A question for liberals: Washington State MW=$11 an hour, Texas MW=$7.25 an hour ..

What is the point of the OP? If both states are already paying workers $12/hr, there's no basis for people in those states to complain about the federal minimum wage being increased to $12/hr.

Well, seems to me that in that case, those states don't NEED the federal minimum wage to be increased to $12/hr.

On the other hand, the federal minimum wage applies to more than just those two states.
I know the distinction is subtle, but it's important. If anyone needs a minimum wage, it's workers not institutions and entities.

On the other hand, the federal minimum wage applies to more than just those two states.

Be that as it may, if one is to believe the example the OP-er presented accurately depicts the behavior of most employers in the two states he mentioned, it stands to reason that those employers have no basis for complaining about a $12 minimum wage. Who in their right mind complains about being required to do that which they are already predisposed to do and are indeed doing.

If people, organizations and entities in other states want to complain and present a case for not raising the minimum wage to $12, fine, but no such line of discussion appears in the OP,.which, if anything, makes a better case for a $12 minimum wage than it does for anything else.

Totally totally disagree. This is exactly what I called cherry picking.
Name me an enterprise or any businesses that reduced hours because of MW increased? Not just blanketly -------- $11/hour x 40 hours = $440 $12/hour x 36 hours = $432
1. Again the reduction or increase of hour depends on ----------- demands --------- Which has been the nature of businesses since the beginning of dawn--------- but using that as excuse because of MW hike is totally false.
I will use McDonald's as example---------- If a McDonald's has 10 employees all working on first shift 8 hours-------- they will cut it 6 hours. Is McDonald's shut down the store for the 2 hours gap or they will bring in the second shift 2 hours earlier? ----------- Then cut the second shift 2 hours ---------- then bring the third shift 2 hours earlier---------- Then close McDonald's 2 hours early? Or Olive Garden normally closed at 10 pm then close it at 8 pm? How is that even possible?

2. Prices go up employment goes down--------- Again that depends on the nature of business---------- but using that as an excuse because of MW hike is totally false. Name me a company that did this because of MW hike.
To make up the difference is just increase the price of french fries to 15 cents. BUT they DO NOT ------- DO NOT increase the price of french fries from $1.25 to ridiculous $4.00 -------- which is what the economist or W. post or Forbes are trying to imply.
I increase my prices from manufacturer -------- list ----------- distributors prices every year but I do not increase my prices that reduces my ability to compete.
Most or ALL of my post are based from real life, specifics, facts and honesty. I do rely on economist most of the time but there are times that I totally totally disagree. If the *OPINION* repeat *OPINION* of a reporter from Washington Post, Forbes or the economist is anti MW ------------- then that is what you got. All of them are saying the same thing ------------ They make it sound that the MW increase from whatever-------- to $15/hour overnight. And prices like french fries go up from my example $1.25 to $4.00 per bag.

So the economists hired by the city are all lying?

But beyond that, you are saying stuff here that is not just 'possible' but normal. This happens all the time.

But you want a specific answer, McDonalds. This is actually an absolutely perfect example, because I actually lived this. I worked at McDonald's in 1996 when the minimum wage went from $4.25 to $5.15. (phased in over 2 years).

So I can tell you exactly how this worked when I was there. We had 3 part time people that worked there. They fired all of them, and replaced them with one single full time person.

Now as you can mathematically grasp, 3 people working 30 hours, is 90 hours a week. 1 person working 40, is significantly less hours.

So how did they deal with that? The rest of us that were still employed.... simply had to do more work. We had a guy that would empty all the trash cans, and mop the floors, and clean the bathrooms. Now we had to do that in additional to our regular duties. We had another guy that would clean all the trays, and do cleaning on the grills and fry cookers. Now we had to do those things, in addition to our normal duties.

By the way, another thing we did was eliminate the 1 AM close. We started closing at 10 PM instead of staying open till 1 AM. Late night shifts when the number of customers is predictably small, become less profitable real fast when you increase labor costs. So it doesn't surprise me in retrospect that the store quit staying open late when the minimum wage went up.

I increase my prices from manufacturer -------- list ----------- distributors prices every year but I do not increase my prices that reduces my ability to compete.

