ABC News on San Francisco: “We are not at Union Square or the Westfield Mall this morning because we have been advised it is simply too dangerous"

Meanwhile:

Sounds to me the water company should have backup generators. Hell, I got them at both of my houses. Storms are a fact of life when you live in tornado alley and hurricane zones and storms fuck up power systems. That's totally different than politicians willfully fucking up their cities.

They'll sort it out eventually. They have a group-think culture focused on growth. They just haven't figured out how to manage decline. My city went through this when William Jefferson Clinton's brilliant policies destroyed the tobacco industry and manufacturing--the two things the local economy were built on. It has taken decades and the loss of a third of the population to recover, but things are turning around.

They'll sort it out eventually. They have a group-think culture focused on growth. They just haven't figured out how to manage decline. My city went through this when William Jefferson Clinton's brilliant policies destroyed the tobacco industry and manufacturing--the two things the local economy were built on. It has taken decades and the loss of a third of the population to recover, but things are turning around.
Make an industry out of poisoning people, and eventually people wise up and shut you down.

Just the tip of the iceberg here, but I've been thinking about whether it's possible that a city can simply become too big. A city becomes large by being dynamic enough to attract money and talent, but then it begins to hollow out from the inside.

Is it governance? That can certainly be part of it. Is it because a city -- a result of the way cities, counties and states are financially structured -- doesn't have enough resources (such as financial flexibility) on its own to manage growth? That could be part of it.

Seems like that's at least worth discussing.

Flowers for Algernon. Perhaps the pace of growth that leads to cities emerging against the background creates a momentum that is destined, one way or another, to always circle back on itself. Or maybe that's too simplistic.

Flowers for Algernon. Perhaps the pace of growth that leads to cities emerging against the background creates a momentum that is destined, one way or another, to always circle back on itself. Or maybe that's too simplistic.
My guess is that's a part of it. Maybe the rapid growth of a dynamic city creates a vacuum on the low end and the city doesn't (or financially can't) keep up as more and more services are needed. San Francisco, for all its problems, is so fucking expensive now that service workers have to commute in from other cities because they can't afford to live there. That simply isn't sustainable.

I dunno. I don't know about the administrative functioning of a municipality to offer much. But I do think the question is worth exploring, can a city get too big? Or maybe grow too fast?

:dunno:

Meanwhile, Mississippi's capital city is months into living on bottled water.
4i6Ckte.gif

Butbutbutbut Mississippi!

Pathetic

My guess is that's a part of it. Maybe the rapid growth of a dynamic city creates a vacuum on the low end and the city doesn't (or financially can't) keep up as more and more services are needed. San Francisco, for all its problems, is so fucking expensive now that service workers have to commute in from other cities because they can't afford to live there. That simply isn't sustainable.

I dunno. I don't know about the administrative functioning of a municipality to offer much. But I do think the question is worth exploring, can a city get too big? Or maybe grow too fast?

:dunno:

The only thing that has gotten too big in San Francisco is leftism. Now we’re witnessing the effects.

Shouldn't public utilities be bound by laws, passed by the state government to protect the citizens of their state?

Most folks in TX don't feel a need for daddy govt to put a band aid on every little boo-boo. All you have is on guy bitching on the twitterverse, he's probably one of you commies. Heaven forbid mother nature inconvenience the little snowflake for a day or two.

It's an issue that is perfectly reasonable to discuss: Why is this happening in these cities?

Unfortunately, there's a good chance the actual answers aren't as simple as we want to make them, and we've lost the ability to deal with big problems. That would require communication, cooperation, collaboration and innovation. No longer qualities available in America.
EVERYONE with a non leftist infested brain knows its leftists policies. Debate or discussion isn't required to fix it. Common sense is.
A city becomes large by being dynamic enough to attract money and talent, but then it begins to hollow out from the inside
Hahahahahahaha

Residents are fleeing in droves not moving in. Specifically the money is LEAVING not being attracted lol

Forum List

Back