You people literally can't help yourselves. Another example of my point.
You said I was putting you on the defensive!!!!!

Why would feel that way if you didn't feel threatened?
Post after post complaining about me. All the way through this thread. You just can't stop.

I laid out my point in post 544. And I want to know why the Left behaves this way.

The thread is not about me. Address my point, or I'll just give up trying here.

Mac, when it's not about you, you make it about you.

The Regressives have spent all their energy on this thread attacking the messenger(s).

Which only solidifies my opinions. All I have to do is sit back and watch.

Yes, all you have to do is pretend you didn't see any of the substantive arguments made by people... and declare victory.

Let's hope we never get you and Trump in the same Zip Code, your competing egos would take out the power grid.

Mac is locked into the third ideology--he can "see both sides" and therefore calls down curses on both sides while sitting on his high and mighty mountain in Switzerland, believing he is more evolved that the rest of us, who cannot see both sides. Apparently.

It's funny.

Naw, Mac is another Islamophobic Twat, just like you are, trying to dress his racism and bigotry in a nice suit and pretend it's not a pig.

Okay, I'm out. Mac thinks this whole thread is about him and if it's not about him....well. It might have been a good topic but, it won't. Mac, I actually think you could be a good conversationalist if you could stop making every topic about how everyone wants to be obsessed with how fair and even you are and how everyone is lesser than you are. But oh well.

I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

The New Zealand Mosque Massacre Blame Game Is Out of Control

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

Being able to see both sides doesn't mean you can't have an opinion.
I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.

Mac is locked into the third ideology--he can "see both sides" and therefore calls down curses on both sides while sitting on his high and mighty mountain in Switzerland, believing he is more evolved that the rest of us, who cannot see both sides. Apparently.

It's funny.
And now, here it comes from the Right.

I do love it when the first line of my sig is illustrated so vividly.

You're very juvenile in your approach. You're like one of my first grade students who says to another "Don't look at me!" but as soon as someone does, just for speaking, says, "Made you look, made you look!!!"

This is repellent even to first graders, by the way.

You're wrong about quite a bit.

Not this however.

I quote Maajid Nawaz regularly here. He is the liberal Muslim Brit who coined the term "Regressive Left", horrified by the way many on the Left make a bad situation worse by coddling the worst elements of Islam in the West. Mr. Nawaz can see both sides of this issue. I know being able to see both sides of an issue is not considered a good thing here.

He risks his life every day, pushing for reform of his beloved religion. He was assaulted, again, just the other day (I suspect he'll be attacked here, too - that's how they operate). Here's his take on the predictable madness that has followed the New Zealand attack.

LONDON—The anti-Muslim terrorist attack at two mosques in New Zealand marked perhaps the lowest point for Muslim communities in the West since the Bosnia genocide. It has left no doubt that far-right extremism is on the march once more.

But the sheer human tragedy of this attack against my Muslim communities has not deterred extremists from those other two ends of our political spectrum, the far left and the theocratic Islamists, from seeking to exploit it for their own nefarious purposes.

So it is with no surprise that I noticed, a mere day after 50 of my fellow Muslims were so publicly and tragically killed, while the blood was still wet and the bodies remained unburied, that the ideologues had circled like vultures. Opportunistic Islamist and far-left extremists began calling for a purge of people whose politics they disagree with, and started publishing McCarthyite lists of personae non grata to target. Few have come under fiercer assault than my friend and collaborator in dialogue, Sam Harris. The following spectacle has been incredibly unedifying.

Of course, inflammatory anti-Muslim language must be condemned by us all, and many anti-Muslim provocateurs should take a hard look at themselves after New Zealand, just as we must condemn inflammatory Islamist and far-left language. That is different, though, from trying to silence an entire policy concern like Western foreign policy or opposing immigration and critiquing Islam respectively. Only the extremists wish to shut down debate. And so it is crucial that we do not respond to far-right extremism in such a way that we inadvertently empower extremists from other ends of the political spectrum. Terrorists prefer the bullet to the ballot. Let us not become pawns in their game.

I don't like seeing anyone attacking innocent Muslims....but I also cannot handle the whining Muslims who feel they were personally attacked when they live 8000 miles away from the attack, and try to use this typically Islamic martyrdom complex to claim the right to attack others.

It's funny.
And now, here it comes from the Right.

I do love it when the first line of my sig is illustrated so vividly.

You're very juvenile in your approach. You're like one of my first grade students who says to another "Don't look at me!" but as soon as someone does, just for speaking, says, "Made you look, made you look!!!"

This is repellent even to first graders, by the way.

You're wrong about quite a bit.

Not this however.

Thank you.

When I am factually wrong, and I am proven wrong, I admit it. I do not understand--honestly--people who will not. I don't understand what is wrong with being factually wrong. Why that is such a shameful thing. But then, I have hung around elementary children for years and years--you take on the characteristics of them over time. They are exceedingly honest, so there's that. And they make mistakes. So there's that too.

Let's see if we can pull the thread back from the children who want to derail it.

