A Swagger Announcement

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
To avoid any confusion (or panic), you are all hereby notified that I've changed my avatar for the day in honour of one of Britain's most courageous brigades: the Black & Tans. These brave men, recruited directly from the trenches of northern France, were instrumental in countering the fenian menace in Ireland during the '20s. Selfless bravery combined with ruthless determination were all that we had in the face of such a treacherous cancer.

I myself did four tours of N. Ireland during The Troubles and consider these men an inspiration.

Here is an enlarged image of what I'll be carrying in my avatar:

books090111_01.jpg

Bloody Sunday (1920)

RIC officers, supported by members of the Auxiliary Division, opened fire on the crowd at a Gaelic football match in Croke Park, killing fourteen civilians. That evening, three IRA suspects in Dublin Castle were beaten and killed by their captors, allegedly while trying to escape.

Overall, while its events cost relatively few lives, Bloody Sunday was considered a great victory for the IRA, as Collins's operation severely damaged British intelligence while the later reprisals did no real damage to the guerrillas but increased support for the IRA at home and abroad

The British Government formed paramilitary forces to augment the RIC, the "Black and Tans" and were known for their brutality and violence, not just towards IRA suspects and prisoners but their racist/sectarian attitude towards Irish people in general.

Up the IRA!!!

lol how funny one of my old running buddies....kingbilly....was a guest of the queen for over a year....if you are gonna toss petro bombs....once should wear a balaclava

no one believes your shit...surely this does not come as a shock to you

Ah, yes, the bizarre notion that I'm some sort of troll, when I'm obviously not. If you don't think you're going to like what I write and the opinions I express, then don't read them. You might consider the Tans to be controversial (you wouldn't be the first, or last), but to many of us they were heroes doing a difficult job in the face of enormous, self-perpetuating hostility.

i just saw the troubles from a different pov.....but what i am saying......you have the ring of truth here...and i wanted to say that...

i just saw the troubles from a different pov.....but what i am saying......you have the ring of truth here...and i wanted to say that...

The "ring of truth" about what?

And the Tans had nothing to do with The Troubles. That period began in 1968 when the governor of N. Ireland requested troops to back up the Royal Ulster Constabulary (R.U.C), which the Micks, for some reason, took to be an invasion.

Ignore all the subversive, pro-IRA claptrap in this video. Here's some footage of those brave men.

Bloody Sunday (1920)

RIC officers, supported by members of the Auxiliary Division, opened fire on the crowd at a Gaelic football match in Croke Park, killing fourteen civilians. That evening, three IRA suspects in Dublin Castle were beaten and killed by their captors, allegedly while trying to escape.

Overall, while its events cost relatively few lives, Bloody Sunday was considered a great victory for the IRA, as Collins's operation severely damaged British intelligence while the later reprisals did no real damage to the guerrillas but increased support for the IRA at home and abroad

The British Government formed paramilitary forces to augment the RIC, the "Black and Tans" and were known for their brutality and violence, not just towards IRA suspects and prisoners but their racist/sectarian attitude towards Irish people in general.

Up the IRA!!!

^ that

thank you for setting the record straight guno

Bloody Sunday (1920)

Up the IRA!!!

^ that

thank you for setting the record straight guno

What Guno failed to mention, however, is that the shooting at Croke Park was in retaliation for the murder of the Cairo Gang, who were British agents tasked with infiltrating the IRA.

Forum List

Back