An anti-gunner takes the Red Pill on guns.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Interesting look at an anti-gunner who slowly learned the truth, took the Red Pill......

Sane people are able to change their view when they look at the issue, the facts, the truth and the reality.....

I even wished we could be more like Britain or Australia. Without giving it any thought to the matter, I had accepted the mantra of gun control.
-----
The Virginia Tech massacre was the first time I was forced to critically think about the fact I could be a victim. My time in Blacksburg was spent during the Clinton years. I was long gone by 2007, but the attack was still personal for me. It disturbed me in ways that reports of violence never had before.
------
I taught American politics in Canada for a couple years after the VT shooting.
-----
I dated a woman in the dorm where the shooting started and had classes in the building where most of the carnage took place. I distinctly remember feeling uncomfortable with the calls for more gun control laws. At that point, I was still firmly in the ‘guns are bad’ camp, but for the first time, I finally began to think about the issue.
--------
I found most Canadian students viewed the Second Amendment in the same light as fugitive slave laws…outdated and barbaric. The overwhelming view of my students was that the USA is a violent place because of the Second Amendment. At first, I can’t say I completely disagreed.
-----
Over a few semesters I dug into the history of the Second Amendment looking for material to present both sides. I soon found myself making a case for the Second Amendment to the class and actually believing the words coming out of my mouth. I also found myself somewhat proud of the views as an American. It’s indicative of the bias prevalent inside the academic bubble that my new-found knowledge still stirred some guilty feelings.

I returned to the US a modest supporter of Second Amendment rights. I was generally in favor of civilian ownership of firearms, but still all too willing to randomly outlaw something in the interest of the greater good. It was an improvement for sure, but I was still more an enemy than a friend of the cause.
-----
It took the Sandy Hook massacre for me to fully reconcile my conflicting views on guns. My daughter was the same age as most of the victims. So, like the Virginia Tech shooting, news of Sandy Hok was profoundly disconcerting despite the fact it had no direct impact on my life.
------------
The inevitable calls for more gun control laws and more gun-free zones suddenly made no sense to me. Mainstream media shouted ‘we’ve got to do something!’ For the first time in my life I asked the question; How will punishing law-abiding Americans make any difference to people willing to kill?

Thankfully, the internet enabled me to see that others were asking the same question.

With each passing year I became more passionate about the futility of gun control laws. The repetitive calls to restrict the rights of the law-abiding became insulting. I own a number of guns. I have never so much as willfully pointed one at another human being, let alone actually shot anyone.

My guns aren’t the problem. The 450 million guns owned by law-abiding Americans aren’t the problem. I care about human life and still want to do something about it. But nothing will change as long as we allow the leaders of American cities to deflect blame. African Americans and the urban poor continue to suffer because it’s considered racist to point out the real problems.

Last edited:
Guns don't kill people criminals kill people. Guns kill criminals who've committed serious crimes. Don't doubt me on this one.

Forum List

Back