American killed by bow and arrow trying to visit forbidden North Sentinel Island...

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

An American tourist trying to visit a lush, remote island in India has been killed by a tribe completely cut off from the outside world and known to attack outsiders with bows and arrows, police revealed Wednesday.

Indian officials have identified the victim as John Allen Chau, 27. They added that he was illegally ferried by fishermen to North Sentinel Island last week, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal between India and Burma.

“Adventure awaits. So do leeches,” read the final post on his Instagram account, dated Nov. 2. On his Facebook profile, Chau described himself as a “soccer coach, traveller, and writer.” He often posted images of his worldwide exploits online, such as hikes in Washington state and prior trips to India.

Dependera Pathak, director-general of police on India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, told the Associated Press that Chau arrived in the region on Oct. 16 and stayed in a hotel while he prepared to visit the prohibited island.

He said Chau organized his visit to the island through a friend who hired seven fishermen for $325 to take him there on a boat, which also towed his kayak.

Chau went ashore in his kayak on Nov. 15 and sent the boat with the fishermen out to sea to avoid detection, Pathak said. He interacted with some of the tribespeople, giving them gifts he had prepared such as a football and fish. But the tribespeople became angry and shot an arrow at him which apparently hit a book he was carrying, Pathak said.

The American's kayak became damaged, so he swam to the fishermen's boat, which was waiting at a prearranged location. There he spent the night and wrote out his experiences on pages of paper which he gave to the fishermen, Pathak said.

In one of the notes handed over, according to the New York Times, Chau wrote about Jesus bestowing him with the strength to visit some of the most forbidden places on Earth.

Chau then set off for the island again the following day. Sources who spoke to AFP though said once he set foot on shore, he was “attacked by arrows but he continued walking.

“The fishermen saw the tribals tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body,” one source added.

Following Chau's death, the fishermen left for Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where they informed Chau's friend, who notified his family, Pathak said.

He said the family got in touch with Indian police and U.S. consular officials.

"It was a case of misdirected adventure," he added.

The body, according to Reuters, has not yet been recovered as of Wednesday, and those who took him to the island are said to have been arrested.

"The investigation in this matter is on," senior police officer Deepak Yadav said, announcing that the seven fishermen have been taken into custody.

Did this dummy spend even five minutes Googling "North Sentinel Island" before going on his "adventure"? Turns out they don't like visitors.
Evolution in action.

More info..

North Sentinel Island History

Marco Polo had passed through the area in the late 13th century, describing the Andamanese as “a most brutish and savage race, having heads, eyes and teeth like those of dogs.

They are very cruel, and kill and eat every foreigner whom they can lay their hands upon”.

But it was not until 1771 that it was first specifically mentioned by an East India Company survey vessel, which observed the lights from fires on the shore

American killed by bow and arrow-wielding tribe while trying to visit remote Indian island

An American tourist trying to visit a lush, remote island in India has been killed by a tribe completely cut off from the outside world and known to attack outsiders with bows and arrows, police revealed Wednesday.

Indian officials have identified the victim as John Allen Chau, 27. They added that he was illegally ferried by fishermen to North Sentinel Island last week, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal between India and Burma.

“Adventure awaits. So do leeches,” read the final post on his Instagram account, dated Nov. 2. On his Facebook profile, Chau described himself as a “soccer coach, traveller, and writer.” He often posted images of his worldwide exploits online, such as hikes in Washington state and prior trips to India.

Dependera Pathak, director-general of police on India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands, told the Associated Press that Chau arrived in the region on Oct. 16 and stayed in a hotel while he prepared to visit the prohibited island.

He said Chau organized his visit to the island through a friend who hired seven fishermen for $325 to take him there on a boat, which also towed his kayak.

Chau went ashore in his kayak on Nov. 15 and sent the boat with the fishermen out to sea to avoid detection, Pathak said. He interacted with some of the tribespeople, giving them gifts he had prepared such as a football and fish. But the tribespeople became angry and shot an arrow at him which apparently hit a book he was carrying, Pathak said.

