Let's talk about the oft repeated phrase "a threat to democracy" we believe trump presents.

Then what are you worried about? The grand jury won't even be called if you are correct about the lack of evidence.

That's why the OP that started this whole thread makes no sense.
Worried?

Stop projecting.

and the calling of a Grand Jury by itself is not evidence of anything.

There are rules (which we all know MAGA is often allergic to).

Then what are you worried about? The grand jury won't even be called if you are correct about the lack of evidence.

That's why the OP that started this whole thread makes no sense.

Trump Administration:

Justice Dept. Investigated Clinton Foundation Until Trump’s Final Days​

President Donald J. Trump and his allies tried to cast the Clinton Foundation as corrupt. But the yearslong investigation sputtered to its conclusion without charges.

Worried?

Stop projecting.

and the calling of a Grand Jury by itself is not evidence of anything.

There are rules (which we all know MAGA is often allergic to).
Yes, those rules will insure that there is no retribution.

If you're not worried, then you don't think Trump is a threat to democracy?

Or do you think he's a threat for reasons other than the OP's?

Yes, those rules will insure that there is no retribution.

If you're not worried, then you don't think Trump is a threat to democracy?

Or do you think he's a threat for reasons other than the OP's?
Trump used government to go after opponents out of spite and retribution.

Trump Administration:

Justice Dept. Investigated Clinton Foundation Until Trump’s Final Days​

President Donald J. Trump and his allies tried to cast the Clinton Foundation as corrupt. But the yearslong investigation sputtered to its conclusion without charges.

Ok, so the Clinton foundation was investigated and not enough evidence was found to warrant even calling a Grand Jury.

How is that a threat to democracy?

We spend so much time talking past each other I thought it might be useful to be more exacting in reference to what is meant by that phrase. It is most frequently used in the context of what another trump presidency may bring. Based in part on certain remarks he's made about retribution against his perceived enemies. And on the disavowed document, Project 2025, laying out a blueprint for what another term portends.

The thing is, we don't have to speculate about whether a threat will materialize..........it already has. I should say at this point I'm reluctant to illustrate what I mean because I know what kind of reaction it will elicit. But the point of the post is to be specific, not vague, so here goes.

On 4 January, the conservative lawyer John Eastman was summoned to the Oval Office to meet Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence. Within 48 hours, Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election would formally be certified by Congress, sealing Trump’s fate and removing him from the White House.
Tucker Carlson condemned over ‘false flag’ claim about deadly Capitol attack
The atmosphere in the room was tense. The then US president was “fired up” to make what amounted to a last-ditch effort to overturn the election results and snatch a second term in office in the most powerful job on Earth.

Eastman, who had a decades-long reputation as a prominent conservative law professor, had already prepared a two-page memo in which he had outlined an incendiary scenario under which Pence, presiding over the joint session of Congress that was to be convened on 6 January, effectively overrides the votes of millions of Americans in seven states that Biden had won, then “gavels President Trump as re-elected”.

The Eastman memo, first revealed by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa in their book Peril, goes on to predict “howls” of protest from Democrats. The theory was that Pence, acting as the “ultimate arbiter” of the process, would then send the matter to the House of Representatives which, following an arcane rule that says that where no candidate has reached the necessary majority each state will have one vote, also decides to turn the world upside down and hand the election to the losing candidate, Donald Trump.

Here's a link to the Eastman memo. https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2021/images/09/20/eastman.memo.pdf

I'm hoping not to get bogged down by folks who will not accept this meeting actually did take place. If you can't accept that it did this would be a good jumping off point for you.

Moving on, we come to the matter of Jeffrey Clark. You may or may not recall trump wanted to name him acting AG in order to use the influence of the DoJ to pursue baseless claims of massive voter fraud, specifically in GA. When some of the top DoJ officials heard of trump's desire they threatened to quit en masse if he promoted Clark.