Two things:

Your inability to compete in this specific case, is mitigated by the fact that all your competitors are facing the same problem.

If only McDonald's was being forced to pay higher wages, and all the other stores were not... then yes, competition would keep the price inflation in check. (of course it would likely push McDonald's out of business in those areas).

But a minimum wage law, forces up wages on ALL the stores. Thus, McDonald's can safely jack up their prices, because Wendy's, Burger King, Subway.... all the stores are also dealing with the same wage hike, and thus all are going to be pushing the same price hike.

If ALL your competitors were raising prices, would you be nearly as hesitant to raise your own? Of course the answer is no.

Second, if you were faced with going out of business, as some stores are, your trying to stay competitive really doesn't matter much.

Lastly, what I posted before, and I posted now, is not "opinion". It's fact. The post before was fact based analysis of labor data. The post this time was fact based reality which I lived through.

1. He always says people are lying no matter what links you use

That is incorrect Bear------ I have the experience to counter act economist or news media. Just because it came from reputable news media or economist that doesn't mean they are right. They do make mistakes. I know what is fact, real and bullshit.

Yeah.... they can be wrong. True. But in this case, this is something shown to be true across countries, and ages.

There are dozens of similar research that all show the exact same thing.

In this specific case... the BS is what you are saying here. That's all there is to it.

I haven't called you bulshit or insult your inexperienced post. Since you started it. Prove to me where they are right.

This is Bear favorite topic, post this twice a year at least --------- then along the line ignorant like you come up ---------- suddenly become an expert of MW then using only ONE McDonald's experience as your reference. You don't know shit.

I already have. I personally lived through the results of raising the minimum wage. So did the people of Greece. They kept raising the minimum wage, and the employment went down year over year. Employment didn't start to rebound until the year they cut their minimum wage.

What's really funny is in Sweden they Transportation Union is pushing to establish a minimum wage. If you don't know it, Sweden has no minimum wage, at all. So the Unions are pushing for a minimum wage now. Why? Because immigrants are taking their jobs, and working for a lower wage. They don't want them to have their jobs, so they want a minimum wage specifically to prevent jobs to immigrants.

It's funny how everyone else on the face of the Earth knows the effects of the minimum wage.... but you. And those like you.

Swedish Transport Union: minimum wage could stop social dumping — Nordic Labour Journal

What is the point of the OP? If both states are already paying workers $12/hr, there's no basis for people in those states to complain about the federal minimum wage being increased to $12/hr.

Seattle isn't a state. The minimum wage only applies to the city. Which is why low-wage workers are being forced out.

The point of the post is that without a minimum wage hike, wages are floating on supply and demand, just as every economically literate person understands.

The theory that employers will not pay the value of the labor, without a minimum wage law forcing them to, is wrong.

The theory that without the minimum wage everyone will be poor and impoverished, and with the minimum wage everyone will be making great money, is wrong.

Why would anyone complain if they are already paid more than the minimum wage? Because who the heck are you to demand anything of anyone else? Who the heck do you think you are dictating how others live their lives? You left-wingers are all the same. So self important, thinking we should all be happy with you controlling every aspect of life.

And lastly, of course not everyone is making $12 an hour. No all labor is worth $12 an hour. We have a tiny, one person bakery down the road from here. By one person, I mean literally it's one girl, sitting at a cash register, watching TV and doing her homework from high school. You demand she make $15/hour, and she won't have a job. They are not going to pay someone to do homework and watch TV most of the day.

And this is the problem with you pointing to Seattle. The effects we said would happen, are in fact happening.
The research shows this, the evidence confirms it,

The way you people deny it, is by pointing at a the general economy. Well of course the vast majority of work force makes way more than the minimum wage. We wouldn't expect CEOs of Seattle companies to be unemployed because the minimum wage went up. We wouldn't expect that accountants and welders to be laid off from a higher minimum wage.

What we would expect is that those on the lowest income scale, though few in number, would have adverse effects. Effects that simply because of the limited numbers, wouldn't show up much in the general economy. And that is exactly what we see.

