Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Me at McDonalds yesterday:

"I'll have a number 7 with a medium Diet Coke please."
"Would you like anything else?"
"No, thank you."
"Would you like an apple pie?"

In what world is an apple pie not included in "Everything else"?

If you were even worth the money you make right now, you'd ask:

"Would you like an apple pie with that?"
"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

Sorry that your cashier wasn't up to your standards...

I, on the other hand, had great experience at the market the other day, and I had a terrific cashier. She was quick, efficient, a true professional.

I was in the self-checkout lane...

Sorry that your cashier wasn't up to your standards...

I, on the other hand, had great experience at the market the other day, and I had a terrific cashier. She was quick, efficient, a true professional.

I was in the self-checkout lane...

RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg

The problem is not the employee, its her boss. She would have been told to try and sell you something extra - I hate it, and I refuse to do it, because I know that if a customer wanted an apple pie, they would ask for one.
But we are expected to try and 'add value' - which is just a bullshit way of trying to get more money out of you - which means trying to flog you stuff you haven't asked for.

So don't blame the girl, blame her bosses who are so desperate for cash they harass customers for a few extra dollars.

Sales 101...upselling. I don't see any thing wrong with offering customers upgrades, add-ons, etc. to boost company profits. Then again, I am a corporate sales trainer.:eusa_whistle:

Sales 101...upselling. I don't see any thing wrong with offering customers upgrades, add-ons, etc. to boost company profits. Then again, I am a corporate sales trainer.:eusa_whistle:

I have a problem with it when I am expected to ask the hugely obese person in front of me if they would like a large meal instead of the small they have requested.

If you ask for a small, I am not asking if you want to upsize.

I think I am the only person in my workplace who refuses to upsell.

I have a problem with it when I am expected to ask the hugely obese person in front of me if they would like a large meal instead of the small they have requested.

If you ask for a small, I am not asking if you want to upsize.

I think I am the only person in my workplace who refuses to upsell.

If the expectation isn't enforced, then lucky you. There are plenty of businesses that if an employee refuses to to comply with the job description, it could result in a write up and/or termination...then someone else is happy to take their place. BTW, a person in sales is the hardest person to sell, but I certainly don't hold it against people in the service industry for attempting to be in compliance with their job duties.

^they taste like shit.

I was in the local McDonalds tonight. I ordered a grilled chicken wrap, and I asked for it with no sauce, but with bacon. I checked the receipt before I left and the girl who served me put it through right. The wrapping was a larger wrap but I figured they had run out of the small ones.
I get home, open up my wrap, and find a sweet chilli wrap with sauce and cucumber all over it.

I paid for the smaller wrap, but I couldn't eat the one that I got. Whoever was the moron who made it needs to learn to read.

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

A hasty generalization fallacy, incidental, anecdotal, and irrelevant – the individual you encountered is not representative of all fast food workers.

And I’ve encountered fast food workers who have done an excellent job, indeed deserving of $15 an hour.

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

A hasty generalization fallacy, incidental, anecdotal, and irrelevant ...

The pretty much summarizes the right wing response to everything.

The problem is not the employee, its her boss. She would have been told to try and sell you something extra - I hate it, and I refuse to do it, because I know that if a customer wanted an apple pie, they would ask for one.
But we are expected to try and 'add value' - which is just a bullshit way of trying to get more money out of you - which means trying to flog you stuff you haven't asked for.

So don't blame the girl, blame her bosses who are so desperate for cash they harass customers for a few extra dollars.

If your boss tells you to suggest additional products to the customer and you refuse to do it then you should be fired.

upselling means profit...simple as that....

as a new diabetic upselling and freebies are hard to deal with...upselling i really have no problem with....no i dont want the apple pie, thank you....no i dont want to make that a large....but the freebies...i mean its just kinda rude to turn down something that is free...i try to avoid friday shopping with all the freebies....and if worse turns to worse and i feel real pressured...i flash the medical id bracelet ..that either shuts it down or they relay a horrible diabetic story about a member of their family losing both legs....why is it always both legs? and the irony...dirty bill is a dble amputee diabetic...and a friend of mine but that is a long story

I'm sure the employee would just as soon take your order and move on to the next customer

But it is corporate doing the "you must push apple pies" crap. Do you think the employee actually gets a bonus for selling more apple pies?

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

You own that McDonald's?

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

A hasty generalization fallacy, incidental, anecdotal, and irrelevant – the individual you encountered is not representative of all fast food workers.

And I’ve encountered fast food workers who have done an excellent job, indeed deserving of $15 an hour.

and we all deserve unicorns in life too

The only thing I will eat at a McDonalds is their Egg McMuffin.

I will go back to a McDonalds only if I have had a good experience. I've had them screw up my Egg McMuffin and a medium coffee order, how do you do that?

I'm sure the employee would just as soon take your order and move on to the next customer

But it is corporate doing the "you must push apple pies" crap. Do you think the employee actually gets a bonus for selling more apple pies?

Of course they get a bonus. At the end of the week if they have done their job they are told they can come back next week.

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

and we all deserve unicorns in life too

Will they have wings?

"No, thank you."

"No, thank you."
"No, thank you."

Derp.

When one is going to an INFERIOR RESTAURANT AND ONE IS WILLING TO EAT INFERIOR FOOD, complaining that the service staff is likewise INFERIOR seems rather silly.

What do you expect for a $5 meal, amigo? the RITZ?

Forum List

Back