A world with no religion, how different woud the world be?

Fortunately, the question is pointless. How else would ancient mankind have answered the questions that have been asked for so many milennia since we first walked the Earth. Why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. Having nothing else to turn to, they developed spirituality and religion. Which for most people then and now meant an afterlife that reunited us with our loved ones.
Oh, the questions of why am I here, what's the meaning of life, why do bad things happen, etc. have been answered by religion ? Please enlighten us. Philosophy yes. But religion??

'Please enlighten us?' Try a little harder not to be a wiseass. It could be that your definition of religion is a bit too narrow, although there does seem to be some disagreement over what the definition of "religion" actually is. Maybe there is some overlap into philosophy.

Most of the questions I posed were answered by early man as the dispositions by the Gods, hence religion. There were no physical or natural answers to such questions, so primitive mankind created supernatural ones. Whether any of those answers were correct is up for debate then and now, but religion did explain a lot. From Wikipedia:

Religion is any cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, world views, texts, sanctified places, ethics, or organizations, that relate humanity to the supernatural or transcendental. Religions relate humanity to what anthropologist Clifford Geertz has referred to as a cosmic "order of existence". However, there is no scholarly consensus over what precisely constitutes a religion.
Religions have sacred histories and narratives, which may be preserved in sacred scriptures, and symbols and holy places, that aim mostly to give a meaning to life. Religions may contain symbolic stories, which are sometimes said by followers to be true, that have the side purpose of explaining the origin of life, the Universe and other things.

There would be about 1/20 of the population in the world. We caught a glimpse of it in the past century when all the 'humanists' killed roughly 110 million in power struggles.
What??!! What the fuck??:confused-84::confused-84::confused-84:
That's okay. Have someone explain it to you.

You're the one who posted it, how about you explain what the eff you'e talking about. Specifically what 'humanists' are you referring to that killed about 110 million people? To me a humanist is a person who has a strong interest in or concern for human welfare,values, and dignity (dictionary.com). What's your definition?

Last edited:
There would be about 1/20 of the population in the world. We caught a glimpse of it in the past century when all the 'humanists' killed roughly 110 million in power struggles.

You're the one who posted it, how about you explain what the eff you'e talking about. Specifically what 'humanists' are you referring to that killed about 110 million people? To me a humanist is a person who has a strong interest in or concern for human welfare,values, and dignity (dictionary.com). What's your definition?
A humanist denies the existance of a deity, like the Communists in Russia, China, Cambodia and everywhere that this 'religious deniers' gained power.

The problem in the world is not religion. It is the 'humanists'.

This will be the last time I explain common knowledge to someone like you.

The dumb fuck who posted it needs to explain it.
No, I don't. Stupid ***** like you need to be better educated.

Some people need it.

I disagree that it is about need. It is about philosophy. The basis of that philosophy is that there is something greater than self, something (such as behavior) is also greater than self. There is this sense within us that there is something more. It is not so much a need of God, as people have this sense of something greater. Selfishness makes a great deal of sense and is very attractive--yet somehow selflessness is recognized as something greater. Why can't we all agree that, based on logic, things are better? That whoever dies with the most things, wins? What is this desire for a life well lived?

This is what philosophy strives to explain while science concentrates on physical things and measurements.

A humanist denies the existance of a deity, like the Communists in Russia, China, Cambodia and everywhere that this 'religious deniers' gained power.

The problem in the world is not religion. It is the 'humanists'.

This will be the last time I explain common knowledge to someone like you.

I doubt that many people would classify Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, Mussolini and others as humanists. You are correct about one thing though, the problem in this world is not religion, other than extremists who have perverted their own religious beliefs. I do not think humanists as I understand the term are a source of violence and power struggles. Such people as Stalin and the rest may have claimed to be using a humanistic approach for their own ends, saying they're only doing what needs to be done to protect the people and provide for their welfare. Which is BS, what is happening in NK and Venezuela among other places is definitely not humanism. The Holocaust sure wasn't.

Say religion never came about, and there was no such thing of religion. How different would the world be as of today?
Humans have a deep desire to worship something greater than themselves, to believe there is some master plan, that good works are rewarded and evil is punished. Religious beliefs are inevitable.

Some people need it.

I disagree that it is about need. It is about philosophy. The basis of that philosophy is that there is something greater than self, something (such as behavior) is also greater than self. There is this sense within us that there is something more. It is not so much a need of God, as people have this sense of something greater. Selfishness makes a great deal of sense and is very attractive--yet somehow selflessness is recognized as something greater. Why can't we all agree that, based on logic, things are better? That whoever dies with the most things, wins? What is this desire for a life well lived?

This is what philosophy strives to explain while science concentrates on physical things and measurements.

Imo some people need it.

Say religion never came about, and there was no such thing of religion. How different would the world be as of today?
I doubt it would be so very different. We seem to need religion so if we didn't have one we'd just invent one. It would start as a cult, more likely many cults, based on the charisma of the leader. Successful cults would evolve into religions. We just can't seem to help ourselves.
Ok say religion came about many, many years later then when religion originally came about, would the rebirth of Christ still be a significant piece of religious history?
What about the changes of human civilization and culture? Both, civilization and culture have drastically changed through out time. What if religion came about later in life during a more advanced civilization then the civilization at the time religion originated in?
Would there still be the same religious groups?
Do you think, if religion came about later in time in a more advanced civilization, would there be major changes or do you think it would be neutral and there wouldn't be to many major changes in the way life lives todays?
How different would religion and culture be if it came about at a later time in life?
Would we still believe in a heaven and hell?
Would there still be good and evil?
Just few things to think about.
It really takes a lot of faith to believe that everything is just a random occurrence and something was created by no one out of nothing. Most people don't have that much faith. If there were no religion, they would create one.

Imo some people need it.

Would you say some people, or the average person?

Some people need religion.
Some people need religion.

the natural world personifies their religion where most of humanity looks to others to find it ... some people are obviously lost or easily manipulated, if the religion they need were only a true religion readymade than what they end up with that would certainly change things no doubt.

I doubt it would be so very different. We seem to need religion so if we didn't have one we'd just invent one. It would start as a cult, more likely many cults, based on the charisma of the leader. Successful cults would evolve into religions. We just can't seem to help ourselves.
Ok say religion came about many, many years later then when religion originally came about, would the rebirth of Christ still be a significant piece of religious history?
What about the changes of human civilization and culture? Both, civilization and culture have drastically changed through out time. What if religion came about later in life during a more advanced civilization then the civilization at the time religion originated in?
Would there still be the same religious groups?
Do you think, if religion came about later in time in a more advanced civilization, would there be major changes or do you think it would be neutral and there wouldn't be to many major changes in the way life lives todays?
How different would religion and culture be if it came about at a later time in life?
Would we still believe in a heaven and hell?
Would there still be good and evil?
Just few things to think about.
It really takes a lot of faith to believe that everything is just a random occurrence and something was created by no one out of nothing. Most people don't have that much faith. If there were no religion, they would create one.
Most of the Atheists I have met worship themselves.

Forum List

Back