Alex Jones held in contempt of court for not showing at Sandy Hook trial

I was living in Austin, Texas many years ago when Alex Jones had a local AM radio show that I listed to on my way home from work.
He had very informative guests he interviewed, and most of the things he talked about eventually proved to be true.
But I will admit he kinda went off the rails the last few years. ... :cool:

That's a difficult case to prove in court. ... :cool:
They have him dead to rights for continuing the farce long after he was shown the truth and long after he was informed of the behavior of his listeners towards the parents.

It’s a civil case. So there can be no conviction. But there could be a finding of liability. And if that happens, he could get hit with a huge judgment (monetary award to the plaintiffs).

But it would still be subject to an appeal. I suspect that what he said is so stupid and offensive that it may be difficult to fairly review everything. Those kids were killed. What happened wasn’t fodder for idiotic and rancid conspiracy theory shit. And I’m sure it did cause additional pain for the grieving parents. So, if there is an appeal, I suspect Jones will be in bad shape.

I am not sure that any reasonable person would have confused Jones’ mindless conspiracy theory for anything along the lines of “news reporting,” however. Jones is a piece of shit in many ways. But I am concerned that expressing even stupid, rancid and baseless opinion maybe should be viewed as different than actionable defamation.

It’s a civil case. So there can be no conviction. But there could be a finding of liability. And if that happens, he could get hit with a huge judgment (monetary award to the plaintiffs).

But it would still be subject to an appeal. I suspect that what he said is so stupid and offensive that it may be difficult to fairly review everything. Those kids were killed. What happened wasn’t fodder for idiotic and rancid conspiracy theory shit. And I’m sure it did cause additional pain for the grieving parents. So, if there is an appeal, I suspect Jones will be in bad shape.

I am not sure that any reasonable person would have confused Jones’ mindless conspiracy theory for anything along the lines of “news reporting,” however. Jones is a piece of shit in many ways. But I am concerned that expressing even stupid, rancid and baseless opinion maybe should be viewed as different than actionable defamation.
All defamation is "opinion".

The line has to be drawn somewhere. Else no such thing as defamation.

They have him dead to rights for continuing the farce long after he was shown the truth and long after he was informed of the behavior of his listeners towards the parents.
Jones is a heartless Slug. I hope the lawsuits send him to bankruptcy. Maybe he could get pointers from trump...the bankruptcy king.

All defamation is "opinion".

The line has to be drawn somewhere. Else no such thing as defamation.
Not really. I can’t defame P by saying that I view P as a stupid dishonest troll. It’s just an expression of opinion.

But, if I falsely allege, as a so-called “fact,” that P has molested small children and committed specific acts of sexual depravity on them, then P has been damaged by injury to his reputation.

The former (staring an opinion) is protected free speech. The latter (falsely alleging a crime or something along those lines) is actionable defamation. Opinion vs false allegations of “fact” is a primary threshold issue. Proof of “damages” is another issue.

For example, if I claim that I have proof that P is a whore, P not only has to prove that my statement was made knowing that it was false or made without regard to whether it was false, she would also have to prove that my saying so injured her reputation. Suppose I have her criminal record of repeated convictions for prostitution. Guess what. My statement wasn’t false AND her reputation isn’t injured.

Where does the shit said by Jones fall? I personally believe his opinion was rancid, hateful and unsupported by any reasonable good faith belief. I am not as sure that he stated it as a fact or that listeners would assume it was an alleged fact. And I have no doubt that his imbecility caused pain the the surviving family members of the little victims. But did it damage their reputations? I doubt it. Therefore, I still wonder if this suit actually crosses the line from a fair defamation claim into an invalid attempt to impose a restriction on free speech.

I don’t really know. But it does concern me.

Not really. I can’t defame P by saying that I view P as a stupid dishonest troll. It’s just an expression of opinion.

But, if I falsely allege, as a so-called “fact,” that P has molested small children and committed specific acts of sexual depravity on them, then P has been damaged by injury to his reputation.

The former (staring an opinion) is protected free speech. The latter (falsely alleging a crime or something along those lines) is actionable defamation. Opinion vs false allegations of “fact” is a primary threshold issue. Proof of “damages” is another issue.

For example, if I claim that I have proof that P is a whore, P not only has to prove that my statement was made knowing that it was false or made without regard to whether it was false, she would also have to prove that my saying so injured her reputation. Suppose I have her criminal record of repeated convictions for prostitution. Guess what. My statement wasn’t false AND her reputation isn’t injured.

Where does the shit said by Jones fall? I personally believe his opinion was rancid, hateful and unsupported by any reasonable good faith belief. I am not as sure that he stated it as a fact or that listeners would assume it was an alleged fact. And I have no doubt that his imbecility caused pain the the surviving family members of the little victims. But did it damage their reputations? I doubt it. Therefore, I still wonder if this suit actually crosses the line from a fair defamation claim into an invalid attempt to impose a restriction on free speech.

I don’t really know. But it does concern me.
The damage here is the constant stalking, invasion of privacy and death threats. One of these men has had to move a dozen times. He gave a tv interview where he obscured his face and voice but somehow the internet tracked him down by the view out the window. That's the kind of thing these people have had to deal with.

Forum List

Back