Another reason not to live in New York, Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime

The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to physically attack a police officer while on duty.
.Its not already a crime to physically attack a cop?

Not necessarily.

For example, the guy in the white shirt in this video was just cleared of all charges when the judge ruled he did not break the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Republican bill, that passed the Republican-controlled Nee York State Senate, sponsored by two of the most "Conservative" members from western New York.

It's unlikely that the bill will pass the Democratic-controlled Assembly.

What the fuck difference does it make which party did it? Is your entire world defined by party membership?Forgive me for saying this, but that alone makes you sound more like a communists than anything I can think of.

By the way, if you think the Democrats are going to be the intelligent people here, can i point out that this has the support of the police unions? Do you honestly think Democrats are going to want to go against unions?

Police unions often back Republicans.

Police Unions almost always back Republicans. Particularly in NY.

It's a Republican bill, that passed the Republican-controlled Nee York State Senate, sponsored by two of the most "Conservative" members from western New York.

What the fuck difference does it make which party did it? Is your entire world defined by party membership?Forgive me for saying this, but that alone makes you sound more like a communists than anything I can think of.

By the way, if you think the Democrats are going to be the intelligent people here, can i point out that this has the support of the police unions? Do you honestly think Democrats are going to want to go against unions?

I think it boils down to me getting frustrated by people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to NY politics.

I spent a decade working on NY State Senate races, and it's frustrating to hear people blame shit like this on "the liberals" when the liberal members of the State Senate are the ones who voted against this bill.

Yeah, it's getting to the point you can't even walk down the street anymore with an AR-15 strapped to your back, your camera or camera phone in your hand so you can post to Youtube cause you forgot to get into the 'A Life' line during orientation.
Have you ever seen or heard of anyone walking on a street, especially a New York street, strapped with with an AR-15 -- or any other firearm? I don't think so. So what is the point of that rather obscure sarcasm?

That aside, let's stay with the credible part of your comment and learn what you seem to feel is not okay about cameras and camera phones. How about it?

It's going to be hard to take away the magic of New York..... lovely, lovely New York.....
Skye,

I was born and raised in New York City and I can remember when there was a unique kind of magic about the place -- from the Brooklyn waterfront right up to the George Washington Bridge. Briefly stated, I can remember when a subway ride was a nickel and it was perfectly safe to bring a blanket to Brooklyn's Prospect Park on a hot summer night and sleep 'til dawn after the starlight dances at the Band Shell ended. Today there are no starlight dances and one takes one's life in one's hands to venture into any New York City park after dark. And from that single example many conclusions and impressions may be drawn.

I moved to New Jersey when I retired in 1985 because the City had lost all of its former charm and was becoming oppressive, due mainly to noise, overcrowding, gentrification of its more gauche and truly magical parts, such as the West Village and Times Square, and the encroaching influences of a progression of self-serving political regimes that wrung the flavor out of the once wonderful and exciting places.

Today's New York is magical only for those who are wealthy enough to live there and move about in comfort, above and apart from the crowds and the ugliness.

Man, I can see it now.. the arrest records are gonna fill up fast.

Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

I frequently give police a hard time when they are infringing on my rights.

It makes perfect sense to me that people shouldn't be allowed to harrass or threaten a police officer on duty. How are they supposed to do their job if they are constantly treated with disrespect? It's ridiculous to think you should be able to hassle them while they are trying to do their jobs.

I think it boils down to me getting frustrated by people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to NY politics.

I spent a decade working on NY State Senate races, and it's frustrating to hear people blame shit like this on "the liberals" when the liberal members of the State Senate are the ones who voted against this bill.

First of all you have to show me where I blamed this on Liberals.

Since I didn't, your accusation that I did falls flat on it's face.

I was commenting on the bill, not on the political alignment of the people who supported it.

Senate Passes Bill Making the Harassment of a Police Officer a Crime | New York State Senate

The New York State Senate today passed a bill that creates the crime of aggravated harassment of a police or peace officer. The bill (S.2402), sponsored by Senator Joe Griffo (R-C-I, Rome) would make it a felony to harass, annoy, or threaten a police officer while on duty.

“Our system of laws is established to protect the foundations of our society,” Senator Griffo said. “Police officers who risk their lives every day in our cities and on our highways deserve every possible protection, and those who treat them with disrespect, harass them and create situations that can lead to injuries deserve to pay a price for their actions.”

The bill establishes this crime as a Class E Felony, punishable by up to four years in prison.

“At a time when shocking incidents of disrespect and outright confrontation are at an all-time high, the men and women who patrol the streets of our cities deserve every possible protection we can offer them,” Senator Griffo stated. “My bill would make it a crime to take any type of physical action to try to intimidate a police officer. This is a necessary action because we can see from the rise in incidents that too many people in our society have lost the respect they need to have for a police officer. We need to make it very clear that when a police officer is performing his duty, every citizen needs to comply and that refusal to comply carries a penalty.”

It makes perfect sense to me that people shouldn't be allowed to harrass or threaten a police officer on duty. How are they supposed to do their job if they are constantly treated with disrespect? It's ridiculous to think you should be able to hassle them while they are trying to do their jobs.

I work with the public every day and believe me, anyone who does knows they don't get treated with respect by everyone who walks through the door.

If you can't handle not being treated with respect by the general public, then you best find a job where you don't deal with the general public or grow thicker skin.

I was commenting on the bill, not on the political alignment of the people who supported it.