But here is where the total corruption and narcissism of the left-wing shows through. You people don't give a crap about the poor people, the low-wage people. All you care about is pushing through your destructive laws, and feeling good about yourself, no matter how many people you harm.

And this thread is proof. We've shown the evidence in dozens of posts now. All you do is say "Yeah but Seattle isn't a smoking ruins, so it's good!". You don't care about the truth. Just admit it. As long as you get what you want, and feel good about yourself, it doesn't matter how many people are harmed.

The minimum wage only applies to the city. Which is why low-wage workers are being forced out.
Really? Because last time I looked, $12/hour is a low wage, but, sure, there are lower wages.

Depends on where you live. I know people that lived in places where $12/hour was a goal to be achieved. The alternative was much lower or unemployed.

I know it's crazy to you people that live in your leftist elite wealth bubble, but there are many many places where getting a job is very difficult, and $12/hour feeds a family.

So the economists hired by the city are all lying?

But beyond that, you are saying stuff here that is not just 'possible' but normal. This happens all the time.

But you want a specific answer, McDonalds. This is actually an absolutely perfect example, because I actually lived this. I worked at McDonald's in 1996 when the minimum wage went from $4.25 to $5.15. (phased in over 2 years).

So I can tell you exactly how this worked when I was there. We had 3 part time people that worked there. They fired all of them, and replaced them with one single full time person.

Now as you can mathematically grasp, 3 people working 30 hours, is 90 hours a week. 1 person working 40, is significantly less hours.

So how did they deal with that? The rest of us that were still employed.... simply had to do more work. We had a guy that would empty all the trash cans, and mop the floors, and clean the bathrooms. Now we had to do that in additional to our regular duties. We had another guy that would clean all the trays, and do cleaning on the grills and fry cookers. Now we had to do those things, in addition to our normal duties.

By the way, another thing we did was eliminate the 1 AM close. We started closing at 10 PM instead of staying open till 1 AM. Late night shifts when the number of customers is predictably small, become less profitable real fast when you increase labor costs. So it doesn't surprise me in retrospect that the store quit staying open late when the minimum wage went up.

Two things:

Your inability to compete in this specific case, is mitigated by the fact that all your competitors are facing the same problem.

If only McDonald's was being forced to pay higher wages, and all the other stores were not... then yes, competition would keep the price inflation in check. (of course it would likely push McDonald's out of business in those areas).

But a minimum wage law, forces up wages on ALL the stores. Thus, McDonald's can safely jack up their prices, because Wendy's, Burger King, Subway.... all the stores are also dealing with the same wage hike, and thus all are going to be pushing the same price hike.

If ALL your competitors were raising prices, would you be nearly as hesitant to raise your own? Of course the answer is no.

Second, if you were faced with going out of business, as some stores are, your trying to stay competitive really doesn't matter much.

Lastly, what I posted before, and I posted now, is not "opinion". It's fact. The post before was fact based analysis of labor data. The post this time was fact based reality which I lived through.

1. He always says people are lying no matter what links you use

That is incorrect Bear------ I have the experience to counter act economist or news media. Just because it came from reputable news media or economist that doesn't mean they are right. They do make mistakes. I know what is fact, real and bullshit.

Yeah.... they can be wrong. True. But in this case, this is something shown to be true across countries, and ages.

There are dozens of similar research that all show the exact same thing.

In this specific case... the BS is what you are saying here. That's all there is to it.

I haven't called you bulshit or insult your inexperienced post. Since you started it. Prove to me where they are right.

This is Bear favorite topic, post this twice a year at least --------- then along the line ignorant like you come up ---------- suddenly become an expert of MW then using only ONE McDonald's experience as your reference. You don't know shit.

I already have. I personally lived through the results of raising the minimum wage. So did the people of Greece. They kept raising the minimum wage, and the employment went down year over year. Employment didn't start to rebound until the year they cut their minimum wage.

What's really funny is in Sweden they Transportation Union is pushing to establish a minimum wage. If you don't know it, Sweden has no minimum wage, at all. So the Unions are pushing for a minimum wage now. Why? Because immigrants are taking their jobs, and working for a lower wage. They don't want them to have their jobs, so they want a minimum wage specifically to prevent jobs to immigrants.

