Abolish Victimless Crimes:

So most drug crimes would still be crimes since they steal and rob to support their habit and the dealers kill people to protect their product and routes.

Or are you suggesting the Government pay for all addicts drugs?

No, crimes like stealing, murder, or cutting the product with harmful chemicals like comet or drain cleaner I think would still be crimes. Simply taking non government approved recreational drugs would not be a crime.

Holy shit – deflection and straw men as far as the eye can see. Does anyone actually want to challenge the OP WITHOUT resorting to name calling, deflections or outrageous straw men?

Holy shit – deflection and straw men as far as the eye can see. Does anyone actually want to challenge the OP WITHOUT resorting to name calling, deflections or outrageous straw men?

Apparently not. I remain, however unlikely, optimistic that someone will debate the point with logic, reason and specificity. We'll see.

I dont know any victimless crimes off the top of my head. But regardless of that, how does the number of people in prisons suggest we need to eliminate crimes to get them out. They wouldnt be there if they didn't commit crimes. No one forced them to. Holding them accountable to the laws of our society isn't a bad thing merely because it makes them a criminal. That logic makes no sense.

How about instead of decriminalizing actions, we as a society step up and start obeying the law?

Because ‘society’ should not be subject to unjust laws. This is a simple concept. Should we just step up and turn in all our guns when the government decides to outlaw them? Perhaps we should lay quite when the democrats finally pass the ‘fairness doctrine?’ When are YOU simply going to accept that it is illegal to profess your faith or wear any religious symbol in a school?

No, we are not going to sit idle for any of that because such laws would be completely wrong and counter to the principals that this nation was founded on. For the same reason, we should not sit idly by and tell people to ‘just obey the law’ when there are so many laws that are plainly unjust. We have a duty to speak out about that.

As for victimless crimes, there are many but a few off the top of my head are; Drug crimes, Seatbelt laws, Helmet laws, most land use laws etc. Realize that we all know that people on drugs hurt those around them BUT that is not the same as CRIMINAL hurt. For example, cheating was brought up already. Cheating is very harmful for your family but it is not illegal (at least in a prosecutable sense). That is because you have done nothing to anyone to hurt them. They are hurt because they care about you and you have violated a confidence with them. Drug abuse is similar. It is your body to do with as you please. You have the right to destroy your own life if you please. Drugs, gambling, cheating or simply telling your loved ones that you never want to see them again are all lawful even though they can be very hurtful. Those are not ‘victims.’

Apparently not. I remain, however unlikely, optimistic that someone will debate the point with logic, reason and specificity. We'll see.

I would but we agree for the most part :D

How about instead of decriminalizing actions, we as a society step up and start obeying the law?

Because it is immoral, illogical and extremely costly to criminalize the actions of adults that do not harm another nor involve theft.

I suspect that when a law is enacted that criminalizes a consensual activity you engage in, you might think differently about the subject. We know eating too much pizza is bad for you. Shall we prosecute you when you have that extra slice? Should we close down the pizza shop? You get the idea.

Err on the side of freedom. You'll never go wrong.

I can generally sympathize with the idea that we have WAY too many people in prison to call ourselves a "free" country. I don't think pot should get people thrown into prison, but no sane person can argue that unregulated access to coke and meth will make society better.

I can generally sympathize with the idea that we have WAY too many people in prison to call ourselves a "free" country. I don't think pot should get people thrown into prison, but no sane person can argue that unregulated access to coke and meth will make society better.

We regulate your hamburger. Your hamburger is legal. Right now we have completely unregulated access to cocaine. I do not do drugs. I have not done drugs in almost 15 years and more than 2000 miles from here. I guarantee that I can find and acquire cocaine tonight if I so desired (at least I could if I were in country). 15 minutes with Google can set me up with an unregulated untested whore as well.

When you legalize it THEN regulation actually becomes possible. So, in reality, you are right, unfettered access to unregulated cocaine is harmful so maybe we should STOP that practice and legalize it.