The American's kayak became damaged, so he swam to the fishermen's boat, which was waiting at a prearranged location. There he spent the night and wrote out his experiences on pages of paper which he gave to the fishermen, Pathak said.

In one of the notes handed over, according to the New York Times, Chau wrote about Jesus bestowing him with the strength to visit some of the most forbidden places on Earth.

Chau then set off for the island again the following day. Sources who spoke to AFP though said once he set foot on shore, he was “attacked by arrows but he continued walking.

“The fishermen saw the tribals tying a rope around his neck and dragging his body,” one source added.

Following Chau's death, the fishermen left for Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, where they informed Chau's friend, who notified his family, Pathak said.

He said the family got in touch with Indian police and U.S. consular officials.

"It was a case of misdirected adventure," he added.

The body, according to Reuters, has not yet been recovered as of Wednesday, and those who took him to the island are said to have been arrested.

"The investigation in this matter is on," senior police officer Deepak Yadav said, announcing that the seven fishermen have been taken into custody.

Did this dummy spend even five minutes Googling "North Sentinel Island" before going on his "adventure"? Turns out they don't like visitors.
Just because they are a tribe, doesnt make them immune to punishment for murder. Someone from that tribe needs to be put it prison.

No. The tribe viewed him as an invader of their sovereign nation. He had to know the history of this tribe, but he broke the law and paid with his life.

*snip*

Sentinelese-people-bw-300x236.jpg

The island seemed to be forgotten until 1867, when an Indian ship called the Ninevah was wrecked on its beach. The 106 survivors set up a temporary camp and were attacked a few days later.

They managed to fend off the worst of the onslaught but, if it hadn’t been for a Royal Navy steamer which arrived shortly after to rescue them, it is unlikely the terrified group would have survived.

For the next hundred years the island and its people were left alone but rumours persisted about North Sentinel and its warlike inhabitants.

By the Seventies, most of the native peoples of the Andaman Islands had either been contacted by outsiders or partially integrated into modernity by the Indian government, which felt it was integral to the area’s progress.

*snip*.

With this in mind, a group of anthropologists, a film crew, a National Geographic photographer and a group of armed policemen made their way to the island in 1974, hoping to win the friendship of the Sentinelese using the tried and true methods of colonialists throughout the ages: friendly gestures and plenty of gifts.

Unfortunately for this group of idealists, they failed. On landing and placing items such as a doll, pots and pans, coconuts and a live pig on the beach, a group of natives approached brandishing bows and arrows which they proceeded to fire at the intruders. The film director was hit in the left thigh and the group made a hasty exit in their dinghy. From the safety of the water, they saw the Sentinelese spearing both the doll and the pig, and burying the gifts in the sand.

This was not the only hair-raising encounter outsiders would have with the Sentinelese. In 1981 a Panamanian freighter, the Primrose, ran aground in heavy seas just off the island.Relieved to see land in the morning, the crew’s relief turned to apprehension when they saw a group of natives waving weapons at the boat. An urgent distress signal was sent out.

“Wild men, estimate more than 50, carrying various homemade weapons are making two or three wooden boats, ” went the dispatch.

“Worrying they will board us at sunset. All crew members’ lives not guaranteed.” For nearly a week the crew of the Primrose, armed only with flare guns and a few axes, fended off an attack before they were rescued by an Indian Navy tugboat and helicopters. Once again it seemed as if any hope of peaceful contact with the Sentinelese had been dashed.

I'll just assume the tribe was on their lands when this happened. Wouldn't that make the tribe subject to their laws, not ours?

Would you invade them?
I would smash that fucking tribe of it were up to me. Id swarm that god damn place with soldiers and find out who killed that guy. If they made even the slightest move of aggression, id have those soldiers fire on them. These shit heads need to be taught a lesson.

Be cool and you get treated cool, be a dick and get treated like a dick.