It's funny how everyone else on the face of the Earth knows the effects of the minimum wage.... but you. And those like you.

Swedish Transport Union: minimum wage could stop social dumping — Nordic Labour Journal

Me? That's funny------ There are millions and millions like me who just don't agree------ what you read and published by the media or anybody. If I have to believe everything what is published. Then I will be lying to myself especially this is what I do for a living.
ALL your post and links are anti-minimum wage.
You keep deflecting ---------- So let me repeat it again. Did they submit a scientific study how they came up with those statements? Did they? Where? All I'm asking is simply prove it. Obviously you, economist and media -------- have zero evidence that hiking MW is a bad idea.

I know tons of business owners which comes with the territory -------- 101% don't like the mandate MW hike--------- But I have not seen or heard ------- that they are losing money or cutting hours. NONE -------- NOBODY.

Seattle isn't a state. The minimum wage only applies to the city. Which is why low-wage workers are being forced out.

The point of the post is that without a minimum wage hike, wages are floating on supply and demand, just as every economically literate person understands.

The theory that employers will not pay the value of the labor, without a minimum wage law forcing them to, is wrong.

The theory that without the minimum wage everyone will be poor and impoverished, and with the minimum wage everyone will be making great money, is wrong.

Why would anyone complain if they are already paid more than the minimum wage? Because who the heck are you to demand anything of anyone else? Who the heck do you think you are dictating how others live their lives? You left-wingers are all the same. So self important, thinking we should all be happy with you controlling every aspect of life.

And lastly, of course not everyone is making $12 an hour. No all labor is worth $12 an hour. We have a tiny, one person bakery down the road from here. By one person, I mean literally it's one girl, sitting at a cash register, watching TV and doing her homework from high school. You demand she make $15/hour, and she won't have a job. They are not going to pay someone to do homework and watch TV most of the day.

And this is the problem with you pointing to Seattle. The effects we said would happen, are in fact happening.

The way you people deny it, is by pointing at a the general economy. Well of course the vast majority of work force makes way more than the minimum wage. We wouldn't expect CEOs of Seattle companies to be unemployed because the minimum wage went up. We wouldn't expect that accountants and welders to be laid off from a higher minimum wage.

What we would expect is that those on the lowest income scale, though few in number, would have adverse effects. Effects that simply because of the limited numbers, wouldn't show up much in the general economy. And that is exactly what we see.

But here is where the total corruption and narcissism of the left-wing shows through. You people don't give a crap about the poor people, the low-wage people. All you care about is pushing through your destructive laws, and feeling good about yourself, no matter how many people you harm.

And this thread is proof. We've shown the evidence in dozens of posts now. All you do is say "Yeah but Seattle isn't a smoking ruins, so it's good!". You don't care about the truth. Just admit it. As long as you get what you want, and feel good about yourself, it doesn't matter how many people are harmed.

I debunked your McDonald's experience laying off 3 then hired 1 full time employee but no rebuttal.
AGAIN ---- here you posted a girl making $15/hour doing her homework behind the counter. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? Since when a business owner or a manager will let that happen? Posting that kind of scenario proves you are inexperience in economic/business 101.

YOU POSTED ABOVE --------- And this is a problem with you pointing Seattle. The effect we said would happen are in fact happening. The research shows, evidence confirms it --------------- What in the world are you talking about idiot? What do you think is happening in Seattle? I've asked you repeatedly ------- for evidence and research. So far you have NOT supply anything but keep you babbling your own opinion.
We deny it by pointing the general economy? So show me a state or a city the adverse effect of the MW hike. The picture I posted $11.50/hour was from here Southern Ca.
This thread did not prove anything ---------- if there is------- show me the evidence.

In socialist societies/country's small business is not owned by anyone but the government… Fact

Andy this is a continuation from post #247 and #258. I did not say the economist are lying. I can tell you that they are wrong.