Where did I "accuse" you of anything? You're not the only poster in this thread, and I was speaking in more of a general sense when it comes to NY issues.

You guys like to call Bloomberg a "liberal" - and it's the same issue. The liberals in NY voted against Bloomberg.

I work with the public every day and believe me, anyone who does knows they don't get treated with respect by everyone who walks through the door.

If you can't handle not being treated with respect by the general public, then you best find a job where you don't deal with the general public or grow thicker skin.

A cop's job is not the same as just 'working with the public.' It is not the same as a teller in a bank, a clerk in a store, a server in a restaurant, etc. You can't make the same comparisons. A cop's job is very different and a whole, whole lot more than just 'working with the public.'

Where did I "accuse" you of anything? You're not the only poster in this thread, and I was speaking in more of a general sense when it comes to NY issues.

You guys like to call Bloomberg a "liberal" - and it's the same issue. The liberals in NY voted against Bloomberg.

I don't call Bloomberg a Liberal. He's not. He's worse than that. He wants to be a Dictator.

Having moved away from New York City in 1985 I'm in no position to comment on the existing atmosphere there. But in the half century I did live there I'm quite sure I never saw or heard about anyone having "harrassed" or "annoyed" a New York City cop. Never once. And I am certain if anyone ever did harrass or annoy a NYC cop, unless that cop happened to be exceptionally good-natured and tolerant, the individual doing the harrassing would have good cause to regret it. Because even a minor disorderly conduct arrest can be good for at least a day and/or a night in the infamous Tombs (City Prison) or Brooklyn's equally infamous Raymond Street Jail, both of which were likened to being"dipped in hell."

Having moved away from New York City in 1985 I'm in no position to comment on the existing atmosphere there. But in the half century I did live there I'm quite sure I never saw or heard about anyone having "harrassed" or "annoyed" a New York City cop. Never once. And I am certain if anyone ever did harrass or annoy a NYC cop, unless that cop happened to be exceptionally good-natured and tolerant, the individual doing the harrassing would have good cause to regret it. Because even a minor disorderly conduct arrest can be good for at least a day and/or a night in the infamous Tombs (City Prison) or Brooklyn's equally infamous Raymond Street Jail, both of which were likened to being"dipped in hell."

It is interesting that everyone is focusing on NYC when the law is meant to be a statewide law. And I agree that, at least in the past, anyone who would give a NYC cop a hard time would probably live to regret it--disorderly conduct, yep.

A cop's job is not the same as just 'working with the public.' It is not the same as a teller in a bank, a clerk in a store, a server in a restaurant, etc. You can't make the same comparisons. A cop's job is very different and a whole, whole lot more than just 'working with the public.'

In a way, you are right. Cops are held to a higher standard than a grocery store clerk. They have to put up with a lot more with greater restraint than the average person does.

That is why I didn't follow my father's footsteps and become a cop. When I got out of the military, a good friend of mine offered me a job as a supervisor at the local jail.

I turned it down.

I know for a fact that the first time an inmate threw urine or fecal matter or spit on me, I would not be able to respond with the restraint required.

I don't call Bloomberg a Liberal. He's not. He's worse than that. He wants to be a Dictator.
You're quite right about Bloomberg. His wealth ($27 billion) has transformed him into the equivalent of a pre-Revolution French aristocrat -- detached and delicately tyrannical.

He used his money to circumvent the two-term law and retain his Office as Mayor, which in his mind is a throne. He is the King of New York City. And to ensure no one else ever sits on his throne, he has recently moved to restore the two-term limit.

Fortunately Bloomberg is a relatively insipid and weak little tyrant who has never resorted to official actions which might be considered cruel or menacingly oppressive. But Bloomberg's ability to literally buy the Office of Mayor should serve as a warning that a wealthy and oppressive power freak could do the same thing -- and not only where the office of NYC's mayor is concerned.

That is why I strongly oppose the accumulation of excessive wealth and advocate imposition of a limit on personal assets. I am not opposed to wealth within certain boundaries. But beyond such boundaries wealth begets political power -- which soon becomes plutocracy.

In a way, you are right. Cops are held to a higher standard than a grocery store clerk. They have to put up with a lot more with greater restraint than the average person does.

That is why I didn't follow my father's footsteps and become a cop. When I got out of the military, a good friend of mine offered me a job as a supervisor at the local jail.

I turned it down.

I know for a fact that the first time an inmate threw urine or fecal matter or spit on me, I would not be able to respond with the restraint required.

I understand your point, but I was referring to the fact a cop has a much more serious and difficult job to do that could potentially place him or her in harm's way. Also, they are responsible for protecting others from being harmed. Either way, giving them a hard time makes it more difficult to do their job. I have a brother who was a cop, so you are not the only one who is familiar with a cop's job. I am somewhat surprised you seem to have so little respect for and/or understanding of what your father had to do in his job.

Last edited:

This is being done by statists.

Can we agree on that and simply condemn them, no matter which party they are in?

If by hassle you mean me not falling down and licking their boots when they walk by, fuck you.

Freedom has been diminished in NYC since Giuliani was elected mayor, Bloomberg has taken it to a new level, the city is safe and sterile and no longer unique, it has become like a mid west mall.
Based on what I've heard and am able to observe and feel during my occasional visits to the City I think your assessment is right on and very well phrased.

It's a good thing Giuliani didn't command Bloombergs kind of wealth (power) or things would be a lot worse. Sterile is the perfect adjective to describe what Giuliani did to Times Square, which truly was the heart of Old New York.

Forum List

Back