All the movies you must see

image.jpeg
Dark City (1998)

Breakdown was a great suspense action movie that kept me on the edge of my seat. In fact, it was so good I can't keep it to myself. Most people probably haven't seen this and I didn't even know about it till I looked at Kurt Russells page on IMDb. I would recommend you see this, it really got me going, it would probably get you going too.

I believe Best Years of Our Lives is probably the best movie every made about GI's returning home from war. The movie takes place in the small midwestern town of Boon City but if could be any small town in American in 1945. The movie follows three veterans returning home from war. There's Fred (Dana Andrews), a war hero who, unable to compete with more highly skilled workers, has to return to his low-wage soda jerk job. There's Bank executive Al (Fredric March) who gets into trouble for offering favorable loans to veterans. After losing both hands in the war, Homer (Harold Russell) who returns to his loving fiancée, but must struggle to adjust. Thanks William Wyler Director, Robert E. Sherwood, Screenwriter, and a great cast, by the end of the movie you will feel you know these guys and you'll want know more.

The movie won 8 academy awards and is number 37 on the America Film Institute's The 100 Greatest American Films of All Times.

Breakdown was a great suspense action movie that kept me on the edge of my seat. In fact, it was so good I can't keep it to myself. Most people probably haven't seen this and I didn't even know about it till I looked at Kurt Russells page on IMDb. I would recommend you see this, it really got me going, it would probably get you going too.
Reading this it looks sort of off note the way it was worded but it was a high anxiety post-movie reflection on what I'd seen and truly it was the best movie I saw in a long time and totally surprised me because I didn't think it was going to be that good. Funny thing is I never heard of it in the 25 years since it was released. You'd think someone would say something about it. I wasn't trying to be overly gracious as it appears on read back. I suggest you see this movie if you haven't already. I'm glad I picked it.

All my picks here are randomly drawn from a deck that I shuffle between each movie. Much of the time what I draw connects in some way with what is going on in reality and that adds a Twilight Zone factor to the experience such as drawing this Travolta movie immediately after making that comment. You can see the connection there. I didn't plan it and have by now forgotten almost all of the contents of the deck, so, it is what it is, proving itself repeatedly.

I believe Best Years of Our Lives is probably the best movie every made about GI's returning home from war. The movie takes place in the small midwestern town of Boon City but if could be any small town in American in 1945. The movie follows three veterans returning home from war. There's Fred (Dana Andrews), a war hero who, unable to compete with more highly skilled workers, has to return to his low-wage soda jerk job. There's Bank executive Al (Fredric March) who gets into trouble for offering favorable loans to veterans. After losing both hands in the war, Homer (Harold Russell) who returns to his loving fiancée, but must struggle to adjust. Thanks William Wyler Director, Robert E. Sherwood, Screenwriter, and a great cast, by the end of the movie you will feel you know these guys and you'll want know more.

The movie won 8 academy awards and is number 37 on the America Film Institute's The 100 Greatest American Films of All Times.
I am going to watch this tomorrow on Veterans Day. Thanks for your suggestions.

I disagree. This seemed like a propaganda film to the max. Progs will sell all war movies as American propaganda. This movie was not that good except it was feel good for an ending of a terrible time. And it won awards because of it.

5/10 boring political movie, not much to see here. Many familiar faces though. Something to watch, could be much worse.
I prefer the original version (1949). The 2006 version is disjointed and the script is terrible. Rotten Tomatoes gave a it a charitable 11% and audiences 40%. the original movie won 3 Oscars which included Best Picture and Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 96% and the audience 78%.

The movies are based on the novel of the same name written by Robert Penn Warren. The book was inspired by the real-life story of Louisiana governor Huey P. Long, who was assassinated in 1935.

I doubt many people today know anything about Huey P. Long and what he did in Louisiana. Although Donald Trump captivated his audience in much the same way as Long did, he was much different once in office. Unlike Trump, he was a champion of the poor building highways, huge bridges, bringing free healthcare to his people, free schools, free textbooks, free lunches, etc. Tax the rich to feed to poor was his goal and violating the law was just routine business for Long. He was the most hated man in Louisiana and the most Loved.

In the movie and book, the main character, Willie Stark deviates from Huey Long in order to capitate the viewer or reader but the most important events in Long's life are factually portrayed. The 1949 version is worth seeing for it's fine acting and script and for a glimpse of political history of a charlatan and conman that might have made it to the presidency if not stopped by an assassin's bullet.

The moral of both the book and movie is "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back