They have been cool. They've been chilling out on an island for 60,000 years, and only killed a few people.
Their history is far from cool. These are sucky people.

What history? What was the last continent they occupied?
Their history is, for over a hundred years every time anyone ever makes contact, they fucking kill them, or try, with maybe two exceptions.

I'm the same way.

I love living in the boonies

I'll just assume the tribe was on their lands when this happened. Wouldn't that make the tribe subject to their laws, not ours?

Would you invade them?
I would smash that fucking tribe of it were up to me. Id swarm that god damn place with soldiers and find out who killed that guy. If they made even the slightest move of aggression, id have those soldiers fire on them. These shit heads need to be taught a lesson.

They have been cool. They've been chilling out on an island for 60,000 years, and only killed a few people.

Exactly, what history? What have these savages achieved?

They sure as hell ain't as bad as the massive herd of thugs and gang punks we have here. They've likely killed less in 60,000 years as Chicago does in a month.

This guy did the same as the kid that insisted on going to North Korea...…...when will people learn to stay away from places that don't want you there? :banghead:
The North Korean government deserves to be smashed too, just like this shitty tribe.

Yeah, their culture needs destroyed because-?

give it up...….remember ya can't fix stupid :thup:

Yeahbutt you can taze the shit out of it till it runs away.

Exactly, what history? What have these savages achieved?

They sure as hell ain't as bad as the massive herd of thugs and gang punks we have here. They've likely killed less in 60,000 years as Chicago does in a month.

But the difference is me personally a Chicago guy I can deal with them with out getting killed I know the streets and language..

Not these and everyone agrees, just leave this people alone

What can't you comprend simple facts about the island and the primitive people that live there?

I dont care about their level of technology. There are plenty of peaceful tribes out there, but this one sucks and they are murdering people. It should be stopped and there should be justice.

So let me guess you go into a tigers cage , get killed and want the tigers killed?

Now these people arent even human in your eyes? Sorry, but i consider them to be humans. You expect them to not know right from wrong. Murder has and always will be bad. We all know it.

They are not civilized and never will be.

You take their babies and raise them in the US, i bet they turn out perfectly fine. No murders at all.

Of course!

We gots NO murders here.

Godboy said:
I dont care about their level of technology. There are plenty of peaceful tribes out there, but this one sucks and they are murdering people. It should be stopped and there should be justice.
They Want To Be Left Alone
On An Island By Themselves
They Offed A Trespasser That Could Have Gone Anywhere Else

And I Think It's Funny
I can see the humor in it, but i also think these people suck and im not willing to give them a pass just because they are a novelty.

They are not a novelty, they are people. They don't give a toad fuck if you give them a pass or not.

Whether you agree with Godboy or not, I think he’s bringing up an interesting topic...but one that should probably go on its own thread.

I think he’s touching on the topic of morality/customs. Is it relative, or does an actual moral standard exist, in a universal way? I think it’s a valid question.

I’m kind of surprised that Godboy (who I thought was an atheist?) seems to acknowledge that a true moral standard does exist.

Whether you agree with Godboy or not, I think he’s bringing up an interesting topic...but one that should probably go on its own thread.

I think he’s touching on the topic of morality/customs. Is it relative, or does an actual moral standard exist, in a universal way? I think it’s a valid question.

I’m kind of surprised that Godboy (who I thought was an atheist?) seems to acknowledge that a true moral standard does exist.

I’m kind of surprised that Godboy (who I thought was an atheist?) seems to acknowledge that a true moral
standard does exist.

That's what I was trying to get out of him.. I wanted him to acknowledge something by pushing it.

But I couldn't figure out why he didn't know what a ecosystem was .

And this what I don't like us tampering with other planets /moons.

US man killed by tribe after ignoring ban on visiting remote North Sentinel island

An American who ignored laws preventing outsiders from visiting an island where the indigenous people are protected has been killed by its inhabitants.

John Allen Chau is said to have died in a hail of arrows as he set foot on North Sentinel Island, part of the Indian-controlled Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal.

