A woman shatters the bicycle land speed record 183 mph!!!

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Damn .....

Shattering the Bike Land Speed Record at 183.9MPH Looks Weirdly Chill

On Sunday, the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah were witness to yet another land speed record being shattered. Extreme cyclist Denise Mueller-Korenek hopped on her two-wheeled ride, and with the assistance of a streamlined pace vehicle, hit an average speed of 183.932 miles per hour over a distance of three-and-a-half miles.

The bike that Mueller-Korenek rode to shatter the previous land speed record of 167MPH wasn’t your typical off-the-rack Schwinn. It featured 17-inch motorcycle rims and high-speed tires to help lower its center of gravity; a custom, hand-made elongated frame to improve stability; short-travel shocks to help dissipate high-speed vibrations; and a steering stabilizer to minimize wobble, which could potentially be deadly at these speeds.

Yeah, the previous record was only (only) 167 mph, and she has shattered that record.

Me? I used to race bicycles in my 20's and 30's, and know what kind of skill it takes to ride at high speeds. Fastest I've ever gotten up to? 66 mph on a road bike.

Interesting thing happens at around 60 mph............the wheels start up with a harmonic vibration with the road, and you get speed shakes, but when you pass 62 mph, they suddenly go away and it is smooth as glass from then on. Coming back down under 62, they reappear, and then fade again below 60.

I was riding a TREK 2100 carbon fiber/aluminum frame with Mavic deep dish aero rims. Now? I'm riding a Lemond Zurich with Campagnolo C Record ergo power gruppo with Mavic deep dish aero rims, Speedplay pedals, Modolo handlebars and a Selle Italia titanium seat.

Now that is what you call "peddling the wheels off it!"

Wow. Kudos.

We used to draft behind busses,vans and semis all the the time.
It's amazing how easy it is to cruise at 55 + ,it's one of the few times you get to ride the tall gears.

I know, every time I had to stop at a light or something, I would check the traffic around me to see if there was anything worth drafting off of.

I remember one afternoon, while stationed at Cecil Field FL, I was coming out of the base gate, and as luck would have it, I was behind a garbage truck (lots of wind blocking area on those things). Well, I threw it into the large chainring, and got in behind him. Was doing 53 mph for around 2 1/2 miles before the truck turned off, and that was one of the fastest times I ever had for going home (10 mile commute).

Well, the next morning, I showed up at the squadron, and there was the CMC (Command Master Chief, head enlisted of the command), standing outside of his office. He looked at me and said "Murph, can I see you in my office a minuite"?

I immediately started going over all the stuff that I'd been doing lately, wondering if I'd done something wrong. I told him sure, and sat down at his desk and asked what was up.

He then asked................."How in the FUCK do you push that damn thing so fast?" I asked what he was talking about, and he said that he was behind me while I was drafting the garbage truck, and he said that I was rocking down the road at 53 mph, and he wanted to know how the hell I did it.

My response? "Practice and a really good bike".

Another time, I was stationed in Millington, and that commute had a really nice long hill, which I would use to practice going at high speeds. One day on the way to work, I noticed that I was closing in on a car. When I got close, the kids in the back were yelling and pointing at me. By that time, I'd gotten alongside the front passenger door, and the mother looked, shook her husbands shoulder, and just stared at me. The husband looked at me on the bicycle, looked down at his speedometer, looked back at me with HUGE eyes, back at the speedo, and then sped up and left me behind. Laughed my ass off the rest of the ride in.

Best part of being stationed in Millington? Roads were flat, and the speed limit was 30 mph, and I could hit 35 to 40 on a decent day, so I would go flying past the cops at 35 to 40, get them to pull me over, and then palm my computer (the thing that tells speed, distance, etc). When they asked if I knew how fast I was going, I'd say no. They would then tell me how fast they clocked me at, but then would let me off with a warning because they didn't believe a bicycle could move that fast.

Good times.................

It's amazing how easy it is to cruise at 55 + ,it's one of the few times you get to ride the tall gears.

I know, every time I had to stop at a light or something, I would check the traffic around me to see if there was anything worth drafting off of.

I remember one afternoon, while stationed at Cecil Field FL, I was coming out of the base gate, and as luck would have it, I was behind a garbage truck (lots of wind blocking area on those things). Well, I threw it into the large chainring, and got in behind him. Was doing 53 mph for around 2 1/2 miles before the truck turned off, and that was one of the fastest times I ever had for going home (10 mile commute).

