Aaron Shock (R, IL-18) to be primaried from the Right

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Republican Plans To Challenge Aaron Schock As Congressman s Ethics Troubles Pile On

In addition to a growing pile of ethics complaints, Congressman Aaron Schock (R-Ill.) is now facing a challenger from his own party for the 2016 election.

On Monday, Republican Mark Zalcman, an attorney based in Peoria, Illinois, announced he would challenge the 33-year-old representative for his seat in the state's 18th Congressional District.

“I don’t think he represents the values of the district very well," Zalcman told The Huffington Post by phone Tuesday. "People [in the 18th District] are strong Christians, people of faith; I think his recent troubles speak for themselves."

Zalcman was referring to multiple ethics violation complaints made against Schock in recent weeks. Among them: that he misused campaign and taxpayer money for expenses like a "Downton Abbey"-themed office redecoration, a private plane trip to see a Bears game -- originally billed as a software purchase -- and Katy Perry concert tickets for his staff.

"All Mr. Schock does is raise money and doesn’t help the people here," Zalcman said. “I think people just want to be heard. Aaron doesn’t come out to meet people: I see him at his fundraisers and meeting with local politicians, but as far as hanging out with average people, I don’t see it."

Zalcman isn't the only conservative heaping criticism on the once-rising star of the Republican party: On Tuesday, Erik Erickson, who edits the conservative blog Red State, and a staffer from the conservative National Review both called on Schock to resign.

National Review's Charles C. Cooke called Schock a "crook" and said, "Time to go, Aaron. Politics isn’t for you." Erickson, meanwhile, wrote: "He should resign. Perhaps Downton Abbey needs someone else to fill the role of an American playboy chasing a Crawley."

File under: noted

Edit: it's "Schock", not "Shock", as it displayed in the title.

If he's abusing the system he needs to be kicked out, and prosecuted. These people are our law makers they should be held to a higher standard.

Forum List

Back