The people who live there are one of the few tribes completely cut off from the rest of the world and have previously fired at outsiders.

What a dickhead. Feel sorry for his family but what a conceited arrogant knob.

What church sent him there?

"Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat, Pathak said. He told the fishermen on Nov. 16 he would not come back from the island and instructed them to return home and pass on some handwritten notes he had made to a friend."

American missionary killed by tribe on remote Indian island

I like you now..

But read your link, he went to India not this island multiple times..

I know it. Dangerous as heck even Marco Polo said it..

From your link

Based on his social media posts, Chau appears to have visited India multiple times in the last few years, exploring many parts of southern India and preaching in some places too.

People keep bringing up our southern border, and sovereignty. The thing is that almost no country in the world (aside from North Korea) advertises that you can be shot crossing the border. Everybody knows that going to North Sentinel Island means death. People can go there. They just don't. This dummy went, and died. Therefor the US and Indian government won't prosecute the tribesmen. It's like prosecuting a volcano because somebody fell into it.

"Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat, Pathak said. He told the fishermen on Nov. 16 he would not come back from the island and instructed them to return home and pass on some handwritten notes he had made to a friend."

I like you now..

From your link

Based on his social media posts, Chau appears to have visited India multiple times in the last few years, exploring many parts of southern India and preaching in some places too.

My quote is from the article. It literally says he visited the island 2 or 3 times and made contact with the tribe.

"Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat, Pathak said."

I like you now..

From your link

My quote is from the article. It literally says he visited the island 2 or 3 times and made contact with the tribe.

"Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat, Pathak said."

Ok I am retarded.. I reread it again..

That's werid he me made three..

YahooNEWS

Ad: 23 seconds
American killed by an isolated tribe on remote Indian island

By Sanjib Kumar Roy
ReutersNovember 21, 2018, 11:21 AM MST
By Sanjib Kumar Roy

PORT BLAIR (Reuters) - A young American adventurer and evangelist visiting one of the islands in India's remote cluster of Andaman and Nicobar has been killed by a tribe of hunter-gatherers who live there isolated from the outside world, police said on Wednesday.

The North Sentinel Island, which is out of bounds for visitors, is home to the Sentinelese community, believed to be the last pre-Neolithic tribe in the world.

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Ad
1541193792507-9223.jpg.cf.webp

The American, identified as 26-year-old John Allen Chau, was killed after being illegally ferried to the island by fishermen, Dependra Pathak, the director general of police in Andaman and Nicobar, told Reuters.

"A murder case has been registered against unknown persons," said Pathak, adding that the fishermen had been arrested.

Chau's social media posts identify him as an adventurer and explorer. Responding to a travel blog query about what was on the top of his adventure list, Chau said: "Going back to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India."

Chau also said in the blog: "I definitely get my inspiration for life from Jesus."

The police said in a statement late on Tuesday they had launched an investigation after being contacted by the U.S. consulate in the southern city of Chennai.

"We are aware of reports concerning a U.S. citizen in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands," a consulate spokeswoman said in an email, but declined to provide further details.

North Sentinel Island is about 50 km (31 miles) west of Port Blair, the capital of the island cluster.

In 2006, two fishermen, whose boat strayed onto the 60-sq-km island, were killed and their bodies never recovered. An Indian Coast Guard helicopter sent to retrieve the bodies was repelled by a volley of arrows from the community.

"WHY ARE THEY SO ANGRY?"

Pathak said a Coast Guard vessel with police and experts on the tribe had gone to scout the island and formulate a plan to recover Chau's body.

Chau made two or three trips to the island by canoe from Nov. 15, making contact with the tribe but returning to his boat. He told the fishermen on Nov. 16 he would not come back from the island and instructed them to return home and pass on some handwritten notes he had made to a friend, Pathak said.

The next morning they saw his body being dragged across a beach and buried in the sand, the police chief said, adding: "This was a misplaced adventure in a highly protected area."

Forum List

Back