Another reason not to live in New York, Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Man, I can see it now.. the arrest records are gonna fill up fast.

Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

I frequently give police a hard time when they are infringing on my rights.

to annoy one is a crime? Oh well, I guess being a liberal around a police officer is now a crime, so not all bad.

mmmm....

New York is very attractive to me..... it will have to take something bigger than that.....

A felony? The (poorly written?) law uses the words "threaten" and "annoy" and gives them equal weight under the law? God help innocent citizens in NY when they annoy a Cop.

I wonder what will happen when the OWS crowd takes a crap on a cop car now?

It should be embarrassing to admit that people so badly harrass the police that it has to be made a crime. The police should return to the days when annoying one meant a billy club to the side of the head immediately. There was a lot less need for arrests and clogging up the court system.

Does that mean that if you refuse to allow a cop to search your bag, you could be seen as harassing that cop?

Does that mean that if you refuse to allow a cop to search your bag, you could be seen as harassing that cop?

That's doubtful. If a police officer wants to search your bag and you don't want the officer to do that tell him or her to get a warrant. They have the option of letting you go or taking you into custody until they get a warrant.

That's doubtful. If a police officer wants to search your bag and you don't want the officer to do that tell him or her to get a warrant. They have the option of letting you go or taking you into custody until they get a warrant.

They shouldn't be allowed to take you into custody, especially if they have no valid reason for a search.

Quite possible. It's not like there arent police officers who make up stuff to search some people as it is. Granted, i hope it's not widespread, but it certainly happens.

It's going to be hard to take away the magic of New York..... lovely, lovely New York.....

mmmm....

New York is very attractive to me..... it will have to take something bigger than that.....

I agree. One of my three homes is in Manhattan and I LOVE NEW YORK (in the spring). The rest of the year.....not so much.

It should be embarrassing to admit that people so badly harrass the police that it has to be made a crime. The police should return to the days when annoying one meant a billy club to the side of the head immediately. There was a lot less need for arrests and clogging up the court system.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Forum List

Back