An Expedition Reveals Stunning Biological Wealth in a Bolivian Park That May Be Opened to Drilling

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I focus a lot on hotspots for social or environmental troubles in the tropics, so it’s worth stepping back once in awhile to point to areas where the great tapestry of life is still dizzyingly rich — at least for now.

Such is the case in Bolivia’s Madidi National Park, perhaps best known as the home of a capuchin monkey species that got its formal name not from a biologist, but after the naming rights were auctioned off in a 2005 Wildlife Conservation Society fundraising event. (The winning $650,000 bid, from the online gambling company Golden Palace, resulted in the Latin name Callicebus aureipalatii — the golden palace monkey; the money covers park security costs, according to the conservation group.)

Now a biological survey, launched by the Bolivian government and the Wildlife Conservation Society in June, has produced a host of new discoveries, including an estimate that some 10,000 species of moths inhabit the park. The survey will continue for another year.

You can read more on the moth finding and the expedition from the wildlife organization below.

But I have to add a note of concern related to a recent change in Bolivian law described in detail by David Hill in The Guardian in June. Read this excerpt first, then go on to revel in the biological riches that lie above whatever fossil fuel wealth might be tapped:
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2...bolivian-park-that-may-be-opened-to-drilling/

And here is the site:
Identidad Madidi > HOME

Another place I have to get to before it's destroyed.

Forum List

Back