You, economist, W. Post and Forbes are telling me that --------- the MW hike was a big mistakes, that companies are cutting hours, companies are losing money ------- bc of MW hike. So I'm simply asking you ------- PROVE IT---------What and where companies or any establishment that are cutting hours and losing money. NOT just simply making anti MW hike comments that companies are cutting hours and losing money.
If a company or McDonald's making money for years or decades -------- they will just simply change the way they make money cut hours because of a very tiny labor increase? Business doesn't work that way.
If a McDonald's has 30 employees working at a given day------- cut hours by closing early ------------- Closing McDonald's will take 3, 4 or 5 employees at the most---------- How much money do you think are they saving? Deduct $2 from each of the 5 employees -------- That is $10-------- to help you out make it $50 ---------- Is that make sense to you at all?
AGAIN-------- businesses cut or increase hours because of products demand. Businesses that cut hours because of business are down or they are in trouble to begin with.
Actually i know couple of people that owns McDonald's franchises since the 80s. Your example of 3 part time replaced with 1 full time employee. Just doesn't make sense. ---------- To begin with who ever made your staffing is a very poor or inexperienced manager------- Why make or wait to make change bc of MW hike? So---------- this one employee will cover 3 part time employees jobs like manning 3 cashiers at the same time? Then YOU and other guys have to cover and help out cleaning, moping, cleaning grills etc. ------ Is that mean you and other guys have a slack hours just willy nilly leave your spot simply sitting there waiting for someone that need help? That is called ridiculously over staffing.
Your closing hours change from 1 pm to 10pm ------- again-------- Why wait for the MW hike to save money? If business operations doesn't make sense to close at 1am ------ Why even bother to close at 1am to start with? Since when a McDonald's will close at 1am when there are only few customers coming at 11pm or 12am?

It's VERY WRONG to say businesses close earlier because of MW hike---------- Business close ONLY at a given schedule based from when they are making money. NOT bc of a minute MW hike. Oh! I will alter the way I make money because im saving $30 tonight so I'm closing early from now on. Like Olive Garden normally close at 10 pm ------- is that mean they will close at 9 pm to save $30 but then losing a bunch of customers? Is this make sense to you at all?

I increase my prices from manufacturer------- list ------- to distributors prices every year. All my competitors are doing the same thing to catch up like shipping, materials and other changes. That is the nature of our business but we rarely use the MW as an excuse of slow, stagnant or good profitable year.
Are menus the same last year or the year before they increased the MW? No they are not ------- it always goes up even before the MW hike and never goes down. Prices changes all the time not just MW hike.
Just bc your economist and news media says it's bad that doesn't mean they are right-------- If they are right then give me *REAL EXACT EXAMPLES* ------- Why do you think they are right? Not just giving an anti MW hike statements. Then prove to me where I'm wrong.
Did they publish a scientific or investigated data how they came up with those statements?

My friend is having a hard time finding workers so he posted this sign $11.50/hour to start to 3 of his McDonald's stores. It doesn't look like they are losing money, they haven't cut hours and they always close their stores at 10 pm but never on 1am.
View attachment 122682

They do not even need to run a query------ they can just simply plug in the percentage across the board how much they can increase to make for the maggot MW hike. Then they add more cents on top of that.

No rebuttal?

Minimum wage is just a game that lefties play in order to make it appear like they care enough to earn the vote, while in reality, they couldn't care less.

335c634e-9c1c-4ca8-be2f-e65ca04be327_zpsvl0xhqkf.jpg

Why should anything less be rewarded, no, strongly encouraged!

Hmmmmmmm......................... LOL Yes, Washington state has the 12th highest average wage in the US, Texas has the 25th. Are people in Texas just less intelligent, or are they pussies that won't press for good wages?

No, they're just smarter than you.

Seattle, Washington ranks 12th in the cost of living index at 90.54.

Dallas, Texas ranks 114th in that same index at 70.20.
Seattle%20Dallas_zps5ddnbgel.jpg

America: Cost of Living Index by City 2017

Plus, the weather is far milder in Texas and, if you like, you can move further South and enjoy the Gulf of Mexico.

Does the sun ever shine up there or is it too cold to notice?

It appears OldRocks has run for cover. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY!

