An Interactive Map of Regional American Accents, With Audio

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
ku-xlarge.jpg

16 May 2013
Looking for authentic dialogue and accents from all over North America?

Go to An Interactive Map of Regional American Accents, With Audio | The Passive Voice | Writers, Writing, Self-Publishing, Disruptive Innovation and the Universe with link to article.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. Having lived in different regions of the USA, what may have been the norm back in the 60s and 70s have weakened with so many watching and listening to “neutral” dialects on radio and television.

ku-xlarge.jpg

16 May 2013

Go to An Interactive Map of Regional American Accents, With Audio | The Passive Voice | Writers, Writing, Self-Publishing, Disruptive Innovation and the Universe with link to article.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. Having lived in different regions of the USA, what may have been the norm back in the 60s and 70s have weakened with so many watching and listening to neutral dialects on radio and television.
Can I bump this thread rather than start a new one? It's not an argumentative bump. I just figure since you already brought it up and are interested in the subject.

So I was watching Fargo and I thought, where did that accent come from? Germany

Where do Philly, NJ and NY accents come from?

And Southern. I'm going to lump all southern accents into one category but I bet a person from Kentucky can tell if someone is from Georgia or TN?

MI, Cali, Florida, Ohio, have the standard American accent. Usually newscasters have to speak this way to get a job. You never hear a newcaster with a southern drawl or a North Dakota accent.

Am I missing an accent? Hawaii and Alaska. I'm sure they speak a certain way.

Forum List

Back