Aaron Osmond, Utah State Senator, Calls For End To Mandatory Education

A Republican state senator in Utah is calling for the end of mandatory education in the state.

State Sen. Aaron Osmond (R-South Jordan) wrote on the state Senate blog Friday that mandatory education in the state has forced teachers and schools to take on parenting responsibilities. Prior to the mandate taking effect in 1890, he wrote, education was "an opportunity" and parents were more engaged. He also wrote that teachers were more respected. The Deseret News first reported Osmond's blog post on Tuesday.

So, How many cons are going to tell us how great an idea this is? Of course we know that it would only be children of the very poor who would no longer receive an education, but hey, that would be a good thing, right?

Mandatory vs voluntary.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Well if you had an education you would know states and local governments run the show.

Good.. then you would support the elimination of the dept of ed, since they have nothing to do with the show.. eliminate government waste

They are there mostly for emergency funding if needed. I have no issue removing it.
That doesnt take away from the fact that what lgs said is fucking moronic.

That is a TON of money actually SPENT, for just being 'for an emergency'...

You know and I know it is well beyond 'just an emergency'... and you know full well they put federal mandates, and wrongfully so

A Republican state senator in Utah is calling for the end of mandatory education in the state.

State Sen. Aaron Osmond (R-South Jordan) wrote on the state Senate blog Friday that mandatory education in the state has forced teachers and schools to take on parenting responsibilities. Prior to the mandate taking effect in 1890, he wrote, education was "an opportunity" and parents were more engaged. He also wrote that teachers were more respected. The Deseret News first reported Osmond's blog post on Tuesday.

So, How many cons are going to tell us how great an idea this is? Of course we know that it would only be children of the very poor who would no longer receive an education, but hey, that would be a good thing, right?

You idiot. He wrote an opinion, which was propably taken out of context. He did not acll for an end to manditory education. Unless you can show me the bill he introduced.

I'd call you an idiot and a liberal but I hate repeating myself.

Last edited:
I think it's an excellent idea and I've been saying so for several years and why is it exactly that children of the very poor would no longer receive an education?

Because these kids come from families that are not conducive to learning in the first place. There are many parents out there who don't really care about their kids. These kids would be left without an education or even the opportunity at an education. So we would be punishing kids who have stupid parents. Honestly, I'm shocked that you would support such an idiotic idea. I would expect this type of thinking from some others on here but did not expect it from you.

Where in the Constitution is it the responsibility of the federal government to care about, take care of and educate kids? You leftists always want Government to be responsible for your lives.. the only thing stupid is YOU and those like you who are a drain on society with your leftist drivel.

See how easy that was to prove your ignorance to everyone. Good job!

Where in the Constitution is it the responsibility of the federal government to care about, take care of and educate kids? You leftists always want Government to be responsible for your lives.. the only thing stupid is YOU and those like you who are a drain on society with your leftist drivel.

Well if you had an education you would know states and local governments run the show.

Good.. then you would support the elimination of the dept of ed, since they have nothing to do with the show.. eliminate government waste

Personally, I would have no problem with the abolishment of the Dept. of Education, but that is for another thread.

I'd agree with that. Look at countries where people struggle to send their kids to school. The kids don't screw around and the parents force the issue because they know that education is the only way out of poverty. Now look at the US where many parents use school at a form of extended day care and just are completely disengaged from what their kids are doing.

If it were up to me, I'm not sure I would eliminate education, but I would allow students to drop out after 8th grade. Let little Jimmy work for a year digging ditches if he wants and then decide if learning trig is a better use of his time. If he doesn't want to go, why spend the money and resources and time on someone who is just there taking up space and being disruptive?

We already have plenty of uneducated non-productive people living in this country.
Do you really want to add to that number? And this would be good for America how?
Is that is supposed to be some kind of evidence of the success of compulsory gubmint edumacation?

Really?

Just because not every single person comes out highly educated does not mean that we remove the opportunity from those who cannot afford it or for whatever reason believe education is unimportant. Our military has lost a number of wars or not prevailed in the way they anticipated. Should we get rid of the military because of this? Hospitals don't save every patient that they see, so should we get rid of hospitals and doctors because they are not 100% effective? Public roads fall apart over time causing damage to our vehicles when we drive on them, so should we get rid of roads?

While I'm sure it was most likely just a typo, you should brush up on your grammar, and I'm not referring to your sarcastic spelling.

Your comment about the poor shows that your education could use some improvement, and I doubt you are part of the poor.

Too large of a chunk of our children do not get an education today, and a good share of them are the poor.

Figure out how to fix the current system, or shut the hell up about your concern for the children of the poor.

You aren't very bright are you? I understand it's a rhetorical question.

Do you have any basis for that understanding? Education would still be available. Free education would still be available. It would just no longer be mandatory. Parent's who don't care, along with their children who don't care just wouldn't have to keep seats warm in school.

So if a parent or the parents of a child don't care enough to make their kid go to school, we should promote this child not going to school when the child has no clue because they lack the education to understand the importance of an education. I guess if parents don't care enough to feed their kids, we should allow them not to feed them so it won't cost taxpayers any money. Some people in this forum have a very twisted idea of reality. Of course, we know that these forums tend to draw those on the very far fringes, and this is more than evident on a daily basis.

Do you have any basis for that understanding? Education would still be available. Free education would still be available. It would just no longer be mandatory. Parent's who don't care, along with their children who don't care just wouldn't have to keep seats warm in school.

Exactly and those same kids are trouble makers, disrupt the learning process, drain tax dollars .. That's the parents problem, not big daddy gubmints.

Apparently short sightedness is running rampant today.