I debunked your McDonald's experience laying off 3 then hired 1 full time employee but no rebuttal.
AGAIN ---- here you posted a girl making $15/hour doing her homework behind the counter. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? Since when a business owner or a manager will let that happen? Posting that kind of scenario proves you are inexperience in economic/business 101.

YOU POSTED ABOVE --------- And this is a problem with you pointing Seattle. The effect we said would happen are in fact happening. The research shows, evidence confirms it --------------- What in the world are you talking about idiot? What do you think is happening in Seattle? I've asked you repeatedly ------- for evidence and research. So far you have NOT supply anything but keep you babbling your own opinion.
We deny it by pointing the general economy? So show me a state or a city the adverse effect of the MW hike. The picture I posted $11.50/hour was from here Southern Ca.
This thread did not prove anything ---------- if there is------- show me the evidence.

I knew the girl personally. We were friends. I'm not making anything.

And I didn't say she was making $15 an hour. I said she was making $8. And that if they made the minimum wage $15, she wouldn't have that job.

You have not rebutted anything. Heck you can barely read my posts and respond coherently.

I already did post you examples of the adverse effect of the MW hike. Including my own personal experience.

You are simply too dumb to be in this discussion.

So why the fuck does both places pay warehouse workers $12 bucks an hour?

I thought it was supposed to be more in a pro union state high minimum wage state?

It appears that a Right to work state low minimum wage state like Texas employers are less greedy by paying $4.75 more then minimum wage, while in Washington State they only pay $1 dollar more then minimum wage...

I thought according to liberals a rising tide rises all boats?

Warehouse Positions - 2nd Shift, $11 - $12/hr

Warehouse Positions - 2nd Shift, $11 - $12/hr (Fort Worth) hide this posting
00T0T_iaqOozFWF85_600x450.jpg

compensation: Minimum of $11.00 per hour
employment type: full-time

To be considered for employment, you must complete an online employment application (www.ttiinc.com).

**NO PHONE CALLS**

**RESUMES NOT ACCEPTED - MUST COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION**

TTI, Inc., has been a leading specialty distributor of electronic components for over 40 years. We currently have multiple openings in our climate controlled, fast paced distribution centers.

Minimum starting wage is $11.00 per hour (Additional shift premium for 2nd shift of .65 cents per hour. 2nd shift begins at 12:00 p.m.)

Pay increases at 90 and 360 days during the first year

Temperature Controlled Environment

Background & Drug Test required

High School Diploma or GED required

Recent warehouse experience preferred

Specific openings and shift/pay rates are listed on the website

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER

GENERAL WAREHOUSE WORKER (TACOMA) hide this posting
compensation: $12.00
employment type: full-time

General Warehouse Worker
Codel Entry Systems is looking for a General Warehouse Worker able to work various departments in a fast paced environment. Candidate must be eager and willing to work long hours if needed.
Job Duties
• Multiple warehouse related jobs such as Delivery Driver, machining doors and door frames, glazing doors, putting inventory away, loading trucks, Paint, Stain, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
• Must be familiar with hand tools, power tools, and MUST be able to read a tape measure
• Must be able to lift 75-100 lbs repeatedly
• Previous door shop experience desired, but not required
• Must have dependable transportation
• MUST be able to pass a drug test before being hired

Starting Wage $12.00/hr
Quality of life. Washington State has a Space Needle, Texas doesn't.

They have the tower of the America's.

Washington does not.
Local taxes pay for local infrastructure; who is paying more in taxes?

Higher taxes means more federal government waste 100% of the time… Fqct

Higher taxes means more federal government waste 100% of the time… Fqct
The right wing having nothing but repeal instead of better solutions at lower cost, means more government waste one hundred percent of the time; fact.

Yep about all large cities have public trans taxes, and TX is getting big on toll roads and bridges, our gas here is 2.15 for regular. They built a highway flyover connecting two free roads in the Woodlands, TX and it is tolled.

Texans for Toll Free Highways Heavily Reform Toll Roads by legislation or litigation! Sign the Petition.

The legislature is considering a buy out plan, I hope it passes, but I won't hold my breath.
EVERYWHERE has high state and local taxes and fees to make up for lower fed aid, all to save the greedy idiot GOP rich from paying their fair share the last 35 years. The GOP just LOVES dividing us up, here about states. Wake up!

