A suggested rule of thumb. Any county with single digit deaths can re-open commerce, not leisure activities.

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Rural counties should be allowed to re-open sooner because they have almost no cases of the virus. Besides being more sparsely populated, they also have no public transportation. How about commerce isn't shut down in a county until someone actually dies of the virus or you have at least 50 verified infections in the county?

Here is a list of some of the counties in rural Minnesota. The first number is confirmed cases, the second number is deaths, and the third is recoveries. Why do counties like this with extremely low population densities, virtually no public transportation, and almost no cases of the virus need to destroy their economies? Why does a county with 3 cases and 0 deaths need to remain shutdown for six months?

1587504641858.png

Arbitrary rules are often counterproductive. In the case of my county it would fuck us up. Tourist destinations are especially vulnerable. If thousands of people piled in here from infected areas our little 25 bed hospital would not be able to handle it at all. We have to ship all our serious medical emergencies to bigger hospitals 80 miles away.

How do you stop people from moving between counties?

You don't need to. You only open businesses in specific counties. The counties with tiny death totals are typically 100 miles or more away from major metropolitan areas and can not be reached by subway. If people are willing to get in their car and drive 100 miles in order to eat a hamburger in a restaurant located in a rural county, let them.

How do you stop people from moving between counties?

Why would you want to stop people from moving between a county with 0 and another county with 0?
I live in Albuquerque, and I have a mountain cabin 70 miles west, and what I do is simply bring 14 days of food with me.
That way I do not need to go into town until I have passed the 14 day quarantine period.
There is no reason for government to get involved.
Government does not do these things better, but worse.
Imagine is you have police road blocks checking papers?
That is almost guaranteed to greatly spread the virus.

I was driving thru Illinois and the fishing areas and boat launches along the rock river were closed "under criminal penalty" for crossing the unmanned barricades. WTF?

I was driving thru Illinois and the fishing areas and boat launches along the rock river were closed "under criminal penalty" for crossing the unmanned barricades. WTF?

No place safer than on the water.
Never seen boats able to get too close together.

What is the most bizarre is that actually the lock down causes more deaths.
The ONLY solution to an epidemic is herd immunity.
Social distancing does not stop an epidemic, but just slows down getting herd immunity.
And in the long run, the more you slow it down, the more deaths you have in total.
It is better to just get it over with as quickly as possible, as long as you do not over load the hospitals.

No place safer than on the water.
Never seen boats able to get too close together.
That was my thinking as well...and fishermen aren't setting up right on to of each other... you need room for your line to run.

Sunshine and fresh air are good for everyone. It was crazy.

Forum List

Back