I think it's an excellent idea and I've been saying so for several years and why is it exactly that children of the very poor would no longer receive an education?

Because these kids come from families that are not conducive to learning in the first place. There are many parents out there who don't really care about their kids. These kids would be left without an education or even the opportunity at an education. So we would be punishing kids who have stupid parents. Honestly, I'm shocked that you would support such an idiotic idea. I would expect this type of thinking from some others on here but did not expect it from you.

Translation: Poor people are too stupid to educate their kids and need Big Daddy Government.
This is always the argument of liberals.

Leftists think the government is a big gigantic piggybank for their fucked up lifestyles, their bad choices.. We're all responsible in their insane mindsets, for their problems, for their piss poor choices in life.

VICTIM MENTALITY

Here's a hint; I'm not a leftist, not even close. It's difficult for normal people to get those like you to come out of this fantasy world that you live in.

If kids don't want to be there, they shouldn't have to be there. The idea of mandatory education is ludicrous. It leads to the situation we have now -- our schools becoming warehouses instead of educational facilities. Teachers should not be babysitters. Teachers should be able to dismiss anyone who disrupts his or her classroom. You cannot force people to learn. It's a silly notion.

Okay, so when all the third graders decide they don't want to go to school anymore, we should just send them all home. Got it. You guys are cracking me up. Unfortunately your idiocy is a real thing that we must deal with.

So if a parent or the parents of a child don't care enough to make their kid go to school, we should promote this child not going to school when the child has no clue because they lack the education to understand the importance of an education. I guess if parents don't care enough to feed their kids, we should allow them not to feed them so it won't cost taxpayers any money. Some people in this forum have a very twisted idea of reality. Of course, we know that these forums tend to draw those on the very far fringes, and this is more than evident on a daily basis.

The reality is that parents care for their children. Yes, even bad parents care for their children. The scenario you suggest reeks of paternalism and simply would not be the
case in most any instance.

Forcing kids to take up space in schools is not the answer to the problem of poverty.

A really smart woman once told me, "You get hungry enough, you get the smarts."

She was right.

If kids don't want to be there, they shouldn't have to be there. The idea of mandatory education is ludicrous. It leads to the situation we have now -- our schools becoming warehouses instead of educational facilities. Teachers should not be babysitters. Teachers should be able to dismiss anyone who disrupts his or her classroom. You cannot force people to learn. It's a silly notion.

Okay, so when all the third graders decide they don't want to go to school anymore, we should just send them all home. Got it. You guys are cracking me up. Unfortunately your idiocy is a real thing that we must deal with.

Sure. And when they get home, their parents will most likely make sure it doesn't happen again.

The idea that you can force improvement on someone by using the power of law to make him sit in a classroom is what is laughable.

I know, why don't we make it illegal to have an IQ below 120 on the Stanford-Benet test?

Then we'd all have a bright future. I'd like to see rain outlawed on weekends, too.

When it is plain that something isn't working, and our public education system is a debacle, it's time to change it.

After all, isn't that what being a progressive is all about?

You will never hear me saying that there should not be enough education for everybody to learn to read and write and perform simple tasks of arithmatics.

But it is nothing less than snobbish and unreasonable to think and publicly say that EVERY child must have a college education. That idiocy is equivalent to say that every child should and MUST be able to and be allowed to play in the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL.

Meanwhile jobs for carpenters, plumbers, tailors, painters, mechanics, locksmiths, pipe-fitters, tire-builders, steam-fitters, truck drivers, clerks, miners, lumberjacks, factory workers, etc., etc., go unfilled, because illiterate college graduates think (and I use the word quite liberally) that they are too good to get their hands dirty and do something useful, while they are waiting for the call to become Vice Presidents of companies, in their parents's basement.

The only thing that is more despicable than the soft racism of low expectations is the unrealistic projection of non-existent abilities and qualifications.

Nobody here is talking about college education, and nobody that I know of has suggested that a college education should be mandatory. Now you do bring up a very good point that our K through 12 program of education does a huge disservice to many kids, because not everyone is book smart or geared toward going to college. We need more vocational schools and programs for high school kids to take part in. This is where most European countries beat us hands down. In most European countries, kids graduate after ninth grade and then go on to either higher academic education or they go to a vocational school or begin working an apprenticeship in a given trade. The not so bright kids get an education in something they understand and where they can actually become successful.

Unfortunately instead of getting responses such as this and discussing ways of improving our educational system, we have nutters promoting the idea that if a fifth grader doesn't like school, we shouldn't make him/her go to school anymore. It's a simple solution, but of course it ignores the consequences of such solutions.

They are there mostly for emergency funding if needed. I have no issue removing it.
That doesnt take away from the fact that what lgs said is fucking moronic.

That is a TON of money actually SPENT, for just being 'for an emergency'...

You know and I know it is well beyond 'just an emergency'... and you know full well they put federal mandates, and wrongfully so

No its not.....they average less than 10% of the overall nation wide budget

Why wouldn't you expect it? I'm very consistent in supporting ideas that make sense. The idea that every child deserves an education, while a noble goal, is inherently flawed, for some of the reasons you just mentioned. There are kids out there who come from families that don't give a shit about their education and hence, more times than not, the kids don't give a shit about their education. Since we force them to attend, however, they show up and cause trouble, get into fights, bully other kids, and are a constant distraction and disciplinary problem. You want to fix the public education system? Take out the trash. Remove the problem kids permanently and you'll see the standard of learning increase across the board, especially in the inner cities. Those kids causing problems aren't making anything of their lives right now in our compulsory system, so it makes no sense to force them to be there.

I'm thinking this through logically. You seem to be thinking strictly from emotion.

Forum List

Back