A PTSD Victim and “It's a Wonderful Life”

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I know that there were many Hollywood actors who served in WWII, Korea, and certainly Vietnam. But what do we know of their lives after serving and what affect did PTSD have on their performances? This story is one of these we need to share with the tens of thousands who have suffered this agonizing illness. Here's something about Jimmy Stewart very few know:

There's a scene in the movie where he questions his sanity and he's got this wild look about him. That's one scene that really struck me, watching it on the big screen. And the other scene that always made me uncomfortable, but now means so much more to me, is when he's in his living room and he's throwing things and screaming at his kids — and his wife and children look at him like, “Who is this man? Who is this monster?” And that is so reflective of what millions of families faced, looking at these strangers who came back from the war with this rage. Stewart played it beautifully. He just lets it out.

The full story with more videos @ Here’s How Two Veterans with PTSD Have Forever Shaped the Holidays in America

Jimmy Stewart was a war hero, but his character in that movie did not fight in the war.

Jimmy Stewart was a war hero, but his character in that movie did not fight in the war.

It was what the character had to portray that was difficult for Stewart because of his PTSD.
Stewart was thinking of giving up acting when Barrymore straightened him out with his question about bombing people rather than entertaining them. We didn't understand PTSD and alcoholism thus became a huge problem

Forum List

Back