Well, the next morning, I showed up at the squadron, and there was the CMC (Command Master Chief, head enlisted of the command), standing outside of his office. He looked at me and said "Murph, can I see you in my office a minuite"?

I immediately started going over all the stuff that I'd been doing lately, wondering if I'd done something wrong. I told him sure, and sat down at his desk and asked what was up.

He then asked................."How in the FUCK do you push that damn thing so fast?" I asked what he was talking about, and he said that he was behind me while I was drafting the garbage truck, and he said that I was rocking down the road at 53 mph, and he wanted to know how the hell I did it.

Another time, I was stationed in Millington, and that commute had a really nice long hill, which I would use to practice going at high speeds. One day on the way to work, I noticed that I was closing in on a car. When I got close, the kids in the back were yelling and pointing at me. By that time, I'd gotten alongside the front passenger door, and the mother looked, shook her husbands shoulder, and just stared at me. The husband looked at me on the bicycle, looked down at his speedometer, looked back at me with HUGE eyes, back at the speedo, and then sped up and left me behind. Laughed my ass off the rest of the ride in.

Best part of being stationed in Millington? Roads were flat, and the speed limit was 30 mph, and I could hit 35 to 40 on a decent day, so I would go flying past the cops at 35 to 40, get them to pull me over, and then palm my computer (the thing that tells speed, distance, etc). When they asked if I knew how fast I was going, I'd say no. They would then tell me how fast they clocked me at, but then would let me off with a warning because they didn't believe a bicycle could move that fast.

Good story's I remember that one movie....

Good story's I remember that one movie....

Actually, the whole reason I got into bicycling was because I'd separated from my wife, and she took the car, leaving me with my motorcycle. When the motorbike broke down, didn't have the 500 bucks to fix it, so I went and bought a 300 dollar bicycle instead and started to commute back and forth to work.

A year or two after that, I noticed I was pretty fast, and I could cover long distances with not much trouble, so I decided to see if I could ride from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL when I transferred. When I succeeded at that, I decided to live on a bicycle and did so for the next 8 or 10 years.

And, when you don't have a car, you know if a woman is interested in you for you or not. A lot of women would say they would like to date me, but when I told them they would have to pick me up, they would ask why, and I would say that I don't have a car, just a bicycle.

Weeded out all the women who were looking for someone to take care of them really quick, and the women that did date me were dating me because they liked me, not because of what I had.

Yeesh, while drafting behind a car one time the driver slowed down to tell me I was doing 48 mph. I thought that was outrageous. I wasn't even aware of the previous record and would have thought that was impossible. Absolutely friggin incredible!

Did you know that traveling at 18 mph on a bicycle, you are pushing 1,000 lbs of air out of your way every minute you are riding at that speed?

And, increasing speed, increases the amount of wind exponentially.

Damn .....

On Sunday, the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah were witness to yet another land speed record being shattered. Extreme cyclist Denise Mueller-Korenek hopped on her two-wheeled ride, and with the assistance of a streamlined pace vehicle, hit an average speed of 183.932 miles per hour over a distance of three-and-a-half miles.

The bike that Mueller-Korenek rode to shatter the previous land speed record of 167MPH wasn’t your typical off-the-rack Schwinn. It featured 17-inch motorcycle rims and high-speed tires to help lower its center of gravity; a custom, hand-made elongated frame to improve stability; short-travel shocks to help dissipate high-speed vibrations; and a steering stabilizer to minimize wobble, which could potentially be deadly at these speeds.
Well here’s hoping she’s never a Darwin Award candidate.

Damn .....

It does not seem humanly possible! Makes that table top jump I pulled off at thirteen seem pretty minor.

Damn .....

Did you read about how much preparation and specialized equipment she had?

No. She won't be a Darwin Award candidate any time soon. She thinks about and plans for what she does.

Damn .....

No. She won't be a Darwin Award candidate any time soon. She thinks about and plans for what she does.
So does NASA.

Damn .....

So does NASA.

Are you calling astronauts Darwin Award candidates?

I don't think you understand what Darwin Awards are for.

Damn .....

So does NASA.

Are you calling astronauts Darwin Award candidates?

I don't think you understand what Darwin Awards are for.
Not at all. Simply responded to your notion that thinking and planning ensures success.

Forum List

Back