A not-so-Grand Bargain

oldfart

Older than dirt
Nov 5, 2009
Redneck Riviera
The smart money says the political standoff will get resolved this weekend along certain lines.
This would involve a deal that would not alter the BCA next sequester round due about January 15, would provide a CR through about the same date, and raise the debt ceiling at least through January 15; folding all three negotiations into one. As lots of folks (called citizens) are disgusted with the process, there will be an effort to design a process to resolve all three issues well before February and have just one last showdown. The Republicans will probably get one or two face-saving items, possibly a one year delay on the tax on medical devices, either in the Senate bill (where the negotiation will take place) or reserved for Boehner to add in the House.

There is a possibility of a more expansive deal short of a Grand Bargain (there simply is no time to do the GB by Friday), and while I wouldn't bet very much on it emerging, it would be better than simply kicking the can down the road. It would have one or more of the following features:

1. On the table would be a law declaring the debt limit to be whatever Treasury deems necessary, taking Congress out of the loop. Exercising both the Article I authorities of determining the budget (revenue and spending) and a borrowing power, which have become inconsistent, is clearly beyond Congress. Happily it does not require a constitutional amendment, just a law, for Congress to declare that when it appropriates money and sets the tax laws, that automatically sets a debt ceiling to be computed by Treasury/CBO. This would be a big win for the administration, solves a real problem, and gets rid of "hostage-taking" (in the default sense, but not the shutdown sense) permanently. Obviously the Republicans would want something pretty substantial in exchange for this and the Tea Party types would not go along.

2. Sequestration and budget mechanisms would once again be aligned so there was one budget and not two. This would be a minor win for the administration and a major win for common sense. The Tea Party again would not go along, but they have already decided to oppose anything that keeps the government running anyway. Traditional conservatives of both parties should be indifferent to the change of process.

3. Congress could agree to eliminate the need for continuing resolutions by statute by automatically taking a percentage (97%?) of the prior year appropriations with very narrow exclusions (courts, law enforcement, investigatory bodies such as Inspectors-General, statistical operations, and disbursement processing) as the amounts to be budgeted until a regular budget is approved. Again, a big one for the administration, et cet op cit.

Now the problem is what could be offered to get one or more of these concessions? Thinking outside the box, I would go for a constitutional "fiscal responsibility" amendment that would limit tax revenues and spending as a percentage of "full-employment" GDP (23%?) in times of peace and require a Congressional "super-majority" to exceed those limits. This sows the seeds for some really nasty future situations, but I don't think those scenarios work well with our current law anyway.

I cringe as I say it, but this should be coupled with another commission and super-committee to tweak entitlement programs, overhaul the tax code, and possibly reform the budget process. I see no way of allaying the fears of some that this would be just empty promises, but that is going to have to be acceptable. There is absolutely no way they can obtain a better guarantee regarding tax reform or entitlement reform.

A group of conservatives have instigated a constitutional crisis and I think that a constitutional solution is in order. The alternative for them is to lose all of the issues for a generation and let Maoist guerrillas write the next tax code, destroying the Republican Party in the process. If you hold out for everything, you risk getting nothing. And nothing except their own political destruction is what they will get if they burn the house down without obeying the First Rule of Arson (map a way out before lighting the match). That's not politics, that's reality and if you live in an alternate reality you get to subsist on alternative reality starvation.

They're playing this event like a cheap black and white bad drama film from the 1940's. Shut up and plant one here on the kisser.

Well, assuming they don't raise the debt, I don't see any option BUT to first pay the debt interest, then the military pay, and then everybody not only takes a haircut but checks come out irregularly. I wish they'd make a deal, but I'll ask again ... suppose they just kick the and past Thanksgiving or into 2014, what will prevent Cruz, Lee and the House TPM from simply doing it over? I don't think they're over defunding Obamacare and threatening a default.

I'd lose every gain I maid in the markets and then some. Oldsters would be hurt. Possibly some would die. But when people hold hostages ... you tell them to shoot the hostages and die, or put the gun down.

Well, assuming they don't raise the debt, I don't see any option BUT to first pay the debt interest, then the military pay, and then everybody not only takes a haircut but checks come out irregularly. I wish they'd make a deal, but I'll ask again ... suppose they just kick the and past Thanksgiving or into 2014, what will prevent Cruz, Lee and the House TPM from simply doing it over? I don't think they're over defunding Obamacare and threatening a default.

I'd lose every gain I maid in the markets and then some. Oldsters would be hurt. Possibly some would die. But when people hold hostages ... you tell them to shoot the hostages and die, or put the gun down.

I think that come Friday the administration has basically two options:

1. Claim that under the mandate to "see that the laws are faithfully executed" the president and Treasury (with or without specific reference to the Fourteenth Amendment) has the duty to determine the amount and timing of disbursements, OR

2. Bail by not paying anything until there is sufficient cash on hand to fund a day's obligations, pay all of that day's obligations and continue accumulating the future obligations. This is a default position, and the one I think Treasury has been hinting at.

Either way there will absolutely be a slew of lawsuits, which unless the Supreme Court really wants to get into the middle will not ripen before the next elections. There will also be bills of impeachment against the president and Secretary of the Treasury at a minimum. This is an exercise in futility, as a conviction on such a bill will fail to get the required 67 Senate votes. Even if successful, it would make Biden president. So Congress ill have to swallow whatever Obama wants to do.

The outcome of this constitutional crisis will therefore be either a negotiated settlement basically on Obama's terms, or the administration deciding who gets paid and when on rules it is (within pretty broad limits) free to make up as it sees fit. Not exactly what either the Tea Party or conservatives of both parties had in mind; but, hey, they are the folks who decided to make it a constitutional crisis. In effect, we will have a permanent shift in the balance of political power in this country, a real revolution. It's inevitable. By attacking the institution of the executive branch in order to get rid of Obama, the bitter enders have forced Obama out of his accommodation mode and made the geldng of Congressional authority a near inevitability, regardless of what the 2014 election results are.

The best hope for Republicans to save their party would be to string out the resolution until after the next election, but they apparently have no mechanism left to do this. If it's an all-or-nothing game, they have already lost and will lose everything effective the date they give Obama the authority to pick and choose what disbursements to make. That day is probably Monday.

I think they have to pay the interest first and in full. 1) To not do so would render the dollar ... worthless. An Argentina default. 2) The TPM idiots in congress continue to say ..."oh no big deal." The reality is we can't pay the interest, the salaries of soldiers and cops, and social security and food stamps and student loans ..... There will be pain. I don't think morally Obama can decide between soc sec and other stuff. And, politically, cutting checks to the old white fools who elected these demigods and charlatans will deliver a message called reality.

They will agree....the market will bounce....Sirius will go to 4.30...I will pocket 25k....merry Christmas ...and screw the rest of ya...

Forum List

Back