Americans say they are paying too much in taxes

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Most Americans feel they pay too much in taxes, AP-NORC poll finds​

CORA LEWIS and LINLEY SANDERS
Sun, January 28, 2024 at 10:04 AM EST·5 min read

b974f550b99ba0b233094b057a652651

FILE - The Internal Revenue Service 1040 tax form for 2022 is seen on April 17, 2023. Majorities of U.S. taxpayers say the amount they pay in taxes is too high, with many saying that they receive a poor value for the taxes they do pay, according to a new poll from the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. (AP Photo/Jon Elswick, File) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)More
NEW YORK (AP) — A majority of taxpayers feel they pay too much in taxes, with many saying that they receive a poor value in return, according to a new poll from the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.
Two-thirds of U.S. taxpayers say they spend “too much” on federal income taxes, as tax season begins. About 7 in 10 say the same about local property taxes, while roughly 6 in 10 feel that way about state sales tax. Generally speaking, Republicans are more likely than Democrats to view taxes as unfair, to say they are paying too much in taxes, and to see taxes as a poor value.

"There seems to be a correlation to voting in people who want to raise taxes and increase spending to taxes going up", said one voter in Chicago. "But I'm with Biden, I blame Putin. By the way, we need to send the Ukraine more money", said the voter.

Another voter in New York responded, "I realize that increased spending increases inflation and the need for us to have more money, but if the government printed more money to give us to pay for it all we would be Ok."

"What?" said a reporter with CNN. "No one is blaming Trump or climate change or the Jews? Our education system is in shambles!!"

American's have voted themselves into $34 trillion in debt so they need to pay up.
No, they just need to get used to having nothing and be happy.

There is no paying down $34 trillion. That is not even a real number.

The universe itself is only about 16 billion years old, and Hunter snorts about $16 billion every day in cocaine.

I do feel bad for the sheep, but they are just sheeple. They will do the DNC's bidding cuz they control the media.

I don't mention the GOP because everyone pretty much ignores them anyway.

American's have voted themselves into $34 trillion in debt so they need to pay up.
Much as I'd love to disagree with this, I can't. We are our own worst enemy. We fail to understand that what most people refer to as the "middle class", constitutes the largest body of tax paying entities in this country. So of course, after giving their corporate and wealthy donors constant sweetheart tax deals, politicians then ask themselves, "where can I get the most money from without having to tax the hands that feed me?".....oh yeah...US. We deserve this.

Much as I'd love to disagree with this, I can't. We are our own worst enemy. We fail to understand that what most people refer to as the "middle class", constitutes the largest body of tax paying entities in this country. So of course, after giving their corporate and wealthy donors constant sweetheart tax deals, politicians then ask themselves, "where can I get the most from without having to tax the hands that feed me?".....oh yeah...US. We deserve this.
Nope, Putin done it.

Besides, global warming.

Much as I'd love to disagree with this, I can't. We are our own worst enemy. We fail to understand that what most people refer to as the "middle class", constitutes the largest body of tax paying entities in this country. So of course, after giving their corporate and wealthy donors constant sweetheart tax deals, politicians then ask themselves, "where can I get the most money from without having to tax the hands that feed me?".....oh yeah...US. We deserve this.

IMO the only way to stop it is for it to hurt paying back.

IMO the only way to stop it is for it to hurt paying back.
I'm not really sure how that can be accomplished without hurting the group that's already bearing the bulk of the responsibility.
There are four or five entries in our budget that constitute the bulk of our debt (and deficit). Everything else is just pissing in the wind.
Taxes must addressed first. After that, we can talk about spending cuts. But those cuts..are gonna hurt (as you said).

I'm not really sure how that can be accomplished without hurting the group that's already bearing the bulk of the responsibility.
There are four or five entries in our budget that constitute the bulk of our debt (and deficit). Everything else is just pissing in the wind.
Taxes must addressed first. After that, we can talk about spending cuts. But those cuts..are gonna hurt (as you said).

We could easily cut 10% and not touch any actual benefit or service. Those who profit off waste and fraud would be hurt.

Everyone thinks they are paying too much income tax ... except the 48-49% of income earners that don't ... while using government benefits, like earned income credit, to buy those new tvs and phones so they can watch the upcoming Super Bowl.

Everyone thinks they are paying too much income tax ... except the 48-49% of income earners that don't ... while using government benefits, like earned income credit, to buy those new tvs and phones so they can watch the upcoming Super Bowl.
Closer to 40%. And there are multiple reasons for that.

If conservatives really want smaller government (HINT: they don't), they'd support increasing taxes, on everyone across the board, until the budget is balanced. Then, and only then, will we find out how much government voters really want.·

Everyone should have some skin in the game, if not through paying taxes at least by having a job.

If we used just paper money, and colored it say red for debt, green for unindebted, both would have the same value in the marketplace. As debts are paid off the money would turn green, as new debts arise that money would be red. All circulating through the economy with few paying any attention to the colors after a while.

Regarding the debt it is important to know when it is due, as much of it is long term debt such as ten-year treasury bonds. So, if the longest term is ten years, we could say that 1/10th of the debt is due each year for ten years, thus $31 Trillion divided by ten years is $3.1 Trillion due each year. If we had a 50-year plan, we could pay it off $600Billion each year. That should be doable.

The debt incurred by borrowing the SS Trust Fund, now at 2.8 $Trillion will be repaid and off the books by 2035.

Last edited:
I don't feel overwhelmed by taxes. My discontent is with the distribution which I feel is totally backwards. Most of our taxes should go towards local government, next the state and lastly the federal government. This would fall in line with the services rendered.

Good satiric answers in article. With today's society sadly it's not hard to imagine those as genuine replies.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back