Last edited:

We regulate your hamburger. Your hamburger is legal. Right now we have completely unregulated access to cocaine. I do not do drugs. I have not done drugs in almost 15 years and more than 2000 miles from here. I guarantee that I can find and acquire cocaine tonight if I so desired (at least I could if I were in country). 15 minutes with Google can set me up with an unregulated untested whore as well.

When you legalize it THEN regulation actually becomes possible. So, in reality, you are right, unfettered access to unregulated cocaine is harmful so maybe we should STOP that practice and legalize it.

Ease of access is one of the worst arguments for legalization I have ever heard.

I can murder someone in less than 30 seconds. Right now we have completely unregulated access to murder. Should we legalize murder then?

Last edited:
Good luck getting the American people to legalize heroin, meth, and crack cocaine!

...no sane person can argue that unregulated access to coke and meth will make society better.

Didn't argue for unregulated access. Argued for decriminalization of consensual activity between adults.

If you believe regulation of drugs will make society better, then the first step to regulation is decriminalization.

Good luck getting the American people to legalize heroin, meth, and crack cocaine!

Better luck getting them to agree that one should not go to jail if they didn't hurt anyone nor take what doesn't belong to them.

How about reckless driving?

How about driving drunk?

Those are victimless crimes...until the worst happens.

There is a reasonable application of law to PREVENT the need for a victim to charge a crime.

This is my position as well. I think pot is about as dangerous, if not less so, than alcohol. And since alcohol is legal, so should pot be.

But coke and meth and heroin are far more harmful, addictive, and debilitating.

The drug control pendulum has swung too far into the criminality zone, but that does not mean we should swing all the way back to the other end of the parabola.

How about driving drunk?

There is a reasonable application of law to PREVENT the need for a victim to charge a crime.

Agreed. Someone drunk driving is like someone swinging a loaded gun around in a crowd.

The Libertarian concept of waiting for harm to occur instead of doing common sense prevention of harm is one of the key flaws of their philosophy.

Ease of access is one of the worst arguments for legalization I have ever heard.

I can murder someone in less than 30 seconds. Right now we have completely unregulated access to murder. Should we legalize murder then?

?
I have no idea where you are going with that. It is not that I can easily access it that means it should be legal. That just means banning the substance is not effective. Murder is not illegal because I should not be able to access it, it is illegal because it is an aggressive act against another human. The two examples have nothing in common whatsoever.

Here is the fact – I CAN get the substance. That is fact. When I CHOOSE to use it, I am the ONLY one that is subject to that chemical. I have not committed an act of aggression against anyone, their property, or their rights. I have done nothing to them whatsoever. For this act, I can be forcibly detained and imprisoned for 10 years. That makes zero sense.

Further, I have access to that product WITHOUT any governmental regulation, something that can and will exist if the product was legal. Further, all the social ills that are created through drug use go without taxing the product to pay for them. Then the biggest kicker is that the crime surrounding the drug trade is a DIRECT result of the substances legal status. We have real data here with alcohol. Why is that so hard to understand.

How about driving drunk?

Agreed. Someone drunk driving is like someone swinging a loaded gun around in a crowd.

The Libertarian concept of waiting for harm to occur instead of doing common sense prevention of harm is one of the key flaws of their philosophy.

Something that no one has advocated for in this thread.

Reckless driving harms, or at least interferes, with others on a non-consensual basis. Otherwise, it wouldn't be reckless.

How about driving drunk?

Previously addressed...more than once. One more time:

If a drunk driver causes an accident, I agree we should not let them drive on. They've harmed another, so prosecution is on the table. They've done so while doing something we all know is dangerous, so by all means, throw the book at them. Harsh penalties are in order for drunk drivers that hurt others, absolutely!

However, that's a very different thing from random checkpoints that end up prosecuting a driver that never caused an accident nor committed a moving violation.

Those are victimless crimes.

No, they are not.

Disagree. Preventative laws only serve to make criminals out of people that haven't hurt anyone else. A slippery slope to be sure.

How about driving drunk?

Due respect g, you've missed the point. Swinging a loaded gun around in a crowd causes people in that crowd to take cover. The guy with a gun has therefore caused others, at a minimum, an inconvenience...AND a dangerous one, to be sure. This is NOT a consensual act and should therefore be subject to prosecution.

