Americans don’t WANT electric cars. Is that a problem?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
CNN explores that question:

New YorkCNN —
The Biden administration is banking on the old “if you build it they will come” approach to cudgel the auto industry away from gas-burning cars. It also seems to recognize a giant problem at the heart of the long-awaited EV revolution: Americans don’t really want them.

CNN explains several reasons why Americans are just not buying electric vehicles. All of them seem pretty reasonable. None of them are anything like “because I want the Earth to burn!”

So what is the solution to this unwillingness to purchase electric vehicles? In a free democracy, the answer is obvious. People don’t want it, they don’t want it, so pretty much end of discussion.

Democrats, what is your solution in your vision of what America should be, instead of a free democracy?

Your answers I believe would fit into one of two categories: more incentives, or more force. no mystery there.

I’m just curious to know what you think that should look like? Please be specific.

New YorkCNN —
The Biden administration is banking on the old “if you build it they will come” approach to cudgel the auto industry away from gas-burning cars. It also seems to recognize a giant problem at the heart of the long-awaited EV revolution: Americans don’t really want them.

CNN explains several reasons why Americans are just not buying electric vehicles. All of them seem pretty reasonable. None of them are anything like “because I want the Earth to burn!”

So what is the solution to this unwillingness to purchase electric vehicles? In a free democracy, the answer is obvious. People don’t want it, they don’t want it, so pretty much end of discussion.

Democrats, what is your solution in your vision of what America should be, instead of a free democracy?

Your answers I believe would fit into one of two categories: more incentives, or more force. no mystery there.

I’m just curious to know what you think that should look like? Please be specific.
i don't wany an electric car either, and if you have ever had to evacuate a hurricane you would not.

but, as technology improves , batteries are made more reliable and ranges extended electric vehicles may become feasible.

does government have arole in driving this technology. i think so . other disagree. that is why we have elections.

on edit, i think that puts me on the incentive side of this issue? some may say that "forcing" them to pay for battery research is theft or such, but we have been paying for such research for a while.

New YorkCNN —

I have had trucks that could take flex fuel and never could find it!

i don't wany an electric car either, and if you have ever had to evacuate a hurricane you would not.

but, as technology improves , batteries are made more reliable and ranges extended electric vehicles may become feasible.

does government have arole in driving this technology. i think so . other disagree. that is why we have elections.
Sure, someday. Someday we may all drive hover cars or flying cars that eliminate the need for roads.

But it would be the height of lunacy to start tearing down roads in order to force Americans to buy flying cars that are not feasible.

It would not be much more sane to offer tax incentives and whatnot to convince Americans to buy these as yet impractical hover cars.

The additional environmental cost of transporting these batteries results in a higher carbon footprint than ICE vehicles. A 2021 study comparing EV and ICE emissions found that 46% of EV carbon emissions come from the production process while for an ICE vehicle, they 'only' account for 26%.Jan 11, 2023

Sure, someday. Someday we may all drive hover cars or flying cars that eliminate the need for roads.

But it would be the height of lunacy to start tearing down roads in order to force Americans to buy flying cars that are not feasible.

It would not be much more sane to offer tax incentives and whatnot to convince Americans to buy these as yet impractical hover cars.
I have seen the way people drive, forget flying cars! Unless I have missiles and machine guns like the one one the warthog

a flying car would be handy during an evacuation. can you imagine the air traffic control nightmare?

I'm OK with hybrids that can recharge as they go or top-up on 120 at home but I'd never even consider an EV.
They're just not really viable at this point in time. If the batteries were to get lighter and hold 50-100%
more power, then yes.

Beam me up Scotty.

Joe Biden is about to lose Michigan because the rank and file of the UAW won't vote for a guy who's about to cost them their jobs. He never was smart and what he's doing now shows it!

on edit, i think that puts me on the incentive side of this issue? some may say that "forcing" them to pay for battery research is theft or such, but we have been paying for such research for a while.

It's not driving the technology, it's foisting an inferior product on the population.

New YorkCNN —

A free republic.

Its as if Teddy Roosevelt shot all the horses and mules to “encourage” farmers to buy tractors

Its as if Teddy Roosevelt shot all the horses and mules to “encourage” farmers to buy tractors
Gives credence to the old saw "build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door." The current EV's, clearly, are not a better choice and the world is not beating a path to anyone's door.

Gives credence to the old saw "build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door." The current EV's, clearly, are not a better choice and the world is not beating a path to anyone's door.
Sane people are running away from the EVs

New YorkCNN —

It's a problem for your betters, who know how to live your life better than you do.

or if gm enticed municipal governments to tear up the streetcar tracks and buy busses?

teddy is my progressive hero. he loved horses (i don't know about mules) and made conservation possible. please pick another example

but the differences in who is wielding a tastier carrot or a heavier stick do not escape me.

Forum List

Back