What ever you say dupe.
Talk about missing the forest for the trees...Toll roads ALSO screw the nonrich while the greedy idiot GOP rich laugh all the way to the bank. Vote GOP. IDIOT.
You mean like the toll-happy, super-liberal northeast?

EVERYWHERE has high state and local taxes and fees to make up for lower fed aid, all to save the greedy idiot GOP rich from paying their fair share the last 35 years. The GOP just LOVES dividing us up, here about states. Wake up!

What ever you say dupe.
Talk about missing the forest for the trees...Toll roads ALSO screw the nonrich while the greedy idiot GOP rich laugh all the way to the bank. Vote GOP. IDIOT.
You mean like the toll-happy, super-liberal northeast?
No. I mean private toll roads being built in red state swamps by GOP cronies. ANYWAY, ALL OF THE ABOVE are caused by pander to the rich GOP federal tax rates...

Last edited:
Alaska does know how to fairly pay people....something the 7.25 states haven't figured out. it's a great sign when companies aren't filling openings because that means those jobs aren't worth applying for.

You won't like it, but that result is the unaltered process of free market labor at work. Alaska went $9.25/h in 2015, it didn't even make the news, despite our heavy republican base because no one up here gets paid under $10 (and hasn't in ages.) The businesses up here know damn well they've got to suck it up and pay higher wages if they want employees. Lower 48, especially southern lower 48 has a glut of employees so the wages are low. Supply and demand.
Of course, the cost of living in Alaska is high...

Alaska does know how to fairly pay people....something the 7.25 states haven't figured out. it's a great sign when companies aren't filling openings because that means those jobs aren't worth applying for.

You won't like it, but that result is the unaltered process of free market labor at work. Alaska went $9.25/h in 2015, it didn't even make the news, despite our heavy republican base because no one up here gets paid under $10 (and hasn't in ages.) The businesses up here know damn well they've got to suck it up and pay higher wages if they want employees. Lower 48, especially southern lower 48 has a glut of employees so the wages are low. Supply and demand.
Of course, the cost of living in Alaska is high...

We were listed as the 4th most expensive as of 2015. UPS turning us into one of their major hubs has brought down prices a lot and they're still falling. Becoming a global air transport hub because of that has driven it down even further. UPS's example and major renovations to our airport, have made air cargo a viable alternative to barges; which were the standard up here. Driving through a foreign nation with cargo, in nasty weather on a single highway that requires one to drive roughly 400 miles northwest to Fairbanks, just so that you can drive 600 miles south southeast to get into Anchorage, the big city, is basically non-profitable in addition to being potentially lethal in the winter and a major production at the borders.

I had made the same claim a while back and went into a minor frenzy of research because I don't like being proven wrong. Those reports always list the "average electric bill cost," problem is that "average" they figure out for Alaska includes a HUGE majority of rural native villages that have no "shared" power grids so they are prohibitive. South central where Anchorage is, and up the high way to Fairbanks are on a major grid that has numerous inputs integrated during the process of its expansion; we have power plants, wind farms, hydro, etc on our grid. The electric bill on this 4 bedroom, 2,500 sqft, 2 car attached, plus oversized 2 car detached garages runs between $400 summer and $600 in the winter - and we have three major computer users here; as in when just my son and I went on vacation for 10 days the electric bill dropped $50...

There are also some other "cost saving" perks that seem to get overlooked in a lot of the surveys as well. For example, every year the state pays us a dividend that can range from 800 to 3000 dollars depending on the prior five year average profit we make on oil. We have no state income tax and Anchorage doesn't have a sales tax. There's also a host of other small things no one ever really thinks of, like we don't have to pay for emissions tests on our cars, water is practically free, no air conditioning in the summer [even if you want it, you can't even buy one up here and no one can install one, I tried.]

Right now in one of the nicer areas of Anchorage you can get a 3br apartment with all utils (including cable TV) but electric for $1000. I've just started renting a 3bedroom 2car house for $655/mo, I have to pay utils, but I don't know what they'll work out to yet.

Forum List

Back