Americans Aren’t Fit Enough To Fight

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
A recent Heritage Foundation report found that, according to 2017 Pentagon data, “71 percent of young Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the United States military.” Nearly one-third of those young Americans are too overweight for military service.

As reported, 24 million people in that range simply can't serve because they're too fat.

And you leftists make a big thing about our president not being able to serve for a REAL medical reason that he had no control over. In case you think our president faked it:

Bone spurs typically occur because of continued stress or rubbing of a bone for a prolonged period of time. This can be due to osteoarthritis or inflammation such as tendinitis. Normally there is a layer of cartilage along the edges of bones where they come together to form a joint. With osteoarthritis, this cartilage layer becomes worn away, and the bones can rub directly against each other. New bone forms in response to the stress or inflammation. It is the bone's method of trying to stabilize or protect itself.

But, getting back to the OP:

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas are where most recruits come from. And, a Citadel study found that recruits from those states are 22 percent to 28 percent more likely to be injured, with each recruit lost to injury estimated to cost the Department of Defense approximately $31,000

All because we don't allow our children to really play anymore. We can't let the poor little dears scrape their knees or, even worse, bruise their fragile egos. And even worse, they now spend all their time either texting instead of talking face-to-face or playing video games.

Will future generations need special braces or even electric carts to get from their electric junk to the fridge?

More of this sad story @ Are Young Americans Too Fat To Fight? The Army Thinks So

Childhood obesity is worse among 2-5 year olds @ Childhood obesity is worse among 2-5 year olds

1) and fast fodd, processed food isn't a problem.....the American diet sucks all around and
2) do not accept them if they are overweight or out of shape.

Easy fix

Again, before we throw kid under the bus, who is to blame?

First off, more power has to be given back to parents. I don't know about America, but in Canada, you can hardly yell at a kid, let alone smack them. What I experienced from my father would be deemed abuse, no question. If it were today, I might be taken from the home. Not all of it was positive for my upbringing, it creates some anger too, but ultimately, I always respected my elders and authority. Always, to a fault. This respect is vital as you tell your kid, "do this or do that" and they will do so. Now they play video games and tell their parent to "f off" as they know there's nothing they can do. How messed up is that?

So now you go to food habits, lack of activity. Kids sitting on their phones, in front of their TV, playing video games, and parents are happy they are home instead of doing God knows what so they let them eat chips, get fat as long as they aren't out getting shot at or shooting someone else.

Bring back some leeway to parenting. Make it acceptable to tell people, "I'm not going to raise my kid to be a moron" and go from there.

When I wrestled in high school, I was skinny as a rake, but strong because all I ever did was run and play sports. Literally we would sometimes play hockey for 5-6 hours after school and on weekends. Baseball for 10 hours! We'd take a break, go to to the store to buy a drink or rush home for a quick lunch, and we were back out. it was insane.

At school we had the "2K" runs, which wee 2 KM trail runs, I would sometimes go to school early as we had teachers who would donate their time, and at 6:30 am, I kid you not, I would run it 3 times before school started (we got credit for our runs to get school loot) I mean, I couldn't put on weight if I wanted, on top of being on the cross country team etc.

There are studies that suggest your body sort of creates it's "set point" of your weight early in life. I'm not skinny anymore after years of the gym, and of course slower metabolism and vastly less active life, but, as I did in wrestling with yo-yo weight shifting, I have lost 30 pounds in a couple of months with less effort than most. I attributed at least some of this to my active lifestyle as a kid. Who I admire most are those people who are obese their entire lives and as adults they lose 50 pounds, now THAT is impressive Will Power.

Too fat? They'll lose it after twelve weeks of basic...

Not if you are 40 pounds overweight and have slow metabolism. Though I can imagine some getting over it.

Without question though, and I know because I've done it (not totally by choice I will admit); one can lose 25-30 pounds fairly easily, even as they are older. When I say easily, I mean there are simple formulas. The difficult part is in the head. Especially when your dopamine system is all cranked up for that sugar or junk food fix. It's like an addiction for some to eat.

A recent Heritage Foundation report found that, according to 2017 Pentagon data, “71 percent of young Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the United States military.” Nearly one-third of those young Americans are too overweight for military service.

As reported, 24 million people in that range simply can't serve because they're too fat.

And you leftists make a big thing about our president not being able to serve for a REAL medical reason that he had no control over. In case you think our president faked it:

Bone spurs typically occur because of continued stress or rubbing of a bone for a prolonged period of time. This can be due to osteoarthritis or inflammation such as tendinitis. Normally there is a layer of cartilage along the edges of bones where they come together to form a joint. With osteoarthritis, this cartilage layer becomes worn away, and the bones can rub directly against each other. New bone forms in response to the stress or inflammation. It is the bone's method of trying to stabilize or protect itself.

But, getting back to the OP:

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas are where most recruits come from. And, a Citadel study found that recruits from those states are 22 percent to 28 percent more likely to be injured, with each recruit lost to injury estimated to cost the Department of Defense approximately $31,000

All because we don't allow our children to really play anymore. We can't let the poor little dears scrape their knees or, even worse, bruise their fragile egos. And even worse, they now spend all their time either texting instead of talking face-to-face or playing video games.

Will future generations need special braces or even electric carts to get from their electric junk to the fridge?

More of this sad story @ Are Young Americans Too Fat To Fight? The Army Thinks So

Childhood obesity is worse among 2-5 year olds @ Childhood obesity is worse among 2-5 year olds

Bone spurs typically occur because of continued stress or rubbing of a bone for a prolonged period of time

Now we know how Trump avoided service.....too much time rubbing his bone

I forget where I read it so this may not be accurate, but I remember reading that a shockingly high percentage of those in the military had never even been in so much as a fist fight before joining the service. What does that say (if true)?

Now we know how Trump avoided service.....too much time rubbing his bone

OFFS ... is everything about how much you hate The President?

Take a walk, watch a sunset, smell some flowers. Anything to get your mind off this obsession. Seriously, man. I'm worried about you.

I forget where I read it so this may not be accurate, but I remember reading that a shockingly high percentage of those in the military had never even been in so much as a fist fight before joining the service. What does that say (if true)?

Most kids join for the GI bill and never expect to go to war.
Sometimes they draw the short straw.
The only reason I never joined is there was never a war that I actually felt like I was needed being born in 65.

Most kids join for the GI bill and never expect to go to war.
Sometimes they draw the short straw.
The only reason I never joined is there was never a war that I actually felt like I was needed being born in 65.
...my dad said he joined the USMC reserves so he could play basketball--I never got the details on that-
...well--in 1950 they sent him to Korea where it got down to 30 below 0....he got hit ...recovered and went back to Korea

a lot of men join up never thinking--realistically--that they will go to combat

That they can still follow orders according to their training, and do their duty, even if not having a natural talent for fighting?

Wat?! Why? How 'bout freeze tag?

It apparently makes the slow kids,see fat,feel bad when they run around the playground sweating and are "it" for the whole thirty minutes.
Of course in the wisdom of our liberal ran schools they fail to see that overweight Tommy might actually become normal weight Tommy with some fucken excercise.

Since basic is not that long, how will that be possible?
I've seen obese men come out of boot camp fit as a fiddle only to gain it back when they get to their predictable sit on your butt duty station...the big boys should be kept in infantry after boot camp to continue their new way of life...

Forum List

Back