When discussing this issue, Mr. Nawaz draws a distinction between Islam and "Islamism" thusly:
islamism-is-not-islam-islamism-is-the-politicisation-of-islam-the-desire-to-impose-a-version-of-this-ancient-faith-over-society-279667.jpg

Mr. Nawaz advocates that all religions clean their own house, which requires some difficult soul-searching that we don't see much today:
maajid-nawaz-like-alcoholics-we-muslims-blame-everyone-else-for-10031673.png

Let's see if we can pull the thread back from the children who want to derail it.

When discussing this issue, Mr. Nawaz draws a distinction between Islam and "Islamism" thusly:

Then we aren't talking about reforming a religion, we are talking about a political movement. I don't disagree with that one bit.

The question is, why is a political movement in a country we don't live in any of our business?

Mr. Nawaz advocates that all religions clean their own house, which requires some difficult soul-searching that we don't see much today:

Yes, he's a sad little self-loathing Muslim looking for a rub on the head from white people. What's your point.

Nawaz is an idiot and a liar.

Whenever he (or anyone else) talks about "Muslims" (... do this or do not do that), he is lying to you. But, you found some nice memes that do your thinking for you so that you don't have to do it on your own.

There is no such thing as a homogeneous "Muslims", there is no such thing as (one) "Islam", and anyone who raises the impression it were otherwise is lying to you. But you like these lies, particularly so if they confirm the "anti-liberal, illiberal" label you throw out like candy and the stereotyping simplicity you peddle, therefore you promulgate them. It's what you do.

Whenever he (or anyone else) talks about "Muslims" (... do this or do not do that), he is lying to you. But, you found some nice memes that do your thinking for you so that you don't have to do it on your own.

There is no such thing as a homogeneous "Muslims", there is no such thing as (one) "Islam", and anyone who raises the impression it were otherwise is lying to you. But you like these lies, particularly so if they confirm the "anti-liberal, illiberal" label you throw out like candy and the stereotyping simplicity you peddle, therefore you promulgate them. It's what you do.

I think you are wasting your breathe on Stormy Mac.

He's an Islamophobe who just doesn't want to admit it, because it conflict with his liberal self-view. So a guy like Nawaz is a godsend. Kind of like how Uncle Toms like Ben Carson telling white folks how shiftless the other Negroes are a godsend to right wing racists.

If there are politically radical Muslims in the ME, it's because WE'VE created them! 50 years of ham-fisted foreign and economic policies. Endless war. Strip searching any poor fool named Mohammed at the airport.

"Gee, I don't know why that guy became a Jihadi!"

"Um, because you scooped him up off the Street, sent him to Gitmo and Waterboarded him!"

“There is no such thing as a homogeneous "Muslims", there is no such thing as (one) "Islam", and anyone who raises the impression it were otherwise is lying to you.”

Because why? Because you said? Your opinion is fact over a guy who has at least BEEN there all because you say so? What makes you, some dude on the internet more factually correct then the Muslim?

He's an Islamophobe who just doesn't want to admit it, because it conflict with his liberal self-view. So a guy like Nawaz is a godsend. Kind of like how Uncle Toms like Ben Carson telling white folks how shiftless the other Negroes are a godsend to right wing racists.

If there are politically radical Muslims in the ME, it's because WE'VE created them! 50 years of ham-fisted foreign and economic policies. Endless war. Strip searching any poor fool named Mohammed at the airport.

"Um, because you scooped him up off the Street, sent him to Gitmo and Waterboarded him!"

To be honest, I don't know whether he is an islamophobe or not, and I am not sure I care. That's just another label, and it doesn't really capture what Mac is trying to do. Which is, basically, to place his own good self as far above the fray as possible, and spit in all directions. "Muslims" and Nawaz are just vehicles serving that aim.

Were it any differently he'd know that Islam isn't organized like, say, the Catholic church, around a rigidly enforced doctrine, and that the phrase "reform Islam" doesn't make all that much sense. What would be required is political movements in predominantly Muslim societies, developing civil societies, severing ties between offices of the respective states and the clergy (as, I think, you have already pointed out). Given our history with these Muslim states / societies, any and all Western meddling will be seen as malign interference (with ample historical justification), discredit any and all political movements with "Western" ties or promoting "Western" aims, and therefore deleterious to the exact objective Nawaz / Mac profess to further.

Given all that, any typing would be wasted on Mac. Others, those willing to listen and learn, might still derive some benefit, even while Mac proceeds to "solidify" his boneheaded prejudices. He always does.

It's funny.
He's really not sitting on the fence. He's a Ted Cruz guy. #1 he's anti-Trump. Everything else unfolds from that. He doesn't like Trump, but he can't stomach what the left is doing to Trump and to this country.

Lol
Political correctness has made you a pussy

It's funny.
He's really not sitting on the fence. He's a Ted Cruz guy. #1 he's anti-Trump. Everything else unfolds from that. He doesn't like Trump, but he can't stomach what the left is doing to Trump and to this country.
I'm a "Ted Cruz" guy? Dafuq?

No. In fact, the only way I was going to vote for Hillary was if either Cruz or Trump got the nomination. Otherwise I would have voted third party.

I look at Ted Cruz as the Nancy Pelosi of the GOP: Phony as hell and uncomfortable in his own skin.

Forum List

Back