Read the Unsent Letter by Jeffrey Clark to Georgia Officials

Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who worked closely with President Donald J. Trump and his allies to undo the election, wanted to send a letter to state officials in Georgia that falsely claimed that the Justice Department had “identified significant concerns” that would affect the state’s election results.

Former DOJ officials detail threatening to resign en masse in meeting with Trump

Finally, we come to trump's participation in the fake elector scheme.

Comprehensive Timeline on False Electors Scheme in 2020 Presidential Election

Overwhelming documentary and testimonial evidence proves beyond any doubt these things I've outlined happened. All of which with one goal in mind. To create a scenario leading to trump remaining in power.

I do not pretend to speak for anyone but myself when I say this is what is meant when I contend trump is a threat to democracy. He has already threatened it. There is every reason to believe he will threaten it again. Especially after the recent rulings of his SCOTUS.

Ultimately, I'm asking trump supporters to examine the record I've laid out. The demonstrable evidence shows trump and his cohorts tried to change the outcome of a presidential election. I can think of few greater threats to democracy than that. They say past is prologue, hence my (our) concern.
Why have you abandoned your own thread, and are allowing Crusty Sock to take up your case?

Trump attempted to persuade Mike Pence to discard the electoral votes of 6 states. Let's assume you're right and that's all perfectly legal.

Isn't that still a threat to democracy?
Nope. It IS democracy. One man, one vote.

What good are our votes if someone like Trump comes along and says that the electors chosen by the voters don't count.
That isn't what he said. He knew there was improprieties and wanted it investigated. One man one vote, that IS democracy.

That isn't what he said. He knew there was improprieties and wanted it investigated. One man one vote, that IS democracy.
But it is what he was doing. The Eastman Memo, something that Trump embraced, asked Pence to throw out the electoral votes of 6 states that voted for Biden. It wasn't about an investigation, it was about changing the results.

For Trump's full term. Even before Trump was saying he would lock up Clinton. Shows he tried very hard.
The Biden administration did not try very hard to lock up Trump?

Are you saying that anyone that Trump doesn't like is then above the law?

Nothing happened to the Clintons or to their foundation. Except for losing nearly all their donors after Hillary lost.

I have no idea what issue you are speaking about.

You are becoming a joke.

Law enforcement killed someone who shot President Trump.
Killing people is against the law.

What charges do you want to see brought against this killer of this young person?

The Biden administration did not try very hard to lock up Trump?

Are you saying that anyone that Trump doesn't like is then above the law?

Nothing happened to the Clintons or to their foundation. Except for losing nearly all their donors after Hillary lost.
The Biden administration is not after Trump. Trump is in trouble over his own actions before and after he entered politics after attacking Obama. Trump the birther and the 2020 loser.

Anyone Trump doesn't like? Ask them about Trump.

5 stages Trump WH staff employ 2.jpg

The Biden administration is not after Trump. Trump is in trouble over his own actions before and after he entered politics after attacking Obama. Trump the birther and the 2020 loser.
The Trump administration will not be after Joe Biden. But, if he is suspected of violating federal law, the DOJ will investigate. If they have sufficient evidence, they will put it before a grand jury.

Should the Biden family be above the law?

Anyone Trump doesn't like? Ask them about Trump.

View attachment 980555
Yes, many people do not like Trump.

But the DOJ only investigates when there is evidence of crimes.

If there is none for the Biden family, they have nothing to worry about.

Still not seeing how any of that is a "threat to democracy." Can you explain it, or not?

The Trump administration will not be after Joe Biden. But, if he is suspected of violating federal law, the DOJ will investigate. If they have sufficient evidence, they will put it before a grand jury.

Should the Biden family be above the law?

Yes, many people do not like Trump.

But the DOJ only investigates when there is evidence of crimes.

If there is none for the Biden family, they have nothing to worry about.

Still not seeing how any of that is a "threat to democracy." Can you explain it, or not?
Trump is a threat to our democratic institutions. He is a threat to the republic. see: Jan 6

Forum List

Back