However, a guy walking through a crowd with a concealed firearm, not bothering anyone else? No WAY should that be illegal, yet in many places, it is.

I'd argue that it would much better for society as a whole to AGGRESSIVELY punish those harm others vs. trying to legislate good behavior. This would be a greater deterrent to evildoers.

Last edited:
I dont know any victimless crimes off the top of my head. But regardless of that, how does the number of people in prisons suggest we need to eliminate crimes to get them out. They wouldnt be there if they didn't commit crimes. No one forced them to. Holding them accountable to the laws of our society isn't a bad thing merely because it makes them a criminal. That logic makes no sense.

The foundation of your argument lays upon the idea that all laws government pass are Just, Necessary and Proper. You also used the word "society." Since you used that word, I want you to read a passage the explain the difference between "Society" and "Government" then read the next passage about Just and Unjust Laws by MLK:

Since you have not yet fallen to the plague of Libarditis (from what I've seen you type on these boards), I trust that you will read these:

SOME writers have so confounded society with government, as to leave little or no distinction between them; whereas they are not only different, but have different origins. Society is produced by our wants, and government by our wickedness; the former promotes our happiness POSITIVELY by uniting our affections, the latter NEGATIVELY by restraining our vices. The one encourages intercourse, the other creates distinctions. The first is a patron, the last a punisher.

Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one: for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries BY A GOVERNMENT, which we might expect in a country WITHOUT GOVERNMENT, our calamity is heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer. Government, like dress, is the badge of lost innocence; the palaces of kings are built upon the ruins of the bowers of paradise. For were the impulses of conscience clear, uniform and irresistibly obeyed, man would need no other lawgiver; but that not being the case, he finds it necessary to surrender up a part of his property to furnish means for the protection of the rest; and this he is induced to do by the same prudence which in every other case advises him, out of two evils to choose the least. Wherefore, security being the true design and end of government, it unanswerably follows that whatever form thereof appears most likely to ensure it to us, with the least expense and greatest benefit, is preferable to all others.

In order to gain a clear and just idea of the design and end of government, let us suppose a small number of persons settled in some sequestered part of the earth, unconnected with the rest; they will then represent the first peopling of any country, or of the world. In this state of natural liberty, society will be their first thought. A thousand motives will excite them thereto; the strength of one man is so unequal to his wants, and his mind so unfitted for perpetual solitude, that he is soon obliged to seek assistance and relief of another, who in his turn requires the same. Four or five united would be able to raise a tolerable dwelling in the midst of a wilderness, but one man might labour out the common period of life without accomplishing any thing; when he had felled his timber he could not remove it, nor erect it after it was removed; hunger in the mean time would urge him to quit his work, and every different want would call him a different way. Disease, nay even misfortune, would be death; for, though neither might be mortal, yet either would disable him from living, and reduce him to a state in which he might rather be said to perish than to die.

Thus necessity, like a gravitating power, would soon form our newly arrived emigrants into society, the reciprocal blessings of which would supersede, and render the obligations of law and government unnecessary while they remained perfectly just to each other; but as nothing but Heaven is impregnable to vice, it will unavoidably happen that in proportion as they surmount the first difficulties of emigration, which bound them together in a common cause, they will begin to relax in their duty and attachment to each other: and this remissness will point out the necessity of establishing some form of government to supply the defect of moral virtue.

Some convenient tree will afford them a State House, under the branches of which the whole Colony may assemble to deliberate on public matters. It is more than probable that their first laws will have the title only of Regulations and be enforced by no other penalty than public disesteem. In this first parliament every man by natural right will have a seat.

But as the Colony encreases, the public concerns will encrease likewise, and the distance at which the members may be separated, will render it too inconvenient for all of them to meet on every occasion as at first, when their number was small, their habitations near, and the public concerns few and trifling. This will point out the convenience of their consenting to leave the legislative part to be managed by a select number chosen from the whole body, who are supposed to have the same concerns at stake which those have who appointed them, and who will act in the same manner as the whole body would act were they present. If the colony continue encreasing, it will become necessary to augment the number of representatives, and that the interest of every part of the colony may be attended to, it will be found best to divide the whole into convenient parts, each part sending its proper number: and that the ELECTED might never form to themselves an interest separate from the ELECTORS, prudence will point out the propriety of having elections often: because as the ELECTED might by that means return and mix again with the general body of the ELECTORS in a few months, their fidelity to the public will be secured by the prudent reflection of not making a rod for themselves. And as this frequent interchange will establish a common interest with every part of the community, they will mutually and naturally support each other, and on this, (not on the unmeaning name of king,) depends the STRENGTH OF GOVERNMENT, AND THE HAPPINESS OF THE GOVERNED.

Here then is the origin and rise of government; namely, a mode rendered necessary by the inability of moral virtue to govern the world; here too is the design and end of government, viz. Freedom and security. And however our eyes may be dazzled with show, or our ears deceived by sound; however prejudice may warp our wills, or interest darken our understanding, the simple voice of nature and reason will say, 'tis right.

MLK:
One may well ask: "How can you advocate breaking some laws and obeying others?" The answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws: just and unjust. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all."

Now, what is the difference between the two? How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of St. Thomas Aquinas: An unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law. Any law that uplifts human personality is just. Any law that degrades human personality is unjust. All segregation statutes are unjust because segregation distorts the soul and damages the personality. It gives the segregator a false sense of superiority and the segregated a false sense of inferiority. Segregation, to use the terminology of the Jewish philosopher Martin Buber, substitutes an "I it" relationship for an "I thou" relationship and ends up relegating persons to the status of things. Hence segregation is not only politically, economically and sociologically unsound, it is morally wrong and sinful. Paul Tillich has said that sin is separation. Is not segregation an existential expression of man's tragic separation, his awful estrangement, his terrible sinfulness? Thus it is that I can urge men to obey the 1954 decision of the Supreme Court, for it is morally right; and I can urge them to disobey segregation ordinances, for they are morally wrong.

Let us consider a more concrete example of just and unjust laws. An unjust law is a code that a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on itself. This is difference made legal. By the same token, a just law is a code that a majority compels a minority to follow and that it is willing to follow itself. This is sameness made legal. Let me give another explanation. A law is unjust if it is inflicted on a minority that, as a result of being denied the right to vote, had no part in enacting or devising the law. Who can say that the legislature of Alabama which set up that state's segregation laws was democratically elected? Throughout Alabama all sorts of devious methods are used to prevent Negroes from becoming registered voters, and there are some counties in which, even though Negroes constitute a majority of the population, not a single Negro is registered. Can any law enacted under such circumstances be considered democratically structured?

Sometimes a law is just on its face and unjust in its application. For instance, I have been arrested on a charge of parading without a permit. Now, there is nothing wrong in having an ordinance which requires a permit for a parade. But such an ordinance becomes unjust when it is used to maintain segregation and to deny citizens the First-Amendment privilege of peaceful assembly and protest.

I hope you are able to see the distinction I am trying to point out. In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law, as would the rabid segregationist. That would lead to anarchy. One who breaks an unjust law must do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

Of course, there is nothing new about this kind of civil disobedience. It was evidenced sublimely in the refusal of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego to obey the laws of Nebuchadnezzar, on the ground that a higher moral law was at stake. It was practiced superbly by the early Christians, who were willing to face hungry lions and the excruciating pain of chopping blocks rather than submit to certain unjust laws of the Roman Empire. To a degree, academic freedom is a reality today because Socrates practiced civil disobedience. In our own nation, the Boston Tea Party represented a massive act of civil disobedience.

We should never forget that everything Adolf Hitler did in Germany was "legal" and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did in Hungary was "illegal." It was "illegal" to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler's Germany. Even so, I am sure that, had I lived in Germany at the time, I would have aided and comforted my Jewish brothers. If today I lived in a Communist country where certain principles dear to the Christian faith are suppressed, I would openly advocate disobeying that country's antireligious laws.

Forum List

Back